2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Denso IK22 plugs installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Denso IK22 plugs installed

Well, I did it. Myself. I changed out the OEM plugs for the 1-step cooler IK22 plugs. It took me just about an hour. The Fit runs very smooth. Can't say that I can feel many new horses but the engine is smoother.

I followed the instructions for removing the cowl from the sticky about installing new springs. When the cowl was off, I removed the 5 or 6 10mm bolts holding the metal tray in place and voila! there were the plugs on the back side of the engine.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:15 AM
how about your gas consumption???

Old 08-13-2010, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
From when I changed mine to before, I keep a very detailed fuel spreadsheet and my average mileage has increased by about .3km/l (.7mpg). I know that may sound like crap, but that is what I have seen in my average. My driving style has not changed at all, at first I was getting slightly less km/l, but the ECU seems to have learned. Or it could all be down to fuel between winter and summer, I am not really sure if Japan does the whole winter/summer blends. One thing for sure, we don't have corn in the gas here.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:06 AM
thanks man... i'll try Denso IK22, on my maintenance...

Old 08-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Sounds like a waste of money. Sorry.

myke

Old 08-23-2010, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=555sexydrive;897943 One thing for sure, we don't have corn in the gas here.[/quote]

Rice maybe?

Old 08-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by IBJanky
Sounds like a waste of money. Sorry.

myke
how can you say its a waste of money...

i think manufacturer like denso will not make such thing better than stock if it has no use...

trial n error will find a way...

Old 04-04-2011, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Installed the Denso IK22's - Good results

I knew my car would be down while I had the intake filter off for cleaning, so I used the down time for the plug swap.

I really don't care what the "all-knowledgeable haters" have to say about the swap. There are real-world results and an expert recommendation for the IK22 swap. I'll take the word of someone that races/tunes for a living (namely Oscar Jackson at Kraftwerks) over a keyboard skeptic any day.
  • Don't ask me about HP or Torque figures. I did not have the car dyno'd.
  • The engine idles much smoother. Yes, it IS noticeable.
  • The engine/powertrain feels stronger, like it pulls smoother and with less effort.
  • Holds low revs longer before needing to downshift.
That last bullet is the key for me.

My commute to work is the same every day, and 95% of it is interstate. I know where, when and why my car adjusts while making this commute for the past 3 years. Normally, I set the cruise at 70 and leave it for the interstate leg of my commute. While on cruise, there are specific places where the powertrain downshifts to maintain speed - sometimes it takes two downshifts by the time I reach the crest of certain hills.

GUESS WHAT? Today, the car DID NOT DOWNSHIFT at ANY of the points where it normally needs to when climbing a hill. It held the 5th gear overdrive position the whole trip! That is the first time it's EVER done that on my work commute. Also, I noticed that because of the decreased effort needed to climb those grades, the AVG fuel consumption estimator was consistently around 40mpg or higher. At some points it normally draws down into the 10-20 range, which I did not notice as much since there was less overall revving and downshifting during the commute today.

I'm going to top off the tank and see what the MPG number looks like after a week of driving normally.

So, was the swap worth the $34 it cost me for the plugs? Absolutely. Was the performance change a result of just having ANY new plugs installed? Maybe. My Fit has 33,000 miles on it, but the stock plugs weren't fouled, so it's hard to say if it's just a "fresh set of plugs" deal. The IK22's ARE different, and they do cause the ECU to "interpret" and "respond" differently to the sensor inputs. Be it slightly or not, there IS a definite difference in how the engine responds and performs to throttle input changes, much like the difference in going to a short ram intake. I didn't make either of these upgrades for HP increases - I made them for improved throttle/engine response. I got more than I expected, so I am definitely pleased with both changes.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
IK22 install feedback

Originally Posted by Jim2bFit

Normally, I set the cruise at 70 and leave it for the interstate leg of my commute. While on cruise, there are specific places where the powertrain downshifts to maintain speed - sometimes it takes two downshifts by the time I reach the crest of certain hills.

GUESS WHAT? Today, the car DID NOT DOWNSHIFT at ANY of the points where it normally needs to when climbing a hill. It held the 5th gear overdrive position the whole trip! That is the first time it's EVER done that on my work commute.

I'm going to top off the tank and see what the MPG number looks like after a week of driving normally.
I've had the chance to make my commute a few times. The only update is that I've run the A/C for the whole commute twice. I did get a few downshifts while on cruise at 70mph, but that only occurred on the hills/grades where I used to get two downshifts! To sum up, I get far fewer downshifts while on cruise, not as many while running the A/C, and almost no downshifts without the A/C (for my commute).

Oh, one more thing. My wife had my car for three days last week. She is not a motorhead, and I did not tell her of the plug swap. I asked her if she noticed anything different - she said that the Fit felt like it shifted faster and that it felt stronger - something was different about it - like it felt smoother.

Gas mileage has not changed for me. If anything, I would expect a little better MPG if I didn't drive so fast, but I'll take the 37 MPG that I average with improved performance any day. I'm VERY happy with the Denso IK22 plug swap.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
what is the gapping that everyone is using when installing their IK22?

Old 04-11-2011, 02:55 PM
I've had the chance to make my commute a few times. The only update is that I've run the A/C for the whole commute twice. I did get a few downshifts while on cruise at 70mph, but that only occurred on the hills/grades where I used to get two downshifts! To sum up, I get far fewer downshifts while on cruise, not as many while running the A/C, and almost no downshifts without the A/C (for my commute).

Oh, one more thing. My wife had my car for three days last week. She is not a motorhead, and I did not tell her of the plug swap. I asked her if she noticed anything different - she said that the Fit felt like it shifted faster and that it felt stronger - something was different about it - like it felt smoother.

Gas mileage has not changed for me. If anything, I would expect a little better MPG if I didn't drive so fast, but I'll take the 37 MPG that I average with improved performance any day. I'm VERY happy with the Denso IK22 plug swap.
Noticed exactly the same thing here! Except i don't have AC on my Fit!! The car definitely have more low end grunt!! The difference in power is worth about 1 sec in the quarter mile (Mid to low 19's to Mid, low 18's! I know it sucks!)) between the stock fit and the fit with IK22 plugs and my Fujita SRI installed.... About the same temperature, the same time of the year, the same engine not powerful enough to spin my tires....

Marko!!

Old 04-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by JJIN
Stock IK22 gap!! about .035in if i remember...

Marko!!

Old 04-11-2011, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
Didn't change the gap. I just took the plugs right out of the box and installed them. Well, I did check to make sure each one of them was the same, and they were, I just didn't write down what I measured with my feeler gauges. I do remember that I was a little surprised that the gap was noticeably wider (to the naked eye) on the IK22 than the stock NGK's with 33000 miles on them.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
what is the complete model of the spark plug?
DENSO=? this is for a '09 Fit Base automatic.
i want to change my stock spark plug to get better gas mileage

Old 05-14-2011, 06:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phenoyz
what is the complete model of the spark plug?
DENSO=? this is for a '09 Fit Base automatic.
i want to change my stock spark plug to get better gas mileage
Here's the Amazon link to the IK22 plug...

Amazon.com: Denso (5310) IK22 Iridium Spark Plug, Pack of 1: Automotive

Old 05-14-2011, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Jim,
At the end of the day, the only thing that matters, is whether you're happy with the results or not. Forget the rest of the negative BS comments. Based on your results, I'll give these plugs a try. Thanks for the feedback.

Does anyone have the link for removing the cowl panel to access the plugs?

Last edited by XJP5; 05-14-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member

when it says " makes sure it fits your car"
why does it says IT DOES NOT FIT a 2009 Base Fit?????
Amazon.com: Denso (5310) IK22 Iridium Spark Plug, Pack of 1: Automotive

Old 05-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Old 05-14-2011, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
Dang that is expensive on Amazon. The IK22 will fit our cars. There was at least 5 people who said they installed it on their fit why do you ask such a ignorant question? Also you don't have to remove the cowl to access or change the spark plugs.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
There was at least 5 people who said they installed it on their fit why do you ask such a ignorant question? Also you don't have to remove the cowl to access or change the spark plugs.
If that response was directed at me, I think you know where you can stick your comment. As a courtesy to this forum, I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by XJP5; 05-14-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Denso IK22 plugs installed