2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Denso IK22 plugs installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Not sure why JJIN is being a Dick. There are multiple mods or work to be done that involved removing the cowl. Plus multiple people have stayed removing the cowl makes this easier. Also it makes sense to ask because the Denso Ik22 come in different sizes for different cars. The ones linked before my post all state they won't fit so I checked which one would.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cowboy_Fit
Not sure why JJIN is being a Dick. There are multiple mods or work to be done that involved removing the cowl. Plus multiple people have stayed removing the cowl makes this easier. Also it makes sense to ask because the Denso Ik22 come in different sizes for different cars. The ones linked before my post all state they won't fit so I checked which one would.
you must be either misinformed or just have reading comprehension fail. your link to the denso spark plugs you claim are for "different sizes and different cars" are IK20 plugs which is a step warmer than the IK22 we are talking about here. also, those IK20's are THE SAME SIZE AS THE IK22. these denso plugs we are speaking of come only in ONE SIZE.

i said you DONT HAVE TO remove the cowl for SPARK PLUGS. if you were to install a strut tower brace/bar yes then you would HAVE to remove the cowl but, i never once said you dont have to remove the cowl for ANY AND ALL MODS. to prove you dont have to remove the cowl for spark plug change is my own experience with them.

im 6'1 230lbs and im big boned and have a big build. i did manage to scrape my arm a couple of times on the cowl, nothing that broke the skin, and i managed to change out the plugs by "feel".

im not being a dick... if someone is afraid that a set of $30 spark plugs wont fit, they shouldnt be changing out their own spark plugs in the first place.

as for you cowboy_fit, if you have had any experience with the spark plugs in question i wouldnt write such a loooong and repetitive response but, i hate it when someone with no knowledge and no experience try to "help" people. you yourself do not have any more insight than the person asking for the information.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by XJP5
If that response was directed at me, I think you know where you can stick your comment. As a courtesy to this forum, I'll leave it at that.
not you xjp5 it was meant for phenoyz.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JJIN
not you xjp5 it was meant for phenoyz.
Well then, my apologies to you JJIN.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:49 AM
5 Year Member
I have noticed the ignition is advancing more with IK22s than with the stock plugs... That is the reason there is a noticeable difference in torque that people are feeling after making the change...

Old 05-15-2011, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JJIN
Dang that is expensive on Amazon. The IK22 will fit our cars. There was at least 5 people who said they installed it on their fit why do you ask such a ignorant question? Also you don't have to remove the cowl to access or change the spark plugs.

I am ASKING COZ it SAYS IT DOESNT FIT ON A 2009 FIT BASE!!!!!
I DONT GIVE S@#$t IF 5 PEOPLE SAID THEY ALREADY INSTALLED IT ON THEIR CAR.
IF YOU DONT LIKE MY QUESTIONS GTFO!!!

Old 05-15-2011, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Has anyone tried E3's plugs on a Fit yet? I'm wondering how they compare. Check out the Horsepower TV dyno test on the homepage and see what you think ...

Old 05-15-2011, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
There were a few post from guys that had used them way back on here somewhere.. What I remember is that they were said to by delicate and failed to work... The IK22 Denzo plugs are said to give an advantage in power because of the tiny electrode not upsetting intake air flow.. The lower heat range extracts heat from the combustion chamber.. The ECU compensates for the drop in temperature by adding ignition advance since there isn't any pinging or knock being detected.... The results aren't unlike what occurs when using higher octane fuel.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
There were a few post from guys that had used them way back on here somewhere.. What I remember is that they were said to by delicate and failed to work... The IK22 Denzo plugs are said to give an advantage in power because of the tiny electrode not upsetting intake air flow.. The lower heat range extracts heat from the combustion chamber.. The ECU compensates for the drop in temperature by adding ignition advance since there isn't any pinging or knock being detected.... The results aren't unlike what occurs when using higher octane fuel.
Hmmm, good to know. I was considering trying the E3's but after your report, I'll go the Denso route instead. Thanks Coyote!

Old 05-15-2011, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jim2bFit
I knew my car would be down while I had the intake filter off for cleaning, so I used the down time for the plug swap.

I really don't care what the "all-knowledgeable haters" have to say about the swap. There are real-world results and an expert recommendation for the IK22 swap. I'll take the word of someone that races/tunes for a living (namely Oscar Jackson at Kraftwerks) over a keyboard skeptic any day.
  • Don't ask me about HP or Torque figures. I did not have the car dyno'd.
  • The engine idles much smoother. Yes, it IS noticeable.
  • The engine/powertrain feels stronger, like it pulls smoother and with less effort.
  • Holds low revs longer before needing to downshift.
That last bullet is the key for me.

My commute to work is the same every day, and 95% of it is interstate. I know where, when and why my car adjusts while making this commute for the past 3 years. Normally, I set the cruise at 70 and leave it for the interstate leg of my commute. While on cruise, there are specific places where the powertrain downshifts to maintain speed - sometimes it takes two downshifts by the time I reach the crest of certain hills.

GUESS WHAT? Today, the car DID NOT DOWNSHIFT at ANY of the points where it normally needs to when climbing a hill. It held the 5th gear overdrive position the whole trip! That is the first time it's EVER done that on my work commute. Also, I noticed that because of the decreased effort needed to climb those grades, the AVG fuel consumption estimator was consistently around 40mpg or higher. At some points it normally draws down into the 10-20 range, which I did not notice as much since there was less overall revving and downshifting during the commute today.

I'm going to top off the tank and see what the MPG number looks like after a week of driving normally.

So, was the swap worth the $34 it cost me for the plugs? Absolutely. Was the performance change a result of just having ANY new plugs installed? Maybe. My Fit has 33,000 miles on it, but the stock plugs weren't fouled, so it's hard to say if it's just a "fresh set of plugs" deal. The IK22's ARE different, and they do cause the ECU to "interpret" and "respond" differently to the sensor inputs. Be it slightly or not, there IS a definite difference in how the engine responds and performs to throttle input changes, much like the difference in going to a short ram intake. I didn't make either of these upgrades for HP increases - I made them for improved throttle/engine response. I got more than I expected, so I am definitely pleased with both changes.
yeah because bogging the engine is a good idea

Old 05-15-2011, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
yeah because bogging the engine is a good idea
I don't understand how you would come to the conclusion that he is "bogging down the engine"... If the transmission down shifts it is because it has to due to the engine not making enough power to maintain speed up the hill without doing so or the percentage of throttle being used to maintain speed is less than what it would have to be to need to down shift.