2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Ok doing my first oil change tomorrow the Reminder went off at 15% with 8989 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
Ok doing my first oil change tomorrow the Reminder went off at 15% with 8989 miles

Just as the title says, I just bought an STP oil filter today (man that thing is tinny... ) and i'll be putting in full synehtic mobil 1 in tomorrow (only because my dad has that crap all stocked up)

ummm soooo how much oil should i put in it? I kept trying to do a thread search because I remember there was a thread on it.. but the words such as "Oil" is too short and not specific... lol

I remember the oil fill was such a weird number that I was tempted to overfill so I wouldn't have an extra bottle just laying around.

8989 (i think or hope.. it might have been 8686 miles) Thats when the reminder went off for me, but I now have over 9k miles on the car, so I am giving it an oil change tomorrow. I was hoping my oil change reminder wouldn't even go off untill after 10k miles... maybe iam driving this car harshly and they are making me change it sooner.

Last edited by Vash; 06-05-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
welp all is done, that STP is soooo much shorter then the stock one on the Honda.. i wonder what brand will give me a long filter like that.. i don't like how the STP one is so short.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
In the owner's manual, it lists the amount of oil needed for an oil change, both with and without a filter.

To do a search with a word that is 3 characters, you would have to add an astrick (This--> * ) to the end of it. So, if you were searching like GE8 Oil Change you would type GE8* Oil* Change.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:58 PM
5 Year Member
oh yeah 3.8 Quarts i already put it in ahhaha

yeah man that oil drain and the filter was on SOOOO freaken tight... i had to like use a plumbers wrench to take out the filter. and a hammer to help me take out the oil drain nut.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
Vash,

If you wan't an oil filter that is about the size of the OEM Honda oil filter, I have 3 choices for you:

Purolator PureOne : PL14610
Wix : 51356
Napa Gold : 1356

All three costs a little bit more than the STP you bought but with way better quality. Purolator offers better filtering efficiency but you can't go wrong with either of the three.

Wix and Napa are both virtually/exactly the same. From time to time you can get a very good deal at those 3 filters. I bought 2 Purolator PureOnes before for $4.50 dollars each I think after rebate. Napa also offers good discounts for their Gold line of filters and I think they sold it for $4.16 each. You just have to be on the look out for those deals they offer.

Last edited by onemiglandicho; 06-06-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by onemiglandicho
Vash,

If you wan't an oil filter that is about the size of the OEM Honda oil filter, I have 3 choices for you:

Purolator PureOne : PL14610
Wix : 51356
Napa Gold : 1356

All three costs a little bit more than the STP you bought but with way better quality. Purolator offers better filtering efficiency but you can't go wrong with either of the three.

Wix and Napa are both virtually/exactly the same. From time to time you can get a very good deal at those 3 filters. I bought 2 Purolator PureOnes before for $4.50 dollars I think after rebate. Napa also offers good discounts for their Gold line of filters and I think they sold it for $4.16 each. You just have to be on the look out for those deals they offer.
isn't Fram what the stock OEM filter is? i was thinking about going to that.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Nice work waiting until 15%. Mine seems to be stuck at 30% with 6400 miles. I have to fight off the urge to change it every weekend. Lol!

Old 06-06-2010, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
Vash,

Yes, from what I have been reading, the Honda OEM filter is made by Fram.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
The OEM filters are made by fram, but i would avoid these... they have cardboard pieces were there should be metal, and the bypass valve is easy to open...
I run full synthetic oil, but isn't the first oil change a bit fast for this... usually you should wait for the engine to break in for 2 or 3 oil changes... but it's just my two-cents
As for the maintenance minder it seems that they come up a lot later on the GE than the GD... i think that mine lights at less than 6000 miles

Old 06-06-2010, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up Engine Oil Bible has great info!

WoW 9k miles on honda's oil and filter (fram)! 3.8 quarts. I just can't do that I am still ol school on oil changes 3-5k usally closer to 3k and NEVER could use a fram filter (can U say junk?) Wix is a good choice and Napa Gold as was stated earlier and with the hi rpms and the beating the 1.5L takes; Synthetic is a great choice if you wait 9K to change the oil (yikes) but that is just me. take care and good luck.

www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible_pg2.html

This is a great read!!

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 06-06-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
WoW 9k miles on honda's oil and filter (fram)! 3.8 quarts. I just can't do that I am still ol school on oil changes 3-5k usally closer to 3k and NEVER could use a fram filter (can U say junk?) Wix is a good choice and Napa Gold as was stated earlier and with the hi rpms and the beating the 1.5L takes; Synthetic is a great choice if you wait 9K to change the oil (yikes) but that is just me. take care and good luck.

www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible_pg2.html

This is a great read!!
well, my car is a GE8, its oil maintenance reminder is usually at 10k... mine went off 1k earlier then i planned it too.

but as old school as you are... the new school way of doing things is sticking to manufacture recommendations because even the user manual warns you about changing the oil too early because it has a factory fill in it where they overdose the the oil with molydbenum disulfide, sorta like what they do to their motorcycle engines. and that oil needs to seep in really good before you do the oil change.

i never seen a Wix filter before... they don't sell it at Advance or Autozone i don't think.

Even tho my new STP filter is short compared to the stock OEM filter (which is supposed to be a Fram), I think iam going to leave it in for another 10k or try 11k miles. My next switch will be Wix i think if I can even find it around. because i think even Mobile 1 and a few other brands are also this short design.. so it can't be THAT bad... hell.. i used Mobil 1 motor oil for my car..

Last edited by Vash; 06-08-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vash
well, my car is a GE8, its oil maintenance reminder is usually at 10k... mine went off 1k earlier then i planned it too.

but as old school as you are... the new school way of doing things is sticking to manufacture recommendations because even the user manual warns you about changing the oil too early because it has a factory fill in it where they overdose the the oil with molydbenum disulfide, sorta like what they do to their motorcycle engines. and that oil needs to seep in really good before you do the oil change.

i never seen a Wix filter before... they don't sell it at Advance or Autozone i don't think.

Even tho my new STP filter is short compared to the stock OEM filter (which is supposed to be a Fram), I think iam going to leave it in for another 10k or try 11k miles. My next switch will be Wix i think if I can even find it around. because i think even Mobile 1 and a few other brands are also this short design.. so it can't be THAT bad... hell.. i used Mobil 1 motor oil for my car..
My bad I thought you were saying you waited 9+k to change ur oil all the time (o u r say'n that k) Ya I know Honda wants us to RRRealy break-in the motor on the 1st oil. Wix is found @ Napa Stores.
C-ya O

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 06-08-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member
can someone please confirm this? im almost at 3k miles on my new fit, should really follow the Oil life% for this first oil change?

Old 06-12-2010, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gohdunlam
can someone please confirm this? im almost at 3k miles on my new fit, should really follow the Oil life% for this first oil change?
its really whatever man, theres so many cars that don' even come with molydbenum disulfide factory fills, the only 2 cars i think of is the Honda Civic and the Honda Fit.

and the rest are all motorcycle engines.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by cr4zy3lgato
The OEM filters are made by fram, but i would avoid these... they have cardboard pieces were there should be metal, and the bypass valve is easy to open...
I run full synthetic oil, but isn't the first oil change a bit fast for this... usually you should wait for the engine to break in for 2 or 3 oil changes... but it's just my two-cents
As for the maintenance minder it seems that they come up a lot later on the GE than the GD... i think that mine lights at less than 6000 miles
^^AGREE^^

One of the first things I did when I picked up my 2010 Sport was to talk with Honda service about the oil change routine. They had no comment on the filters except they had there own brand, but as far as going with synthetic they said no problem, but wait until you've done two conventional oil changes. The guy said it's recommended so the engine breaks in properly. I doubt you'll find this written down any where but it came from Honda.

gohdunlam It is written down to follow the MM display and begin to consider an oil change at 15% oil life. The reason for 15% is the fact that it's going to take most drivers a bit of time to schedule or do the oil change, that's all. Take it to 0% or minus life and you're going to be alright - just be sure to do/have it done.

And remember RTFM... EDIT: and do you really want to second guess Honda on engine maintenance???

K_C

Last edited by Krimson_Cardnal; 06-12-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Vash
its really whatever man, theres so many cars that don' even come with molydbenum disulfide factory fills, the only 2 cars i think of is the Honda Civic and the Honda Fit.

and the rest are all motorcycle engines.
The moly is not from the oil but is what the pistons and rings are coated with I believe. It's what shows in the oil analysis. And yes, you are free to do as you see FIT, but I tend to trust Honda on this issue - their engines are top shelf and that's because they understand what they're doing.
MHO

Old 06-20-2010, 09:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
The moly is not from the oil but is what the pistons and rings are coated with I believe. It's what shows in the oil analysis. And yes, you are free to do as you see FIT, but I tend to trust Honda on this issue - their engines are top shelf and that's because they understand what they're doing.
MHO
yeah i was actually thinking about it.. and i was thinking it could be from the pistons as well, because they make moly oil, but its only for motorcycles. or... they could be using the moly oil to coat the pistons... we will never know lol.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Interesting comments from you all. My '10 Fit has 1500 miles now and I always change my own oil at usually 3-4000 miles as it's so cheap. I will follow Honda's directive to not change the oil early on the first time. I was an engineer for Detroit Diesel for 22 years and being factory, I can say they only recommend parts and fluids that have been tested in their own labs. Everything else is not first hand knowledge whether it is better or not, so can't be recommended. It's their warranty after all, nobody else pays the bill when something fails. In the field, the factory will support the guy that can show he does it by the book, and out of warranty your chances are pretty good they will help you. The Fit engine is phenomenal! It is now being used in several experimental aircraft and I think will storm the industry as it is showing up in more and more air shows.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
ok so I know NOTHING about cars or chaning oil except how to love my new Honda Fit. I am at 70% and under 3K miles - but it's now 3 months old. I just drive and drive and do no service at all until I get to 15%? After that first (seemingly late) change - do I then resume the "normal" every 3 mo or 3000 miles?

I can call Honda dealer tomorrow - but thought I'd ask here too. Thx in advance if you wish to help a newbie.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:42 PM
It's all in the owners manual.

Change the oil when you reach 15%. You can actually wait till it's at 0%, but Honda says 15 to give you time to schedule an oil change. The MM will go negative too.

If you don't reach the mark in 12months then you'll be changing the oil once a year, or when you reach the mark again, which ever comes first.

Your normal change interval is whenever you reach the mark - not every 3000m/3months. That's old school.

I'm still struggling with this, however, I am convinced Honda knows their engines and how to maintain them.

BTW if you choose to go with synthetic oil the recommendation I have received from my dealer service is to wait till after the second oil change. This what I'm doing.

K_C_

Quick Reply: Ok doing my first oil change tomorrow the Reminder went off at 15% with 8989 miles