2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Replace glass on frog light?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
Replace glass on frog light?

I just found that one of my fog lights glass is cracked. Before it start raining soon - time to fix NOW!

I am wondering if I can just replace the glass or do I have replace the whole casing (hope not)?

If so, can you send me link/URL to purchase?

By the way, my FIT is GE - 2009 model.

Thanks brother!

Last edited by hkfooey; 11-07-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: typo for frog vs. fog light :)
Old 09-18-2011, 08:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hkfooey
I just found that one of my frog lights glass is cracked. Before it start raining soon - time to fix NOW!

I am wondering if I can just replace the glass or do I have replace the whole casing (hope not)?
Fog Light lens is not replaceable alone. The whole assy must be replaced, molded plastic housing and all, and that's how it's sold new, either through Honda or aftermarket. I've already replaced both fogs on my Fit and purchased the OEM replacements from Parts Geek. Excellent replacement, identical to the originals but much cheaper than Honda. I would also buy the fog light protective film from Headlight Armor. I have pics on my updates page...

Jim2bFit's '09 BSP Mostly Form Over Function Mods

09 2009 Honda Fit Fog Light - Body Electrical - Action Crash, Left - Driver Side, Right - Passenger Side - PartsGeek

Old 09-19-2011, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info Jim. I figure I may have to change the whole thing out... at least is less than $100 each.

I did a search on the site and found some users install a mesh to cover those lens... interesting concept (like I am driving a Range Rover in the jungle)...

Old 09-19-2011, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member
Old 09-19-2011, 09:18 PM
*Headlight Armor Film

*careful with the Headlight Armor Film, mine burnt within 4-6 months with occasional use. however, i heard waxing them helps durability against rain/snow/salt. i didnt do this, but maybe ill give them another shot.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Frog legs taste like chicken

Old 09-19-2011, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SenBlue09
*careful with the Headlight Armor Film, mine burnt within 4-6 months with occasional use. however, i heard waxing them helps durability against rain/snow/salt. i didnt do this, but maybe ill give them another shot.
If you're running the factory spec bulbs in the fogs there should be no reason for the Headlight Armor film to burn. I've had their film on my fog lights and headlights through one of the hottest summers we've had in GA - double digit days over 100, and I drive about 300 miles a week over HOTlanta asphalt to boot. I use my fogs a lot for safety reasons and have yet to see any evidence of the HA film burning with stock bulbs.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
they do burn

Jim's right: There should be no reason for the headlight armor film to burn using stock bulbs, but they do. I ran their yellow film for about a month at night time only with completely stock bulbs and ended up with this. Not trying to start an argument, just showing you the facts of my situation.

And I just realized that they look like owl eyes!

Last edited by teamkitty; 10-26-2011 at 04:08 PM. Reason: owl eyes!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Like i said: Careful with Headlight Armor film, they may burn even with stock bulbs...but who really knows why, maybe just a bad batch.

Last edited by SenBlue09; 10-28-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
Lol, the thread title was an attention grabber! Got me here... OP, you're better off with slapping on a mesh grille/protector than going film for your "frog" lights... Just don't know if there's one for the Fit. Home Depot special with some pliers and elbow grease might work...

Old 10-28-2011, 06:55 PM
Somewhere on the forum someone has done the mesh thing. That was my first thought back when I first came on and realized they're susceptible. Been lucky so far.

I would go for a 1" sq mesh and form it in the opening. Fastening it is the trick, but I'm sure I saw it somewhere around and not too long ago.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Post Headlight Armor Honda Fit Fog Light Protection Kits - A good Idea.

Originally Posted by Jim2bFit
Fog Light lens is not replaceable alone. The whole assy must be replaced, molded plastic housing and all, and that's how it's sold new, either through Honda or aftermarket. I've already replaced both fogs on my Fit and purchased the OEM replacements from Parts Geek. Excellent replacement, identical to the originals but much cheaper than Honda. I would also buy the fog light protective film from Headlight Armor. I have pics on my updates page...

Originally Posted by SenBlue09
From your sig "Halo 3000K Yellow Fog Lights" - the bulbs may be an issue. We do not recommend the use of our kits with aftermarket bulbs. "Brighter" aftermarket bulbs introduce more additional heat than additional light. Never a good recipe, especially given Honda's fog light track record. (I have owned sever Honda's personally over the years...)

Originally Posted by Jim2bFit
If you're running the factory spec bulbs in the fogs there should be no reason for the Headlight Armor film to burn. I've had their film on my fog lights and headlights through one of the hottest summers we've had in GA - double digit days over 100, and I drive about 300 miles a week over HOTlanta asphalt to boot. I use my fogs a lot for safety reasons and have yet to see any evidence of the HA film burning with stock bulbs.
Great!

Originally Posted by teamkitty
Jim's right: There should be no reason for the headlight armor film to burn using stock bulbs, but they do. I ran their yellow film for about a month at night time only with completely stock bulbs and ended up with this. Not trying to start an argument, just showing you the facts of my situation.
For whatever reason, yes your bulbs did burn the adhesive. Did you contact us?

Our products have been tested to 225 F for 30 min with minimal airflow without burning the adhesive. More on the testing on the site here

The Fit fog light protection kits (both the 07-08 and 09-11) have been extremely popular. In the years we have been offering them I think we have had only two cases of the adhesive being burnt. We do recommend turning the fog lights off when the vehicle is not moving / stuck in traffic for extended periods. Not really any point in having them on then anyway...

(Side note: Signed on last week as a merchant here, just awaiting a account status change)

Old 11-07-2011, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
To all:

I replace my Fog light with OEM and install the "chicken wire" (bought from Home Depot - cost less than $10)... on the other hand, I am using LED for my fog light, so heat shouldn't be an issue.

I can post photos later on (weather had been cold and rainy - will wait for the sun in weekend).

Old 11-07-2011, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
Cool! Home Depot special worked for you! Yeah pix would be good. Did you fasten them down with zip tie?

Old 11-08-2011, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
"For whatever reason, yes your bulbs did burn the adhesive. Did you contact us?"

No, I wasn't looking for a free replacement so I figured there was no need to contact you. I just pulled the film off and am running without it but would love to try again with a different batch. I'll send a PM...

Old 11-08-2011, 08:59 PM
teamkitty, PM replied and a replacement set will go out this week. Good luck with them, and sorry again to see you had an issue with the first set.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
HeadlightArmor, does the Fit Fog Light Protection Kit for 2011 models also work on 2012's?

hkfooey, we would love to see how you installed the "chicken wire"!

Old 11-08-2011, 11:10 PM
We have not verified the 2012's as of yet. The last time we were at Honda they only had 2011's on the lot.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HeadlightArmor
We have not verified the 2012's as of yet. The last time we were at Honda they only had 2011's on the lot.
OK, maybe you can post or PM me when you find out--thanks.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
I want to update my post from earlier and say that the folks at HeadlightArmor (particularly Greg) are a top-notch company and really support their customers. After seeing my post above, they reached out to me and are sending a replacement set no questions asked. I mean, I didn't even ask for a replacement set. That is unheard of these days and makes me proud to do business with folks who have the integrity to stand behind their products--and their customers with an experience like I just had. I will post new updates after some time with the new Armor on my fit fog lights and let you know how things are going. But I am confident in saying that I will support them from here on out and will continue to spread the good word any chance I get. Thank you HeadlightArmor.

Quick Reply: Replace glass on frog light?