2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Help. Air Bag Light On After OEM Seat Reinstall!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Help. Air Bag Light On After OEM Seat Reinstall!!

I need help guys,

I removed my 11 Fit passenger seat to see what would it take to install some 12 Si seats. Reinstalled the OEM and everything is exactly how it was before, but this light is still on. The guy from the shop said he reset the code, but it still came up. What should I do?

I called Honda and they said this may or may not be under warranty. And if it isn't, it's going to cost $110 just for the diagnostic. Help please!!!!

Old 06-13-2012, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
Disconnect the battery. Wait about 30 minutes. Disconnect anything that you worked on and then carefully reconnect. Make sure that you re-connect everything, and ensure proper and total engagement. Re-connect battery and see if that cures the problem. If not, just take the car in and say..."this light is on; what's up with that..please check it". You don't need to say anything else.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
Also, never work on anything that contains an airbag without disconnecting the battery and waiting for total system discharge. Pulling on wires, etc could set the bag off, resulting in personal injury. Otherwise there should be no damage just pulling and re-installing the seat.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
On my gd3 there are some cables and plastic connectors under each seat.

Sometimes the passenger one gets loose and tightening the connectors, pushing the plastic connectors together, fixes the error light. This I think is related to sliding the seat around, I also had leather installed so that might have jacked it up a little.

I think these cables connect to the weight sensors which control the SRS auto disable, for when you have kids in the front seat.

I took my to the dealership at first, and they charged me a bunch of money to tell me nothing useful. I found this solution here on the forums.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks guys. I will try this out and see if it fixes the issue.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
With the experience I've had with older Civics, Preludes, and Accords- If an airbag connector is unplugged (usually when the key is on), the SRS light will pop up because it cannot find the airbag. The light will stay on even if the bag is plugged back in because they want you to take it in to be checked out because it had seen a fault in the system. You'll have to reset the SRS unit to make the light go away. With the older cars, there is a connector somewhere near the fusebox with two wires. The connector has to be jumpered with a combination of connections and disconnections in order to reset the SRS light. If it is reset and the light comes back on, you have a problem with something you've done or the airbags in the seats you installed.

I'm not sure if the newer Fits have this connector or procedure, but you might look into it.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:25 PM
The newer cars now have weight sensors built into the seat frames which identifies if a child (under 45 lbs) is in the seat. When you remove the seat most the time the seat has to be recalibrated as the sensors are now "off". This is how mercedes are and im pretty sure every car manufacturer is required to have a system that has to be recalibrated.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
You pulled the wire to much probably damaging the harness wire.