2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Engine air filter help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Engine air filter help.

I know where to replace the cabin air filter for my 2009 Fit Sport but not the engine air filter. The Honda manual is useless, probably by design to get us in the shop, LOL. Can anyone tell me where (under the hood) the engine air filter is located and how to replace it? Thanks for any help.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:39 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Carlos-in-Gables
I know where to replace the cabin air filter for my 2009 Fit Sport but not the engine air filter. The Honda manual is useless, probably by design to get us in the shop, LOL. Can anyone tell me where (under the hood) the engine air filter is located and how to replace it? Thanks for any help.
If you have to ask, you probably should go to your dealer to have the filter changed. It is extremely obvious, and anyone looking at it can't be confused about what it is. It is the multi-chambered black plastic box that fills the space between the engine and the battery. There are two sheet-steel clips on the front and a wire spring steel clip on each side that hold the top of the box in place. You have to remove the top to replace the filter.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
That's not quite fair, everyone has to have a first time and the air filter is a good thing to start on to acquire some knowledge and confidence. As mentioned above you can locate it in the air box; if you need a picture go on google images (most Hondas have similar air filter locations).

Just as a caution, just don't undo anything in a catastrophic way. Everything you need to access the filter is held on by relatively flimsy clips or easy-to-turn bolts. Anything more difficult than that, don't bother (unneeded and unwise).

Hope that helps!

Old 08-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Open the hood. The air filter is inside the square box you see in the middle, next to the red plastic battery terminal cover and silver exhaust manifold. The front of the box is held by two metallic clips and the rear side has weird looking black plastic held on by wire springs.

If this is the first time you are changing the air filter, it would be good idea to take a picture of the rear two clips, so you know EXACTLY how the black plastics are held by the wire spring. BTW, the plastics may fly off, so release it slowly.

To replace the filter, remove the clips on the front and back, wiggle the box to get it loosened and then pull out the old filter, put back the new one. Put the box back in and reattach the clips. As I said earlier, looking at the picture you took, attach the black plastic to the wire spring and slowly but firmly clip in place. Make sure you don't drop the plastic into the engine bay ( I did that once and had hard time retrieving it).

It's a 5 minute job.

Last edited by CasualFitOwner; 08-25-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 08-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by fujisawa
That's not quite fair, everyone has to have a first time and the air filter is a good thing to start on to acquire some knowledge and confidence. As mentioned above you can locate it in the air box; if you need a picture go on google images (most Hondas have similar air filter locations).

Just as a caution, just don't undo anything in a catastrophic way. Everything you need to access the filter is held on by relatively flimsy clips or easy-to-turn bolts. Anything more difficult than that, don't bother (unneeded and unwise).

Hope that helps!
My reply was completely fair, and was not meant as an insult. Having to ask "where is it, and how do I change it?" indicates a complete lack of car maintenance experience. No big deal, but it may also indicate an absence of problem solving ability. The air filter inside the chamber only fits one way. If installed the wrong way, the top won't fit, which could lead to breaking one or more of the clips. The OP probably does not know that he can drive the car to get his own mistakes repaired without any filter at all without harming the engine (for a little while).

A five-year-old child can change the Fit's air filter. Like they say on TV, "Well, fetch me a five-year-old child then". It would be simpler for this guy to get it done professionally. Then we don't have to read posts like "Help! I broke my air filter, whatta I do now?".

It is much better for car owners to do their own maintenance work, even if they have never done it before. Just as long as they can afford the time and expense to do it again and again until they get it right. If they can't afford that, then leave it to the professionals and don't complain on forums about it.

Last edited by Triskelion; 08-25-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Smile thanks!

Thanks for the prompt help, gents, it was where I figured it would be but no harm in asking someone who's done it. To triskelion, impressions may not always be what they seem. I do have some experience with car tinkering, thought it might be good to use the advantages of the internet, nothing else. If you found my question suggestive of total lack of knowledge, you should hear some of the stuff my dental pts. ask me, it's a hoot. BTW, it was a 1 minute job, thanks again for the info!

Old 08-26-2012, 08:50 AM
I thought that posts like "Help, I broke my air filter, what do I do now?" are one of the reasons for this forum, along with "Premium fuel makes you taller" and "Can I fit larger rims in my refrigerator?"

Old 08-26-2012, 01:40 PM
5 Year Member
Google? Nah. Youtube? Eeeehh. Yahoo?? Far to unpersonal. Fit forum BINGO. To be fair I'm sure "honda fit air filter replacement" is a much easier and less needy avenue than posting....waiting..waiting .. smart ass answer...semi relavant answer..waiting... oh turn s out it was where I thought. Ps I do my own dental work well the simple maintence part anyways

Old 08-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Good for you, Joey! Brush after every meal (even snacks) and floss at least once a day. Don't wet your toothbrush, the paste is designed to work in the mouth's own moist environment and gets diluted if you wet the brush. Above all, DON'T CHEW ICE!
If something does break or fall out, don't ignore it. It'll only get worse, more invasive and more expensive. I treat 2 auto mechanics and they know these things by heart.
This is a token of my appreciation for you guys who helped out, thanks. BTW, premium gas will not make you taller, it'll only make your wallet shorter.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member

Old 08-26-2012, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carlos-in-Gables
Don't wet your toothbrush, the paste is designed to work in the mouth's own moist environment and gets diluted if you wet the brush.
I do not believe this.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Look for the engine air box. The filter is inside there.