2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

scratch on bonnet of car (black metallic paint)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 05:41 AM
Question scratch on bonnet of car (black metallic paint)

i've got a 40 cm scratch across the bonnet of my 3-year-old honda jazz. the car has "crystal black" metallic paint, and the scratches appear white, so i guess it has not gone through to the metal.

here are a couple of pictures:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

i called "chips away" (uk mobile chip repair company) but they cannot do bonnets or roofs. i'm worried that this is going to cost over £300 at the dealership for a full bonnet

respray? i saw some "crystal black" touch-up paint for sale at halfords (uk car accessories shop), but the reviews seem to be bad:

Halfords | Halfords Honda 'Crystal Black' Scratch & Chip Repair Kit

any advice on how to proceed? who could fix this without doing a full respray? or is it worth me risking this halfords repair kit?

Old 10-11-2013, 07:47 AM
because you said the scratches appear "white" I'm thinking you just have to do a clear coat refinish.

I took my Jeep offroading and a branch got me right up the side of the door and my friend whipped out some high grit wet sandpaper and his drill buffer and clear coat refinishing compound and he did it, scratch was gone!

I'd youtube that specific situation and see what comes up.

Could save you lots of money and you learn how to do it for the future.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
FWIW - My wife's cousin runs some sort a detail shop chemical business. His mother had her nice Ford crown vic scratched by a granddaughter with a rock all down the side of the car. You could clearly see what see attempted to spell out. It was bad. I thought that it would have to be repainted. Him and his brother spent a few hours carefully using a paint thickness gauge and used progressively less abrasive compounds. They wound up removing about 1/3 to 1/2 of the paint thickness. The end result was only one 6" scratch that was too deep to remove. The rest was amazing, you could not see any of the scratches. It took skill, technology, and patience, but it was worth it.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:25 PM
If you have your paint code get on to www.paints4u.com, they do scratch master kits that actually are good you would just require a decent thin brush and a bit of patience.

Used their stuff when my car had stonechips with good results following this guide http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=20127

Same principle as the stonechip shown light applications, just use the foam block wet and dry then the supplied G3 by hand.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:03 PM
I've used the Honda CBP touch up pen/brush for a lot of little deep scratches. It's actually really good paint and it drys fast. I think that scratch is a little too long to be able to fix nicely with it though

There's tons of videos on Youtube of how to repair scratches like that. most of them involve wetsanding, so if you're scared of that i'd just let a pro do it. I've done a few scratch repairs on my wife's car and the wetsanding is a little scary at first, but it will indeed be OK in the end haha

Old 03-21-2014, 09:56 AM
I also think that Honda CBP touch up pen/brush will work on the condition of any scratch on your car bonnet or any other part. But this pen/brush will help you in case of small scratches; if the scratches are so deep then you have to take help of dent painting. Any touch up pen will not work on deep scratches. Some car owners don’t have awareness about these small things, these car accessories are easily available on any online auto parts stores. These small tips can really help car owners to save a big amount of money in long run.

Last edited by sylvesteralexander; 03-21-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member