2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
Transmission question

I have a GE8 and I am having trans issues.
Drove three hours from home to cape may nj last night, upon arrival my clutch pedal lost it's strength (spongy non responsive) and the car stalled as I was parking it.
The car will no longer engage into gear when running.
It has no problem going into gear when turned off and / or in accessory. The clutch pedal also feels like it has more juice when car is off or in accessory.
Avalon Honda have my a quote for $4000 to replace transmission, clutch, bearing, etc......
Me, being 3 hours (187 miles) from home I am stuck wondering if this is a bad transmission and clutch issue like they say or are they trying to overcharge a "traveler"!!
My confusion is why foes it go into gear without a problem when the car is off?
Any ideas?
Thanks ahead of time

Old 06-19-2014, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
A clutch issue is not a transmission issue. Two separate units. But, based on the configuration of the engine/transmission, it may be difficult to service the clutch unit. I would assume the pedal uses a hydralic system to open the pressure plate (and if not then a cable). Did you check that? Sounds like the clutch is not "opening"...and it may be as simple as the mechanics involved between the pedal and bell crank/pressure plate.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 06-19-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:29 PM
5 Year Member
It goes into gear when the car is off because nothing is spinning. Rather everything is slightly moving (with the clutch closed) when you rock the car back and forth and thus it slides into and out of gear. Really very simple. You have a clutch problem...and most likely a clutch pedal linkage issue and not the clutch itself.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:33 PM
it not going into gear while running, yet doing fine with engine off is usually a sign of a bad pressure plate.

Find a local partsstore that stocks an exedy kit, usually under $200, and have a shop do the work. It sucks that it happened, but a grand at a shop is much better then some dumbass "honda tech" saying it needs a transmission

Why are dealerships so clueless nowadays? Nobody understands troubleshooting nowadays, and dealerships have access to the best tools for the cars they sell!!

Old 06-19-2014, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Open the hood and look to see if there is a hydralic unit somewhere between the firewall and the transmission. If it leaked, then that's why the clutch pedal can no longer operate the clutch. If its a cable driven system, then perhaps something slipped lose (either at the transmission end or at the pedal) and now the pedal is no longer able to pull the clutch open.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:39 PM
this is a hydraulic system, and after a quick google check, cant find any system failures. Did find a couple pressure plate exploders, a few being on this car forum

Old 06-19-2014, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
usually a sign of a bad pressure plate.
Could be...but usually that is not a "sudden" problem unless they explode from high RPM. And a throw-out bearing will groan and emit sound before going out. When you were driving, did you detect any slippage? If not, then sure sounds like a linkage (pedal to clutch) issue to me.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 06-19-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
this is why replacing a clutch on front-wheel drive vehicles is such a PITA.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:39 AM
it definitely does NOT look difficult in our fits. Looks easier then a lot of other FWD hondas, to be honest. small motor, mucho space!

Old 06-20-2014, 03:43 AM
Originally Posted by Spacecoast
Could be...but usually that is not a "sudden" problem unless they explode from high RPM. And a throw-out bearing will groan and emit sound before going out. When you were driving, did you detect any slippage? If not, then sure sounds like a linkage (pedal to clutch) issue to me.

easy enough to test.

car off, push clutch in, every gear should be easily accessable, with maybe a minor notchyness

If there is a clutch pedal or hydraulic issue, it will be tougher to go into some gears. NOT HARD. but very noticably notchy, or even a mild clunk going into gear.

All transmissions have a little bit of shaft play, if the clutch is pushed in and works, the shaft is allowed to use some of that play, to get past any edges of teeth in the way. If the clutch does not operate, it will be tougher

Old 06-20-2014, 05:05 AM
5 Year Member
About the pedal being spongy... I hope hatchpat didn't accidentally put windshield washer fluid or radiator fluid in the clutch reservoir.

I know the brakes change in feel with the engine on vs off (eventually to the point it feels like it locks up with the engine off). But I don't think the clutch would be affected by the engine.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
About the pedal being spongy... I hope hatchpat didn't accidentally put windshield washer fluid or radiator fluid in the clutch reservoir.

I know the brakes change in feel with the engine on vs off (eventually to the point it feels like it locks up with the engine off). But I don't think the clutch would be affected by the engine.
You're correct that the clutch feel doesn't change with the engine being off. The difference in brake pedal feel is due to the (vacuum) power-assist on cars with "power brakes," which of course is virtually every car made in the past few decades.

I would guess that there's some hydraulic problem in the clutch of the OP's car, either a leak or a bad master or slave cylinder. Spongy feel would be explained by some air getting into the lines. Regardless, it's clearly a clutch issue of some sort, be it in the hydraulics or the clutch proper.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers

Def didn't pit windshield washer fluid or radiator fluid in the clutch reservoir!! That's just dumb!!!
Been working in cars too long to do something like that!!
Cars getting picked up tomorrow morning and trailered up to my shop.
I will take the tranny off and check it all out.
Hoping it's just a clutch issue, but if it's the tranny tgen it's the tranny!!
Whatever needs to be done to get it moving again!!
Funny how I was going to install my coilovers this week. Guess I'll be doing that and fixing the tranny.
An expensive necessity for sure!!

Old 06-20-2014, 06:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
it not going into gear while running, yet doing fine with engine off is usually a sign of a bad pressure plate.

Find a local partsstore that stocks an exedy kit, usually under $200, and have a shop do the work. It sucks that it happened, but a grand at a shop is much better then some dumbass "honda tech" saying it needs a transmission

Why are dealerships so clueless nowadays? Nobody understands troubleshooting nowadays, and dealerships have access to the best tools for the cars they sell!!
Thanks for the input.
I agree it's a shame the way dealerships handle things.
When I went there yesterday, the service MANAGER told me he is sorry this happened to my car and he said it sucks the cost is so high, all before telling me he is glad I am getting it towed out if the dealership because it's not really something they want to do right now. He said he would rather do 20 brake jobs than swapping out a tranny.
Really?
Is that why the quote was so high!! Probably not, but seemed a little suspect!!
Taking it to my friends shop, I will do it myself and I'll get it done quicker than 8-9 hours!!

Old 06-20-2014, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
New update.
Cars getting picked up tomorrow morning by my friends friend (good to know people) for $400. Taking to my friends shop (CCP in rockaway NJ (free plug))!! And then we will begin work!!
And total for everything will be much cheaper than $5000 for everything!!

Old 06-20-2014, 07:02 PM
5 Year Member
Hatchpat!!! no!!!!

Sorry this is happening to you bud....BTW put that Honda dealership on blast here!
The fact they would show that level of disrespect to someone who obviously loves their Honda product is shameful and that dealership should be losing business if their philosophy is to maximize the number of easy jobs they do...master tech's my ass....

nowadays a master tech is more likely to be found running their own shop with the way dealerships treat service personnel. (no offense to any MT's on the board, I speak from my own experience at 5 honda dealerships throughout NJ).

Keep us updated and hope you get it resolved at minimal expense!

Old 06-21-2014, 01:55 AM
Get someone to watch the slave cylinder while you push in the clutch. If it doesn't move, or doesn't move much, then it's your hydraulic system and your transmission can stay in the car. If it is moving as it should, then something is wrong with your clutch and the transmission needs to be dropped. From what you described it doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with the actual transmission.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
From what you described it doesn't sound like there is anything wrong with the actual transmission.
that is also what I said from the start, but perhaps this advice goes unheeded?
You have a clutch problem...and most likely a clutch pedal linkage issue and not the clutch itself.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spacecoast
that is also what I said from the start, but perhaps this advice goes unheeded?
That's what we are hoping for!!
Having car trailered from the honda dealer to my friends shop.
We will go from there!!

Old 06-21-2014, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
dat sucks pat. get that ish repaired quick! good luck!

Quick Reply: Transmission question