2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Best time to change oil for infrequent driver?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 06:32 PM
Best time to change oil for infrequent driver?

Hey guys,

I could not find a specific thread that had an answer to my question so here I am with my question.

I have a 2010 fit and have not driven it much since, due to my illness, and use it mostly for small errands and emergencies. Currently I have around 11,500 miles and have only changed the oil and rotated the tires in oct 2012 at around 7,000 miles.

I took my car to my local honda service center for an oil change and they told me I didn't need one since my MM was still at 50% oil life. So I came back home and called a different honda service center and their technician told me either 15% left on the MM or 1 year for oil change on my fit.

Do you guys think I should wait for the MM to come on or change it every year regardless of how many miles?

and what are the intervals for tire rotations?

My battery has died twice due to me not driving it enough and when I do I only drive about 5 min about once or twice a week. I read that I at least need to drive it twice a week and at least 20 min to evaporate any moisture in the engine oil?

I want to prolong the life of this car is there any other maintenace or care that I should be doing to extend the life as long as possible for the car?

thanks for the help.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TheEnergy
So I came back home and called a different honda service center and their technician told me either 15% left on the MM or 1 year for oil change on my fit.

Do you guys think I should wait for the MM to come on or change it every year regardless of how many miles?
The owners manual explicitly states to change it once a year or at 15% life, whichever comes first. So, in your situation I'd do an annual change.

Me, I've found that I hit 15% just about every 13 months, so I just let it go until then...

Old 04-27-2015, 07:57 PM
x2 on the annual oil change as per the owner's manual.

For the battery, look for a battery tender or float charger (basically the same thing); Harbor Freight, among many other places, sells one that's inexpensive and generally does the trick. Alternately, if you park outside, you could get a solar panel to keep the battery charged up. (Do be aware that the ones that plug into the cigarette lighter won't work on the Fit because the lighter socket is not live when the ignition is off. You'll need something wired more directly to the battery.)

Old 04-28-2015, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
I also agree with the Second Honda Dealer. MM or once a year. If it is an annual change I usually try to do it just before winter. Many of my vehicles do not get driven or driven much in the winter. I like to have fresh oil in them when parked for extended periods of time. I even change my lawn tractor in November before parking it for the winter. My exception to that is my John Deer diesel which I use all winter plowing snow. It gets more hours in the winter than the summer.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:25 AM
5 Year Member
While low mileage a couple other things that are more time related.

Brake fluid should be replaced every 3 years and also time for tranny fluid change.

I am low mileage as well with only about 36,000 in 6 years.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Ultra Low Milelage

I've REALLY got to drive the Fit more..LOL, I just celebrated its' third anniversary and I only have 13,331 miles!!!

Old 05-04-2015, 01:38 PM
"Change the oil and filter in accordance with the Maintenance Minder message on the information display." "If a message SERVICE does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year." So for the initial oil change just follow the maintenance minder. Once the display has been *reset* THEN follow the maintenance minder/or every 12 months whichever comes first. Really, that is what it actually says.