2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

blown spark plug (#2) twice

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 07:58 PM
blown spark plug (#2) twice

I’ve found a few other people who have had this happen to them once, but no one else where it has happened twice. I have a 2011 fit sport, 5 spd. In 2013 I was about 41K miles in when I lost all acceleration on the car while driving on the highway. I was fortunate to make it to a place where I could pull over safely and had to get the car towed to the dealer. When I lost acceleration I didn’t hear any unusual noises or smells; the check engine light did not come on until after I pulled over and tried, unsuccessfully, to restart the car. They explained that the spark plug in cylinder #2 had exploded (I later saw it was in pieces) and destroyed the cylinder head to where it needed to be replaced. They covered it under warranty repair, so I got out at a reasonable price for just the initial diagnostic.

Now just shy of two years later at 71K miles I had the same thing happen. This time I was city driving and felt the car shake (misfire?) at two stoplights in a row before losing some of the power and was able to pull over very quickly to assess the situation. I had a feeling it was the same thing and was close to the same dealer and was able to drive it in from there. This time the check engine light came on as soon as I lost the spark plug. Sure enough once they ran the diagnostic it was the same issue and again the second cylinder. This time it took 7 (!) weeks for them to repair it as the cylinder head was on “national backorder” (make me wonder how common this is…).

After all was said and done the dealer has NO explanation for why this could have happened once, much less twice. They didn’t find anything wrong beyond the blown plug that destroyed the cylinder head. They’ve told me the problem is fixed, but I have no assurance that this won’t happen a third time. They did tell me that I am “the” or “one of the” first people to have this issue come up twice. But, that doesn’t leave me feeling any more certain that I won’t deal with this again if I hang on to the car.

From the searching I’ve done it seems to almost always be the second cylinder when cars blow the spark plug.

The good news, is that the dealer covered the entirety of the second repair; I didn’t even pay for the diagnostic test.

Since I couldn’t find anyone else who had this happen to them twice, just wanted to share my story in case anyone else is researching as well.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
I'm looking forward to the responses to your issue.

Old 11-05-2015, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
I havent heard of anyone who had it happen twice.
I checked spark plugs on my '12 at around 25K and they were all tight.
The 2010 has about 60K miles now and never had its plugs checked.

Yours must have not been tightened correctly or you had either defective plugs or cylinder head.
I think the odds of this happening again are slim. Drive it normally, use quality gas and oil and forget about this. Be glad you got a head (I mean a new head )

Old 11-05-2015, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
My experience has been that loose plugs blow out.

I don't know that anyone has proven why some plugs loosen over a bunch of time and miles, and others do not.