2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Retrofit OEM cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 02:52 PM
Retrofit OEM cruise control

So, there sure is a lot of discussion over the internet about this retrofit. But there really isn't any decent DIY for this. Is it because it's impossible or is it just too big job to do?

I quote a very good post from another forum about this:

No actual experience but maybe you'd like some information.

I'll write in general terms for a wider audience and assume the GE is the same as the GG.

Anyone investigating the wiring in the steering column and steering wheel should take precautions to avoid triggering the airbag - i.e. disconnect the battery.

Standard cruise control (CC) does not brake, it only controls throttle position to maintain speed.

The control buttons, blanking plate & wiring loom are interchangeable between the different steering wheels.

Honda often seems to omit the wires from the loom if an option is not fitted. The multi-pin connectors will be the same size & format but you may need to add extra pins from a similar Honda plug, there are different sized pins in green and white plugs.

The airbag trigger, audio control, info/reset buttons, and cruise controls must pass through the cable reel in the steering column. This usually is a standard part and has enough separate wires to support the options, but the connector from the cable reel on the dashboard side may be missing pins and wires for the feature you want to add (i.e. cars without steering wheel audio controls do not have wires from the cable reel to the audio head unit but two wires and pins can be added to support this feature).

The basic parts needed to support cruise control are - output shaft speed sensor, throttle position sensor, throttle actuator, throttle pedal position, brake pedal switch and clutch pedal or auto position switch. In their basic form these are on every car, but cruise control cars have a 2-pole 4-pin brake pedal switch, and a second clutch position switch B instead of the travel adjustment bolt.

The Jazz GE has two primary electronic units - the ECM/PCM engine/powertrain control module, and the GCM gauge control module which supports much more than just the instruments, e.g. it stores the odometer and service interval counter, plus it manages the keys / security functions, and interprets button presses. These two modules are connected by the communication network CAN-bus, a differential pair of signal wires CAN-high & CAN-low.

The cruise control buttons are only connected to the GCM, it in turn then sends/receives CAN-bus commands to the ECM/PCM. The pedals and transmission switches & sensors are connected to the ECM/PCM.

The CC wiring for the dashboard side of the cable reel is:

[tt]Pin Colour Function
10 GRY Button illumination +ve feed
9 BLK Button illumination ground >> to ground point G501
1 ORN Set/Cancel/Resume/Horn +ve switch feed
2 BLK CC main switch ground >> to ground point G501
15 PNK CC main switch >> to GCM pin 22
13 RED Set/Decel >> to GCM pin 20
14 BLU Resume/Accel >> to GCM pin 19
- - Cancel = both Set+Resume pressed[/tt]

The GCM gauge control module is connected to the ECM/PCM on all cars:
[tt]30 WHT CAN-high >> A3
29 RED CAN-low >> A4[/tt]

The wiring for the brake pedal switch is:

[tt]Pole Pin Colour Function
1 1 WHT Permanent +ve battery via fuse #24 15amp
1 2 LT_GRN to ECM pin A42 BKSW
2 3 YEL Ignition +ve battery via fuse #12 10amp
2 4 BRN to ECM pin A41 BKSWNC[/tt]

The wiring for (M/T only) clutch switch B is:

[tt]Pin Colour Function
1 WHT ECM/PCM control signal to A43
2 BLK To ground point G401
[/tt]
For (A/T only) the shift lever position is reported by:[tt]
6 BLU/YEL ECM/PCM B29 >> ground when in D or S
1 BLK Ground[/tt]

The vehicle speed sensor is:[tt]
1 YEL/RED VCC1 5v
2 BLK/WHT Signal to ECM/PCM B38
3 GRN/WHT Ground[/tt]

The complete wiring for the CC related ECM/PCM connections are:

[tt]Pin Colour Function
A3 WHT CAN-high
A4 RED CAN-low
A41 BRN BKSWNC
A42 LT-GRN BKSW
A43 WHT Clutch switch B (for M/T) CRMT-CLS
B29 BLU/YEL Transmission range switch (for A/T) ATP-FWD
B38 BLK/WHT Output shaft (countershaft) speed sensor
C3 YEL Throttle actuator ECTSM-
C4 YEL/RED Throttle actuator ECTSM+
C12 BLU Throttle sensor VCC3
C20 RED/BLK Throttle sensor THLA
C21 RED Throttle sensor THLB
C43 GRN Throttle sensor SG3[/tt]

ECM/PCM connectors A, B & C are 49 pin although not every pin is used.

You can test the CC button functions and pedal responses in Honda HDS by monitoring the PGM-FI data list.

You can test the gauge control unit to see if the two cruise control indicators illuminate by performing the gauge test function in HDS or:

- Hold down the Select/Reset button
- Turn light switch on
- Turn ignition switch to ON(II)
- Turn lights off-on-off
- Release Select/Reset then press it 3 times

- Use Select/Reset or Odo/Trip to trigger tests.

- Switch off ignition to exit.
There is also a very good post of retrofitting the steering wheel audio controls: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-controls.html

So for me the situation is that I have 2011 Jazz with audio and board computer controls on steering wheel. I've ebayed myself leather steering wheel (from 3000km driven) Jazz with audio, board computer and cruise control buttons. I've also done the gauge test and CRUISE is illuminated on dash.

So what's next? How to check if I have the correct brake switch? What else there should be?

Let's find this out together!