DIY Removing Center Console, Drilling and Feeding AUX Cord

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
DIY Removing Center Console, Drilling and Feeding AUX Cord

Ok, so I use the aux port a lot... and I hate having to deal with the cord going everywhere. So, I decided to drill holes in my console, and feed the cord under so there is less cord to deal with, and it looks more organized. I thought it was a good idea, so I'm giving it too whomever does too.

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor FITFREAK.NET take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!
(... Thanks KoolKevin... hahah)

btw for your own safety, use safety glasses, and handle the tools with care. I cut myself grabbing the drill bit wrong. hahaha

Tools: Honda Fit (lol...), Screwdriver, drill, 1/2 drill bit (pending on aux cord size), 20 mins?

First, you need to remove the clips on both sides, towards the front of the center console.

To remove the clips, push the center in, and pop it out.

Next, you remove the screws from the back lower portion of the console.

Then, you remove the pawl. (Be patient, may take some elbow grease!). The pawl is the thing right below the hand brake. You'll know what I am talking about if you try and remove the console without removing the pawl... it wont happen. haha

Before you are able to take off the console completely you must do two things.

For AT models, Shift into S.
Fot MT models, shit to neutral, and remove the shift knob

Then you need to unplug the aux jack, and the electric socket. (socket is a bit challenging... just wiggle until it comes out) sorry no pics... concetrating a bit hard. HAHAHA

Remove the console completely, and begin the drilling.

drill the holes where ever you wish. I chose right below the aux jack, and in the middle pocket (the thin one right next to the hand brake). After the holes have been drilled, feed the cord through the holes and pull out as much of the cord as you want.

Then, i used a zip tie to hold all of the excess wire together. You can use rubber bands, twisty ties, or tape to hold them together if zipties are unavailable.

After that's all finished, plug everything back in (aux and socket) and reuse the screws, clips and pawl.

Here's the product:

This is my first DIY... not very cool, but easy. Let me know what you think... lol

Last edited by saiko; 12-18-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:13 PM
good job on your first DIY

Personally, I would have removed the OEM port completely and re-mounted it elsewhere, and just made a cap that covers the old hole where the old port used to be. OR better yet, just buy another panel-mount jack much like the OEM one and mount it elsewhere... and just disconnect the stock jack and leave it there.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
+1 for a good idea not many people think of, and clean way of doing it. I'm sure others will follow suit and we'll see variations/customizations of this trick. nice.
Between my gps, phone charger(when using it), and my aux cable, I've given up on trying to make things clean and uncluttered.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
hahaha u used my disclaimer. I always get told to add it to my DIY's by the moderators and administration so i've gotten a habit of doing that. =] Nice writeup BTW i hate all my wires going everywhere also.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback! I'll probably have some more easy mods later. No time right now... finals, Christmas, New Years, etc... hahahah

Last edited by saiko; 12-18-2007 at 11:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:46 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Anymore feeback?

Old 12-20-2007, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for posting this up. While I probably won't be drilling anything for the AUX input cable, this has definitely given me a few things to keep in mind when I replace my center console on Christmas day.

-Mike

Old 12-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Yeah, I'm planning on buying the jdm center console, so i practiced drilling on the one i have now... cause i wanted to drill holes in the compartment for my aux and phone charger so i can put them both in the compartment... it'll keep it less cluttered.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Nice, I don't plan on drilling holes, but i do plan on buying a jdm console! Now i know how to take it off (although, it might have been easy to figure out?)

Old 01-03-2014, 11:12 PM
another way

I use a retractable audio cord, available on Amazon for cheap. Winds up tight when not in use, reaches just up to my dash-mounted iPod when I want it.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:25 AM
Yam
really stupid question but.... how do you take the shift knob off?

Old 07-13-2015, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Unrelated to topic, but related to your car... what shift knob and boot cover are you using? I like the look.