Replacing Stock Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Replacing Stock Speakers

I have been a lurker for a while - and decided to join today. I plan on buying a 2010 Honda Fit Sport in about a month and was wondering if anyone here can suggest an aftermarket speaker upgrade for the Fit.

I want my speaker upgrade to sound like my current car, a 1999 Infiniti i30. It has a Bose system which consist of 6 speakers (4 speakers + 2 tweeters).

My kid sister drives a 2000 Honda Accord EX. It has the same number of speakers as my car, but the quality is no where near.

I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money (less then ~700) and would not want to include amp/subwoofer - I don't want to be losing any cargo space.

I recently purchased this.

Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Hey welcome! Your gonna love your fit, i promise, it is a fun little car. As far as the sound you are looking for, it is hard to know exactly how something is going to sound because of all the variables that affect sound

- Quality of the music itself
- Type of music
- EQ setting
- Air Pressure/ Cabin Space
- Road noise

So it is hard finding that perfect speaker set up that fits your needs. Because the fit is a hatchback there is more air space than a normal car that has a trunk. As far as the speakers, take a look around the forums and see what people have installed and see what kind of music they listen to. And if they don't say don't be afraid to ask. Also ask them about the quality and how they like them.

If your looking for quality, in most cases it comes down to you get what you pay for. If you buy cheap speakers, don't be surprised if the quality isn't that great.

So to sum this up simply, take a look around the forums, ask questions from people who installed speakers in their fit, do lots of research, then buy and enjoy

Old 08-09-2010, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
The stock speakers are not too bad, could use a kicker to fill it out though
You really should get the car first because you might like it, or, maybe you end up hating the headunit and that can change everything

Old 08-09-2010, 04:46 PM
You mention the *number* of speakers in the car you prefer...while true separates (component system of woofer/tweeter) is a great way to go, really good sounding ones are going to absolutely require an external amplifier, which you are not all for.

Therefore, you may just need to find the best 6.5" speakers you can find.

You mention your budget of $700 and no more than that - that'll buy you a whole (4) speaker replacement in the Fit that will sound quite good with your head unit's built in amp.

I bought these and installed in each door. I had a local shop do it for a number of reasons. I also had them install a layer of Dynamat in each door. This combined with a similar head unit you bought creates some great sound.

The stock Fit's doors have a plastic membrane inside that should not be removed for moisture protection. You can use this membrane in combination of the Dynamat to create a whole barrier for sound wave reverb (the Dynamat lays where membrane doesn't cover - it all creates a seal). I hope this makes sense.

I know I have read of other DIY speaker replacers for the Fit removing this membrane...but I would not recommend that...I'm paranoid about that kinda of stuff...just my two cents.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the responses everyone.

A friend of mine has a 2009 Fit so I have been able to test out the audio system - I think it can definitely be improved.

But yes - I will look/read more into this forum. But from what I read - 4 speakers like the one linked or this should be better then stock speakers? And if I throw in upgraded tweeters? Spending ~700 should be sufficient..no?

Thanks for the help everyone, going to continue to read/ask questions. Plan to buy the Fit in about two months!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:33 AM
I would not bother upgrading the tweeters. In fact, upgrading the tweeters would require a separate amplifier (as good aftermarket tweeters will require a good amount of clean power).

The reason I say this is because the current stock tweeters are tied to the front speakers' wiring (they share the amplifier wattage). This is possible because those tweeters are really cheap and require practically no power at all.

Basically, if you upgrade your head unit, then upgrade your door speakers, you have created a perfect ohm load for your head unit's amplifier. If you then go add in a tweeter that will "throw off" the ohm load, you are severely punishing that amplifier (and possibly causing it to cut out) and limiting the power your front door speakers get at the same time. I hope this makes sense.

When I did the speaker upgrade in my '09 for all the doors, I went ahead and left the front tweeters alone. I have thought about disengaging them all in all in order to maximize clean wattage to my coaxials.

Keep in mind this is just in theory...I (and an installer I spoke with) just think that the front tweeters are naturally tied in with the front door's wiring somewhere under the dash.

It may be worth it to experiment with "all-around" speaker replacement (tweeter and coaxials) but I don't think this would work in because most aftermarket tweeters require a lot of power to make them sound good. Check out the RMS wattage needed for these Polk tweeters: Polk db1001 1" dome tweeters at Crutchfield.com

Old 08-10-2010, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
I think some folks have said just replacing the HU improves the sound...

Maybe give just that a try first.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
Im selling a head unit and 6.5" component speakers if you are interested. Just sayin

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/gene...will-ship.html

Old 08-13-2010, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah I think I will definitely install the head unit first to see if there is a difference - only draw back is I would hate to pay twice for installation. I know some people do the installation themselves - but I lack the time and knowledge to even try that.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
I replaced my HU first, then the front speakers a week later, then the rear week after that. The (JVC) HU sounded much better than the stock unit--better imaging and transparency. Beware, though, single-DIN HUs are vastly inferior in terms of ergonomics than the stock HU (double-DIN units might be better in this regard; I don't know), and some have even worse USB functionality than the stock--so do your homework before you buy. Then when I replaced the front stock speakers with Polks things sounded even better. I recall sitting in the front seat and using the fader to switch between the front Polks and the rear stocks and the singer sounded like she was singing over the telephone in comparison when I switched to the rears. So I placed Polks in the rear and now I'm very satisfied.

Btw, does anyone know whether the Sport stock HU will fit in a base dashboard?

Old 11-24-2014, 12:54 AM
There was some confusion as to mounting depth in my research, 6.781 is the depth on my speakers, I used the stock speaker mounts with minor modification to put in massive audio ck 6x woofers in my doors.
Thanks, James.2014 honda fit sport, from Canada.

Minor modification, enlargement of hole to a standard speaker size...

Last edited by james brown; 11-24-2014 at 12:57 AM.