2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

09 Base model suspension questions - rear sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:05 PM
09 Base model suspension questions - rear sway bar

I haven't had my new Fit long, but I can't help but notice how far towards understeer the factory suspension is balanced. And being my first front wheel drive car, I miss being able to do anything about it with my right foot.

One of the difference I noticed in the brochure between the Sport and base was the addition of a rear sway bar on the Sport. Is the front sway bar on the two cars the same? I'm thinking I need to find a Sport rear bar to add to my base. Has anyone done this? What's involved?

What are my aftermarket options for a rear swaybar? I saw some mention of rear bars that are added in addition to the Sport bar rather than replacing it. Never seen a car with 2 rear sway bars before... guess it's theoretically possible, but just seems weird.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:20 PM
i love college
ultra racing and progress make some

Old 08-09-2009, 01:35 PM
The stock Sports swaybar is integrated into the rear axle, its not something you can add or remove.

You could get an aftermarket one though, like keepitpg mentioned.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Ok, thanks! That helps.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:49 AM
5 Year Member
Cusco is the one you should be looking at.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:18 AM
What makes the Cusco better than the others?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:30 PM
IIRC the cusco is the typical swaybar with end links like you are used to seeing.
The others are just a bar with flat bolt-on plates at the ends, no end links.

I don't know what my opinion is. It seems like with the oddball rear suspension the fit has, endlinks wouldn't be required, but some people like to stick with what they know. The first time I saw a ultra racing/progress swaybar I too thought WTF is that, but it makes sense when you think about it. We don't have a fully independent rear, so end links aren't really necessary.
Plus IIRC the cusco is waay expensive.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by cargun
I haven't had my new Fit long, but I can't help but notice how far towards understeer the factory suspension is balanced..

Since this IS your first front wheel drive car, i'll let you in on a secret! every single FWD car manufactured on this rock we call home is manufactured with an understeer characteristic. it's to make it easier to control in the case of a spin or a panic situation, understeering characteristics are also now being manufactured into most non-high performance oriented cars and trucks too (like a v6 mustang for example). the reason why the industry chose to make cars with an understeering characteristic is because of the amount of drivers on the road today as compared to 30 years ago, and statistically, there are more inexperienced drivers per capita than 30 years ago.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:25 AM
5 Year Member
...a possible solution to your query...

Originally Posted by cargun
I'm thinking I need to find a Sport rear bar to add to my base. Has anyone done this? What's involved?
Hey cargun,
The following posts may answer some of your questions. Here is a first hand review of the '09 Prgress RSB. This RSB maybe be what you are looking for. Anyway, take a look at these posts:

Review of the Progress Rear Swaybar for the '09 Fit
The Install of the RSB, with pictures

To my knowledge, this was the first production '09 Progress RSB shipped to the general public.

Hope this helps!