2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Drum to disk conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Drum to disk conversion

ok, so i have done the search and everything, all i found is that there were a couple people that said they would have it done soon. so my question is did anybody actually do it?

if you have done it, how much did it cost? how/where did you get the parts?

now i read all the things in a couple different threads that say that disks aren't needed, but i just want to increase braking all the way around, not just the fronts. to that end i would also like to hear about any front brake replacements that anybody has done. i really like brembo because they are a big, established company, but they don't have anything they say will work for the fit. has anybody used any of their brakes as replacements on the fit?

Old 09-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Maybe a big brake kit for the front and then move your fronts to the rear.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
BBK's and rear disk upgrades are a touchy subjects here on FitFreak...be prepared to get bombarded with "why" do you need them or you will get ignored

Old 09-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Random, slightly off-topic question, but the reason I'd always heard for manufacturers switching to rear discs was because drums couldn't be fit with ABS - the drums weren't able to be engaged and disengaged at a fast enough clip to support ABS.

Has this changed? Are modern disc/drum cars able to work around this, and still have 4 wheel ABS?

(sometimes I wish that, like a motorcycle, you could feel the difference in front and rear braking independently. On my bike, the rear does next to nothing for stopping, though it's nice to add some stability at low speeds)

Old 09-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
Random, slightly off-topic question, but the reason I'd always heard for manufacturers switching to rear discs was because drums couldn't be fit with ABS - the drums weren't able to be engaged and disengaged at a fast enough clip to support ABS.

Has this changed? Are modern disc/drum cars able to work around this, and still have 4 wheel ABS?

(sometimes I wish that, like a motorcycle, you could feel the difference in front and rear braking independently. On my bike, the rear does next to nothing for stopping, though it's nice to add some stability at low speeds)
as far as i can tell, the rears also have ABS, but again, it is hard to tell b/c we aren't on motorcycles...

Originally Posted by Farther
Maybe a big brake kit for the front and then move your fronts to the rear.
that is a good idea, hadn't thought of that...

and just for anybody who cares, i want to do this because i was going 60ish and a lady pulled out in front of me and stopped, so i'm on my horn and slamming on the brakes and she just stays there completely blocking my lane. i ended up stopping literally inches from t-boning her...in the latest issue of C&D, they tested the Fit, Fiesta, and Mazda2, respectively they took 197, 181, and 183 feet to stop from 70mph, the fit is simply behind and i want it to equal if not better the other two.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SleepyJonDu
and just for anybody who cares, i want to do this because i was going 60ish and a lady pulled out in front of me and stopped, so i'm on my horn and slamming on the brakes and she just stays there completely blocking my lane. i ended up stopping literally inches from t-boning her
more info here..
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...brake-kit.html

EDIT: on a side note a big brake kit and rear disks would not have helped you in the above situation. Sounds like your issue is traction. Try looking into better tires and pads. It cost less and you will notice a huge difference.

Last edited by bmxman; 09-11-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bmxman
more info here..
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...brake-kit.html

EDIT: on a side note a big brake kit and rear disks would not have helped you in the above situation. Sounds like your issue is traction. Try looking into better tires and pads. It cost less and you will notice a huge difference.

+1 tires and pads is what you want to look into upgrading, probably SS brake lines too...BBK is more for track where you need the extra surface area for cooling

Old 09-12-2010, 10:45 AM
ya, ill wait untill i get better tires, then after putting in pads and ss brake lines, i will think about it more.

on another note, some one said in the thread above that for brakes, GE=GD=GE=GD, so would i be able to, if i start to go to the track, put a GD brake kit on my GE, do i only have to worry about bolt patterns(same, right?), or is there something else?

Last edited by SleepyJonDu; 09-12-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:35 PM
I was looking into doing this, but just havn't gotten around to doing it yet.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member
GD and GE is not the same brake bracket. i have jbt mini 6-pot/4pc rotor for sale for GE, rotora 13in bbk for sale and stoptech bbk for sale. if interested, hit me up; ghettoboy247@gmail.com

Old 10-16-2010, 03:39 AM
xm8
I have been researching this subject. To me, drums are shit.

fastbrakes.com has a kit for $975. It's too expensive so I emailed them.

fastbrakes informed me that they can sell me:

bracket kit, park brake cables, brake lines and plain rotors for $430 + Shipping $20.

I will have to buy RSX rear calipers and brakes pads separately. I will buy used RSX rear calipers and cheaper ceramic pads. I don't need track pads that require heating up since my car is a daily driver.

fastbrakes uses honda parts so you can buy RSX brakes pads. If you get Wilwood you have to get Wilwood pads.

Last edited by xm8; 10-16-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:48 PM
I just came back from Taiwan. They have the fit there and drive on the left side like the US. anyways, their Fit has rear disc brake.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by kenshin713
I just came back from Taiwan. They have the fit there and drive on the left side like the US. anyways, their Fit has rear disc brake.
haha how you like Taiwan lol....offtopic sorry.
Yes, we do have rear disc brake on fit but is 2nd generation....

Old 07-30-2011, 08:25 PM
dko
if your brakes can lock up your tires then there is zero advantage in stopping distance gained by improving your brakes. the weak point of the braking system is the tires. the only thing a BBK will do is allow repeated hard braking with reduced fade, assuming that the kit is well designed. you can increase braking performance by getting better tires, running optimum tire pressure, and to an extent having a better suspension allows better braking on rough ground by keeping the wheels and tires in contact with the road more of the time.