2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Official GE Coilover Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, I'm hoping to bring this thread back fromthe dead with a few questions I have.

Looking at getting a coilover set up to replace my H&R spring/stock shock combo.

Since this is my daily, I really don't need anything crazy, as it will just be a waste. It won't see any track duty, just some 'spirited' driving now and again.

I've been looking at getting into the Tein Street Basis, but after doing some reading, it doesn't seem like these are worth it? Noise issues, etc. I also worry whether they will be stiff enough.

My other choice is the Tanabe Sustec S03, which are more expensive than the Tein's, but seem to be 'better' all around than the Tein's. But I have heard that these are not as stiff as the Tein Basis, which is already a fairly soft set up?

I'm not looking to kill my back, but the idea is if I'm gonna lay down the cash, I want something stiffer than stock to help with body roll in the corners.

Thoughts?

Old 08-27-2014, 09:23 PM
abu
5 Year Member
Still love my Bilsteins!
Originally Posted by lowered_klass
Ok, I'm hoping to bring this thread back fromthe dead with a few questions I have.

Looking at getting a coilover set up to replace my H&R spring/stock shock combo.

Since this is my daily, I really don't need anything crazy, as it will just be a waste. It won't see any track duty, just some 'spirited' driving now and again.

I've been looking at getting into the Tein Street Basis, but after doing some reading, it doesn't seem like these are worth it? Noise issues, etc. I also worry whether they will be stiff enough.

My other choice is the Tanabe Sustec S03, which are more expensive than the Tein's, but seem to be 'better' all around than the Tein's. But I have heard that these are not as stiff as the Tein Basis, which is already a fairly soft set up?

I'm not looking to kill my back, but the idea is if I'm gonna lay down the cash, I want something stiffer than stock to help with body roll in the corners.

Thoughts?

Old 08-27-2014, 09:43 PM
I'ma say what I always say. Bilstein for daily and backroad duty at a reasonable ride height.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
Is it true that the Bilsteins don't go that low (when compared to other brands?)

I'm not looking to completely slam my car, but I want to go lower than the H&R's I have on the car now (1.6"F 1.3"R)

On the Bilstein website, it says it offers adjustment from 0-30mm, which is just over an inch I believe.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Deciding between Apex'i/Blitz/Cusco... sighs.

Last edited by SeekerZero; 10-14-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:52 AM
On my side it's going to be Fortune-Auto 500 series or BC Racing. From my research, these are the only ones take care of the spring rates you want and the purpose of the car.

Originally Posted by SeekerZero
Deciding between Apex'i/Blitz/Cusco... sighs.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:06 PM
what do you all think of rsr? looking at the RS-R Black coils.... let me know how they ride and look.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:38 AM
5 Year Member
waiting for someone that has tested out Godspeed, i am in debate over that and the bilsteins

Old 08-05-2016, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vash
waiting for someone that has tested out Godspeed, i am in debate over that and the bilsteins
Get the Bilsteins. Those are two totally different classes of part.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
i've never dealt with any Godspeed products, but as an owner of Bilsteins, do it. they've been so much better than the buddyclubs they replaced.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:07 PM
5 Year Member
I was using Bilsteins coil over, it was a very comfortable yet high performing coil over!
At that price range (and even at double that price), I don't think there is any other coil over in the market for Honda Fit that have the same combination of comfort and performance as Bilstein!
Buy Bilstein, it is the greatest value for money of Honda Fit GE coilover available and Made in Germany from a world class company, proven in racing.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
So I currently run swift springs on my GE8 with a Progress RSB. On the agenda are coilovers and I was originally thinking Tein Basic/Basis since my car is mainly a DD and occasional spirit driving through the curvy mountain passes. Haven't joined any autocross club or anything. In addition to the performance over OEM struts I'm trying to remove the gap between my tire and fender...205/50/15 tire profile is only 23" compared to the factory 24" diameter tires and in combination with the swifts which only drop about 1", left me with a 2 finger ~1.5" gap so it looks silly. Figure something like a 1.75" drop would fit great as it would drop .75" and when I go to the correct aspect ratio of 205/55/15 that would gain 1/2" back so the gap would be nonexistent.

However it seems the basis/basic line was discontinued and replaced with the Street Advanced Z line. Which seems to be the basis/basic coilover but now with dampener adjustability.

I considered the bilsteins but just not sure considering the $300-400+ price difference. However, I do not see myself noticing the benefit of adjustable dampeners either...Thoughts? I'm coming from my Ek civic hatchback with koni struts and H&R springs and the ride was just what I wanted. Considered that route, but koni struts and h&R springs would run me the same as the TEIN coliovers.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
So I currently run swift springs on my GE8 with a Progress RSB. On the agenda are coilovers and I was originally thinking Tein Basic/Basis since my car is mainly a DD and occasional spirit driving through the curvy mountain passes. Haven't joined any autocross club or anything. In addition to the performance over OEM struts I'm trying to remove the gap between my tire and fender...205/50/15 tire profile is only 23" compared to the factory 24" diameter tires and in combination with the swifts which only drop about 1", left me with a 2 finger ~1.5" gap so it looks silly. Figure something like a 1.75" drop would fit great as it would drop .75" and when I go to the correct aspect ratio of 205/55/15 that would gain 1/2" back so the gap would be nonexistent.

However it seems the basis/basic line was discontinued and replaced with the Street Advanced Z line. Which seems to be the basis/basic coilover but now with dampener adjustability.

I considered the bilsteins but just not sure considering the $300-400+ price difference. However, I do not see myself noticing the benefit of adjustable dampeners either...Thoughts? I'm coming from my Ek civic hatchback with koni struts and H&R springs and the ride was just what I wanted. Considered that route, but koni struts and h&R springs would run me the same as the TEIN coliovers.
Hi Shinjari,

When I just started modifying my Fit,
the first major modification I bought after my OZ Racing wheel was the Bilstein coilover. It is one of the best modification I ever made to my Fit.

I am now running Ohlins and sold my used Bilstein to another member of Fitfreak, and even in used condition, the current owner of my old Bilstein are amazed on how it transform his car, that show how reliable the Bilstein is.

My old Bilstein can achieve 90% of what my current Ohlins can do at less than 50% of the price, that is how good the Bilstein is...
so unless you really want Ohlins, Bilstein is a much better value.

Having said that, I don't recommend dropping the Bilstein all the way down for the front strut, because at very high speed (like over 90mph) on non smooth freeway, the car actually handle better when you don't drop the Bilstein front strut all the way due to some extra suspension travel,
the rear adjustment though can be dropped all the way without much affect.

If you read all the review from all the member that ever had Bilstein,
all of them are happy with the performance and comfort of Bilstein.

An extra $300 or $400 for a suspension that can last at least 100,000km (many years) with good warranty, Made in Germany from a company that have real racing pedigree, and have nothing but good review from fellow member here... and with brand cache... I think it's worth it,

I mean, imagine you are meeting a fellow car enthusiast somewhere, and he/she ask, what kind of suspension are you running on your Fit, and you answer Bilstein...
I am sure if that guy/gal an expert in car, they will not doubt your choice and will nod in respect,
and end of discussion without them trying to present "an alternative choice",
and if they did try to talk down on your Bilstein, ...
well,
let's just say they are not even at your level so no further discussion needed

I am sure if I am not using Ohlins now, people who read my post above would think that I either work for Bilstein or getting sponsorship from Bilstein...

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 08-27-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah totally see your point Alpina. My thought at the moment are the TEIN's would be about $600ish + $75/corner rebuild ($300) @ 30k miles so that would put me at $900ish which is about what I'm finding the Bilstein B14 kit for. Not sure they have a mileage warranty but I do know they offer rebuild options.

My only concern about the TEIN's are adjustable dampeners are a bit beyond my calibration of my internal suspension measuring tools and figure the nonadjustable types would be better suited towards my skill level and driving use.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
For those using the tein basis coilivers which camber kit are you guys using. Apparently, accoring to the guy who installed my coilovers it didnt' fit. Am I missing something? I have the SPC 81260.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:53 PM
Hey guys, I was looking for recommendations on a quality coilover for a Daily Driver, that also goes on track during the summer months. Winter is a thing here (wisconsin).

if anyone can point me in the right direction, I’d appreciate it! I was considering BC DS Coils, but open to recommendations.