2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Roll Center Adjusters for Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by cr4zy3lgato
EDIT: Tanabe seem to think that ideal lowering is 1.2" (talking about the GF210) so basically best bet is to pick springs that lower the car the least (about an inch) and stick with that... i would only put RCA's if i tracked the car (which i do, but most people don't) honestly for the PITA factor i think you should save for coilovers instead... btw you guys don't have the clearance problem with the wheels: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/aj-r...-adjuster.html
^Again, whether or not you need RCAs has to do with the angle of your LCAs as well as your calculated roll center...not simply because you track your car. The problem with most coilovers is that the rates are too soft and designed primarily to "dump" the car.

I can't remember the drop with Progress springs vs. Swift springs...but I think that these two offer the least drop of any of the Fit springs. I haven't really heard of anybody successfully tracking Tanabe springs on other platforms (i.e. DC5, EP3, FD/FN civic, etc)...so I can't comment on their reputation.

as for myself, i will set my coilovers at about 1" and i plan on corner balancing the car... so regardless of RCA's i think handling should be f***ing amazing!
Corner balancing is the greatest benefit of coilovers in my humble opinion...:thumbup:

Old 01-25-2011, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackndecker
^Again, whether or not you need RCAs has to do with the angle of your LCAs as well as your calculated roll center...not simply because you track your car. The problem with most coilovers is that the rates are too soft and designed primarily to "dump" the car.

I can't remember the drop with Progress springs vs. Swift springs...but I think that these two offer the least drop of any of the Fit springs. I haven't really heard of anybody successfully tracking Tanabe springs on other platforms (i.e. DC5, EP3, FD/FN civic, etc)...so I can't comment on their reputation.

Corner balancing is the greatest benefit of coilovers in my humble opinion...:thumbup:
lol... i know that corner balancing gives great results, but you have to be very patient! certainly pays off though

I was referring to Tanabe because they're the only ones that offer a show-off spring and a performance spring, so you could think that there's less compromising to satisfy everyone (but i know it's not the case, as amazing as they perform, they're also a little bit of show)

Old 01-25-2011, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Ill be honest again. Like we all kind of discussed here we really dont know if the fit has the same problem as the DC5 but ill tell you think much. On a road course with my mods and alignment, the fit is fun as hell. I never once said "GAWD I NEED MORE ROTATION," or it being a boat or anything. To me it feels just like my buddy's ITR.

Does anyone know where to get a fully detailed mod/ spec list of J's GD? ive been searching like no other lol. I just found the usual mod list, not really specifications like suspension tuning/ modifications. I know they use CRUX with some high spring rates.

My next mod will be ordering Hyper coil custom spring rates to proportionally match the ratio which J's did like weight % front to rear. i will also be running a staggered wheel setup on the track.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
i know that OPAK racing helped tuning the J's racing, but i think they went out of business

Old 01-25-2011, 03:30 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
opak was strictly spoon before they went under.

n1concepts is running the j's stuff.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
JCrim,

When I had my 5R Teggy, it would easily rotate. Of course I invested a little into the sussy. First with just Mugen front rear strut bars, Swift springs on stock sussy and later Swift fr/r stabilizers, Toda DAs, inverted tie rods, J's rear adjustable arms, J's RCAs and lowered about 40~45mm from the 20~25 of the Swift SportMachs.

Many of my passengers really couldn't believe it was a FF chassis when I took them for a ride. The car was an utter blast to drive and drive hard, my only downside with owning it, I lived on Okinawa and no circuits to drive on. Strictly touge and gymkhana and it shined in both environments.

Couple vids of the 5R
Nago Bullring
Haneji
Again

Last edited by 555sexydrive; 01-25-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
I just wanna say thanks for those of you contributing to this thread. Because, as an autocrosser and suspension enthusiast, i find it frustrating to sift through endless "stance" threads and coilover reviews based on drop alone

It's nice to find a group of people who can discuss suspension theory in the sole interest of bettering handling characteristics.

Cheers

Old 01-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
JCrim,

When I had my 5R Teggy, it would easily rotate. Of course I invested a little into the sussy. First with just Mugen front rear strut bars, Swift springs on stock sussy and later Swift fr/r stabilizers, Toda DAs, inverted tie rods, J's rear adjustable arms, J's RCAs and lowered about 40~45mm from the 20~25 of the Swift SportMachs.

Many of my passengers really couldn't believe it was a FF chassis when I took them for a ride. The car was an utter blast to drive and drive hard, my only downside with owning it, I lived on Okinawa and no circuits to drive on. Strictly touge and gymkhana and it shined in both environments.

Couple vids of the 5R
Nago Bullring
Haneji
Again
Great vids as usual...But, need moar pics of the cute (Japanese?) girl riding shotgun in the 2nd video.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm trying to find some more info on the front strut/steering rod design of the Fit vs. 8th civic. It looks like Honda ditched the rsx/ep3/em2 location (high) of the tie rod ends when designing the fit and current civic struts. I'll post up some comparo pics tomorrow night and hopefully have more info.

@JCrimson
I know that the "Honda shoot out" vids and some of the best motoring vids show really detailed specs on the sussy setup during the pre-race profiles. Try that. I know that the js racing fit is in many of the videos.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:11 PM
lol... i know that corner balancing gives great results, but you have to be very patient! certainly pays off though

I was referring to Tanabe because they're the only ones that offer a show-off spring and a performance spring, so you could think that there's less compromising to satisfy everyone (but i know it's not the case, as amazing as they perform, they're also a little bit of show)
Just noticed that you are planning on running AMR coilovers....:thumbup:
These are the coils I was going to get until I realized I needed to reign in the budget on my civic build. Im going a-spec until my driving ability exceeds nonadjustable shocks (could be awhile).

Old 01-26-2011, 10:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackndecker
Just noticed that you are planning on running AMR coilovers....:thumbup:
These are the coils I was going to get until I realized I needed to reign in the budget on my civic build. Im going a-spec until my driving ability exceeds nonadjustable shocks (could be awhile).
Ha ha thanks! right now they're just laying in my closet dreaming about windy roads!

Sick build BTW and awesome FF member! +rep

Old 01-28-2011, 12:49 PM
This thread will now redirect here:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...tml#post956314

Please post here with further comments or questions. This will organize all discussion in one thread.