2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Lower rear without springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:34 PM
jsr
5 Year Member
Lower rear without springs?

Is there a way to lower just the rear about 0.5" to 0.75"? I actually don't mind the stock height of the front but the rear really needs to drop down a little to be even with the front.
Thanks.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member
I think people are calling this "rake"... the angle of the car from front to back.

Here's the thing... do you trust Honda engineers? Trust that there's a reason for this?

I do. I would try to minimize any change to this (despite the fact I got Swift springs).

In any case... one possibility is to find some REALLY old stock springs that have sagged. But that's not advisable since those spring will be failing soon (sag is usually precursor to failing).

You can try replacing just the rear springs with some aftermarket springs.

Swift springs for the GE8 lowers the front by 1.2" and the rear by 1". When I installed my springs, I only had enough time to install the rears before having to head out to the airport... I assure you, while 1" is barely anything, it felt too weird.

You can always try adjustable coilovers... though I don't know how many can be height adjusted to make stock (or if not, how close then).

I think the Fit is better with the forward "lean."

edit: Some things to read...
http://raystrax.com/ha/911/Align911_LevelAndRake.html
http://www99.epinions.com/auto-revie...3A231082-prod1
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-tir...bout-rake.html

Last edited by Goobers; 03-11-2011 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member
cut half or 1 coil of the rear springs,,,

Old 03-13-2011, 09:52 PM
jsr
5 Year Member
I do believe in Honda's engineering, but also understand that the Fit is a economy car and thus the suspension is tuned with such compromises in mind for a car in this market. Plus if we all believed so much in Honda's engineering, no one would ever mod their Fit. I was hoping to be able to drop the rear just a tad without having to spend money on aftermarket springs. I found out GD springs fit, but the OEM spring rate is much higher than the GE's, so not sure how that would go with the OEM GE fronts. I'd refer not to cut the springs though. Guess I'll have to save up for some decent springs. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jsr
I do believe in Honda's engineering, but also understand that the Fit is a economy car and thus the suspension is tuned with such compromises in mind for a car in this market. Plus if we all believed so much in Honda's engineering, no one would ever mod their Fit. I was hoping to be able to drop the rear just a tad without having to spend money on aftermarket springs. I found out GD springs fit, but the OEM spring rate is much higher than the GE's, so not sure how that would go with the OEM GE fronts. I'd refer not to cut the springs though. Guess I'll have to save up for some decent springs. Thanks for the suggestions.
Well, I wasn't really intending on saying not to mod the car in general... more of the specific change in the rake.

Some aftermarket springs for the GE drop the front more than the rear. Some drop the rear more. I haven't actually seen any that drop both ends the exact same amount, but for those that drop one end more than the other, some have only small differences (.1"-.2", tiny).

My point is... even though the Fit is supposed to be an econobox... I think some aspects are already "performance" related. And one of those things, is the rake.

If you level it out too much, you're going to increase it's chance of oversteer.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:44 PM
you can always add a few hundred punds of audio system to the back. that ought to lower it enough for you. plus it's safer since you wont be cutting springs, and wont ride as rough with drop springs!