2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Anyone make or DIY a removable rear "strut" bar?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member
Anyone make or DIY a removable rear "strut" bar?

I opted not to get the Tiger Tuning rear strut bar since it's not easy to remove for additional cargo capacity. I know Whiteline makes a quick release bar for WRX wagons:

Whiteline Rear Wagon Strut Tower Brace WRX With Quick Release - Rear Strut Bars

...and they even sell a retrofit kit such as this:

Does anyone make an application as above for the GE fit? I'm tempted to try to find a bar that looks close & seeing if I can adapt it to work with the quick release bolts.

I like the looks of the T1R carbon bar (reminds me of a bar I bought for my Honda Ruckus a while back -- not a good bang/buck mod though)

All of the above said, I've read a lot of debate about whether said bar is all that effective since we don't have strut tops in the back to attach to and thus all you're really doing is adding weight and maybe some structural rigidity where you may not need it.

Joel

Old 03-23-2011, 12:24 AM
I've had those very bars in my various Subie's over the years.
Therefore, when I built my DD/track slut EP3, I had a local shop fab up a custom strut bar with similar quick-release hardware. Cost ~$100. Made moving heavy/big stuff a WHOLE LOT easier, especially when moving apartments/dorm rooms, etc.

As for effectiveness in the Fit, I can't say, as I'm forbidden (darn wife) from intruding on the cargo area, since it's most frequently occupied by our dog, who doesn't appreciate structural rigidity when it hits him in the face. I can say that in a hatchback, with tons of open space, more rigidity isn't a bad idea, but on a daily driver, this might be overkill. On a tracked car, absolutely a good idea, but if you're not at least autocrossing it, you'll never notice the difference, except the big dent in your wallet- Mark W.