2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Axle problems after lowering...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:37 AM
Axle problems after lowering...

To all who are considering lowering your Fit yourself, think twice. Perusing the forum it's clear MANY people have experienced their drivers side axles popping out on them. My buddy and I did too, last month. When he finally got it in, all was well.

Then yesterday, upon acceleration I heard and felt a small pop several times. It seemed small and I inconsistent so I drove to and from work. Same deal this morning, nothing out of the ordinary, just a few small pops. Upon leaving work today and entering the freeway, all hell broke loose. It almost sounds like I put a ball and chain on my wheel and it's flopping around in the wheel well. When I press the gas and put the engine under load, the noise dies off. When I depress the brakes, same deal. But when coasting, Lars Ulrich is drumming away in there.

I know jack shit about suspension but I'm going to assume the axle is stripped or stripping at the point where it connects with the tranny. Car is at the dealership, not looking forward to the phone call tomorrow to tell me how bad I'm about to get raped.

Unless you are a pro at it, take it to the shop!

Old 05-27-2011, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
ouch.. sorry to hear that man. it doesn't sound like it'll be a cheap fix.

installing springs/coilovers is a beginner to intermediate job, imo. without the proper knowledge you're putting yourself and your passengers at risk -- especially things like suspension, brakes, and wheel/tire. although, with the right tools and a good amount of research i think anyone can install their springs/coilovers with little to no problems.. preparation is key.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:04 AM
Manual or Auto? Did the axle pop out while you guys we're installing the springs? I doubt that installing springs would cause the axle to have enough side to side thrust to come off. For that to happen we're talking worn motor mounts or possibly something loose on the spindle and what not. From what I gatthered it came off at the spindle and not the Trans? Usually you have to pry those suckers off even if the set ring on the axle doesn't seem like much. Regardless an update would be nice, I'd like to know what they think caused it.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Yeah it popped out when we were installing the springs. And yes perhaps the spindle. I don't know shit about suspension, lol. But we shall see, I will update today when I get the info. Not looking forward to it.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
I don't this u guys pushed the axle alll the way in just my opinion.. I installed eibach sportlines axle came out I pushed it right back in no problems to report

Old 05-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Wen i put coilovers on my fit all u had to do was put jackstand under suspension so it wouldnt fall and pull on cv. I had no probs at all.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:09 PM
if you think it popped out during the suspension install, it's definitely disconnected at the spindle. mine popped out during my first install, too. my brother and i (mostly my brother) got it back in by pushing and spinning for a good while. it was getting frustrating and i was about to take the CV boot apart just to pop it back in but we got lucky. the second time we installed, i took a rope and held that hub in place so there were no chances of it falling out.

if it's the spindle (and i think it is), it certainly won't hurt as much as the techs having to drop the transmission to fix it. best of luck.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Well, good news. Just a loose strut tower bolt. I had them go around all four and tighten everything up. All good.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
oh man, i have to go to honda tomorrow too. Had the same situation when installing the coilovers. The guy at the shop removed the factory CV clamps to pop the spindle back in. He used a hose clamp for one end. Need to get that properly replaced at the dealer and get them to put in more high temp grease in the assembly. I wonder how much it will be. Damn it.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:35 AM
Sonds like what happend to me...You most likely let the strut drop to low and popped out your CV joint. I took it to honda and they looked at it an yes i broke my axel...surprisingly the guy was really cool and told me my warrenty covered it and the new axel was at no cost to me as well as labor...
But this could have gone bad since i did lower the car it could have voided the warrenty and he could have easily blamed my aftermarket suspension..and let me tell you i got the invoice for the new axel and it was $450 plus labor it came out to like 500$ im very lucky that i didnt have to pay....
I really hope things work out for you
And fyi if you take it and it is broken they can choose not to let you take the car out the dealer cause its a safty issue..so you will have to either pay for the repair or get lucky an that your warranty covers the damage and just keep your car overnight and repair it next day......again good luck i know how much it sucks having to hear that awfull sound