Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge8-specific-suspension-brakes-sub-forum/)
-   -   Solid motor mount review (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge8-specific-suspension-brakes-sub-forum/65963-solid-motor-mount-review.html)

JCrimson 09-13-2011 02:53 PM

Raw dog everyday!

555sexydrive 09-13-2011 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by jcrimson (Post 1032209)
raw dog everyday!

woof woof!!!

jibberjabbs 09-13-2011 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by 555sexydrive (Post 1032206)
You don't need to be sorry, but what exactly did you expect to happen? You mentioned on start-up, how often are you starting up your car daily that you "can't live with the racket"?

It's just 1 mount as well, couldn't imagine what you would think if all 3 were solid. It's cool though, some people need as much comfort as possible and some of us want as raw as we can get. It's what makes the world go round, different strokes for different folks.

Ok I got it, I'm not "raw" enough for solid motor mounts and you guys are bad ass forum junkies. I'm not worthy.

Does anyone that actually has one of these mounts installed want to chip in? The problem is a bad resonance coming from something under the car. But its worst on start up and around 500-700 RPM. Other than that the vibration during higher RPM is acceptable.

JCrimson 09-13-2011 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by jibberjabbs (Post 1032231)
Ok I got it, I'm not "raw" enough for solid motor mounts and you guys are bad ass forum junkies. I'm not worthy.

Does anyone that actually has one of these mounts installed want to chip in? The problem is a bad resonance coming from something under the car. But its worst on start up and around 500-700 RPM. Other than that the vibration during higher RPM is acceptable.

Im sorry if you are feeling defensive. I promise no one here is making fun of you or anything. You read it wrong. I for one intentional avoid adding negativity to the world in all instances. I know 555 is a very easy going person also from what I gather and he is the type that would openly help you with anything as I would myself. No one here was trying to offend you. The way he said that above was more jokingly. Kind of like when you do something funny around your friends, they jokingly mess with you about it to lighten the mood.

here this will better help. Raise your eye brows and hold them raise, now kind of smile, do this while you read 555's post. it will make more sense.

fitisbamf 09-13-2011 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by JCrimson (Post 1032136)
the mount will sag while it is loaded being mounted in the car. it is best to take them off so that the move back to their neutral position and then window weld it. also, you can do a MUCH better job with them off and you can tape it off and clean it.

i did jack the engine and trans up to relive stress to the mounts, let it dry then lowered it again. this makes the mounts harder, and prone to stay in un-stressed position, if the rubber hardened in the stressed position i believe this would reduce vibs, and still resist the engine from moving just not be "pre-loaded"

555sexydrive 09-13-2011 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by jibberjabbs (Post 1032231)

Wow, price check isle 7, 24 pack of Tampax. :D Come on, seriously?

I was being genuine in that if just the 1 mount was too much, you would in no way be able to drive my car around as I have all 3 mounts solid (you can see a pic of what I have in the original post about the mount you purchased) and a suspension that doesn't have soft in its vocabulary. For myself, I want my car to communicate with me, the stock mounts BLOW for any type of communication feedback. You can literally push your engine/tranny around with relative ease. That is horrible for a car that is going to be driven quite aggressively. So as I said, different strokes for different folks, you need more luxury, I need for a more race feel. It's nothing about being a "forum bad ass" or you not being worthy.;)

Just for me, I was curious as to what you would think would be the result of a solid mount? And if it is just upon start-up that it is really annoying and between 500-700rpms, that is what maybe 5~10% (idling I suppose would add more % if you live in high traffic prone areas, such as where I am) of the time when you are driving. I don't know if you have a MT or AT, but the shift feel alone is worth the bit of start-up noise and vibration in my opinion. If it really is too much for you, well I'm sure you will be able to sell it to somebody and get most of your money back.

apexanimal 09-14-2011 11:54 AM

back on topic ;)

so are we in agreement that the lower rear mm is the one to fill or solidify for the best results at less movement but a more comfortable ride?

what about the others?

555sexydrive 09-14-2011 06:38 PM

Hard to say really. I installed the left and right mounts first then drove around and the motor was quite stiff and vibrations were present at idle. If there was a solution (like FlashPro) I could raise the idle to 950 and relieve some of those vibrations. I then installed the rear mount and a bit more vibrations were present, but nothing that was new to me as my old 5R also had Alex Motorsports mounts. It had K-Pro so I was able to raise the idle to 950~975 and it just quieted the dash down.

Either I have just gotten completely used to it or the vibrations seem to have diminished some, I still can see that my side mirrors have a bit of shake to them at idle, but I wouldn't want to put my car back to the soft nature it had from the showroom, just not a real enjoyable drive for me.

Texas Coyote 09-14-2011 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by jibberjabbs (Post 1032147)
Sorry for my contributions!, you guys need to chill.

I don't feel that you owe an apology to anyone for sharing your response to a product that didn't work out for you... There have been others in older threads that bought stiff motor mount sets that couldn't handle the the vibration and noise... I appreciate anyone that shares their experiences with products since not everyone wants the same thing and some of them will benefit from what another person has to say... Just about anything you do to personalize a car results in some type of compromise in one way or another and that is why I take time to read post about things I am considering using on my car.:wavey:

fitisbamf 09-14-2011 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by apexanimal (Post 1032458)
back on topic ;)

so are we in agreement that the lower rear mm is the one to fill or solidify for the best results at less movement but a more comfortable ride?

what about the others?

the passenger side will increase vibs... the rear will but it will reduce wheel hop the most, its a very soft mount, the driver side will probably solid up shifts and not vib much

apexanimal 09-15-2011 08:59 AM

^ good info

jibberjabbs 09-15-2011 11:24 AM

Here are a few things I learned from the installation of this mount:

1. The rubber from the top of the mount needs to be trimmed back in order for it to be inserted all the way up in to the engine side mount.

2. Use lock-tight on the heim joint lock nut! Mine came loose and was contributing to the awful noise I was getting.

3. Secure the the hood stay. It rattles like a SOB

I ditched the solid mount, filled in the factory mount with 3M window weld, and am happy.

Jamy 09-15-2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by jibberjabbs (Post 1032817)
4.555sexydrive is a douche

how you figure?

555sexydrive 09-15-2011 10:26 PM

Well at least I will also be on aisle 7.

SSMTEN 12-24-2011 10:56 PM

So... is this still alive and kicking?

angryfit 12-26-2011 12:04 PM

Still available if anyone needs a set

Stitch32 01-01-2012 07:33 PM

The price its still the same right? and its for the one rear mount correct? I just want to make sure I was understanding the thread correctly

Sherbs_Inc 02-23-2012 07:37 PM

Any progress on the GD mount yet?

apexanimal 02-24-2012 09:06 AM

srsly - get some poly, fill the front trans mount, and bolt back up...

you don't need to support the engine or anything when you take it out... it's super easy and quite inexpensive...