2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Coilovers aplenty, just can't find an answer...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Coilovers aplenty, just can't find an answer...

Hey guys,

I've read through most of the coilover threads, and just can't find an answer.

This car is my DD, and I'm feeling the suspension is a bit softer than I'm used to being dumped (and I mean dumped) on coilovers on all my other cars.

I'm looking at something cheap, as these will just get me through this car show season until I do a full out air build this winter.

I'm looking sub $900 easy, and I found a deal on KSports, I'm just reading they don't go that low.

And I'm also reading guys are getting Form/Function with different spring rates than I can find, how?

So question is, which coilovers are the best bang for your buck with priorities as is:

Decent Spring rates (which rates should I go for)
Low
Comfort
Dampening

Wheels I'm getting are 16x8 +20 and I'm running 185/55 on them so they will fit easily.
(Save me any speeches, I ran 215/35 on a 18x9, I'm familiar with stretch)

Thanks guys, sorry for probably asking a question many have asked before.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
I had bad luck with Ksport. Two dampers blew on my previous ride, but this was back in 2008. They're probably OK now I guess?
And fyi, Ksport and D2 is manufactured from the same company.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
Save for bilsteins

Old 06-23-2012, 08:08 AM
^he's looking for something to get him by for the season that can go adequately low without the hefty pricetag... bilstein are very good and comfy but don't really go that low... a bit pricey but for a good reason.

@op: buddy clubs

Old 06-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Former Vendor
The Buddy Clubs will do what you are looking for in my opinion. PM us if you want me to get you some pricing.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
T1R basics from AJ Racing if u dont want to spend much. I've had T1R B52 coilovers for almost 2 years, still great for me as a dd

Old 06-26-2012, 01:15 AM
Saving up for Bilstiens myself. I live in San Francisco, so while I'd like to lower my car, I can't lower TOO much or else I'll be running into every god damn hill. The Bilstiens don't go lower than most other coilovers, but it'll be enough for my wants. The fit is also my DD, so I'll want to have a comfortable set. From what I've read, the Bilstiens are what I'm looking for!

Old 06-26-2012, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
I have been more pleased with Buddy Club coil overs than I expected to be... I believe that using coil overs as a means of severely lowering a car is the reason that many brands of coil overs end up being dysfunctional in a short period of time.. I bought the ones I have as a means of raising my car back up to close to the stock ride height and have adjustment of dampening and front spring preload if needed... I don't think preload is something I need to mess with. Just 3 or 4 clicks on the damper adjustment feels pretty decent and yet high speeds on twisty rural roads is greatly improved I had driven JCrimson's car when he had Spoon racing coil overs on it I think on it and could tell that my tired old saggy ass wasn't going to be able to handle the beating and the ride height would end up eating the front lip and make the bumper pull away from the fenders by just backing out of the barn where we keep our cars stashed away when not in use.. Even my wife likes the way the car rides and handles now and we both are over 60 years old.. With about $9000 in performance parts and my own labor I need to be able to make changes to the ride and handling since my engine is soon going to have about 2 1/2 times the power of a stock Fit... I seem to be able to justify spending the money and my wife enjoys the way it runs since I'm not up to the cross country motorcycle rides we were both into 10 years ago.. A big touring bike is more costly to maintain and ride than my Fit is and the Fit is still getting pretty close to the same fuel mileage as our Goldwing.