2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Spoon Front Sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:16 AM
5 Year Member
Spoon Front Sway Bar

Anyone have one yet?

It's my understanding that you upgrade both front and rear sways together, not one or the other like just the Progress offering.

A&J Racing :: Suspension :: Sway Bars :: Spoon Stabilizer bar (Front) - Honda Fit 09-12 (GE8)

Old 11-16-2012, 08:34 AM
So many bends ... isn't that a bad thing ?

Old 11-16-2012, 10:31 AM
5 Year Member
How could it be? That's how it fits under the car instead of below it.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Straight is better. These are more like inside the car,

Old 11-16-2012, 10:58 AM
And don't see a Spoon offering for the rear.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
An RSB is much more needed in the Fit.

It plows through corners like a tractor it has so much understeer.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
An RSB is much more needed in the Fit.

It plows through corners like a tractor it has so much understeer.
From my research, a front sway further promotes understeer. Does that seem about right?

Old 11-16-2012, 12:00 PM
5 Year Member
In the most basic of terms, sure.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:26 PM
I didn't have a front sway on my Civic, and I had 12/14k PIC coilovers and loved it. I hear a lot of people that if they have a fsb on a "daily" they will unhook the end-links at the track, but I am sure there is a huge argument on the technicality side of things out there.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:36 PM
That front sway bar may help but for me the stock bar is fine.I have the Progress rsb along with Swift springs and I like the way my car handles.

This set up is a lot of fun and I can even induce some oversteer if wanted
If I decide to do any other upgrades it will be coils or Koni Dampers and lighter wheels.

I usually upgraded both front and rear sways on my Mustangs but with the Fit the Progress rsb is all that I feel is needed for spirited street/canyon

driving and occasional track day's.If someone has this sway bar on a GE please report back and let us know how it works out.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueBoogers
From my research, a front sway further promotes understeer. Does that seem about right?
In general, this is 100% correct.

However, there are differing schools of thought when it comes to FWD cars with a high center of gravity...

A sway bar reduces body roll, and in the case of the undersprung, high COG GD3, a front bar can be used to keep more of the tire's contact patch on the road under hard cornering... This has been proven in SCCA H-Stock classes where the cars can only modify existing swaybars. I have driven a Fit with the Battle Endless monstrously large (like 25+mm) front sway bar and it made a very noticeable difference in turn in!

BUT this can also be effectively accomplished by upping your spring rates and adding front camber... which is a lot easier than dropping your front sub frame to replace a sway bar...

Also, it bears saying that sway bar size and placement is one of the most highly subjective modifications based on driver style... If you like it neutral, you might add both front and rear. If you like it tail happy you may add the rear and disconnect or even remove the front!

Old 11-16-2012, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
You can definitely replace the front/rear bars independent of each other, in fact people often do this. In general terms, as you said, if you stiffen the front sway bars you will increase understeer; if you stiffen the rear you will increase oversteer. (Understeer and oversteer being, of course, opposites; but the car clearly can switch from one to the other very very quickly in some cases).

Most people upgrading their cars would go for a slightly thicker rear bar because most cars are set up with a little understeer initially. This is for safety in the hands of unskilled drivers, ie mostly anyone and a fair portion of the people who want thicker rear bars as well. So if you stiffen the rear bar you may get to slightly more "neutral feeling handling", with the added risk as you go stiffer and stiffer than at some point your rear end will break away unpredictably in turns. A slight increase is not going to have major safety implications, however.

Given that the Fit already has some understeer, and lots of weight ahead of the front axle, I do not see why you would stiffen that bar unless you had already stiffened the rear and you were looking for less body roll and more precise control on a track.

Running your car without a front sway bar is a bad idea, primarily because most of us have never driven a car without one. I imagine it would feel quite different. It would roll a ton in the turns.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
The owner of my 91 Civic Si prior to myself removed the front bar.

Car drove weird until I threw the stiffest coilovers I could find on it.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:48 PM
I don't think i'd upgrade the front sway in a FWD unless I was doing road course only where rotations don't need to be so extreme and the neutrality in handling is beneficial in longer, fast sweeping turns where you want to avoid correcting oversteer and keep it smooth. Your front may start to give out before your rear (under) but in this case that's better than a tank-slapper at speed and/or ending up backwards (or upsidedown lol) in the middle of a field.

I wouldn't run one for short course or autoX work, but like TPColgett said it is entirely up to driver preference and how you like your car to feel.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
I do like a very neutral-handling car. Perhaps I need to give this a try.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
I don't think i'd upgrade the front sway in a FWD unless I was doing road course only where rotations don't need to be so extreme and the neutrality in handling is beneficial in longer, fast sweeping turns where you want to avoid correcting oversteer and keep it smooth. Your front may start to give out before your rear (under) but in this case that's better than a tank-slapper at speed and/or ending up backwards (or upsidedown lol) in the middle of a field.

I wouldn't run one for short course or autoX work, but like TPColgett said it is entirely up to driver preference and how you like your car to feel.
+1, excellent description of intended uses... On short course, I like the rotation The GD at least is rather prone to getting wonky at speed on sweepers, and for road course work, I personally would add a front bar. DD and AutoX like I do now though, it would hinder my driving preferences... PLUS it is seriously a PITA to drop that front sub frame and install one

Old 11-16-2012, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueBoogers
I do like a very neutral-handling car. Perhaps I need to give this a try.
If you do, I am sure we would all love to hear your feed back!!! Lets us stop being arm chair race car drivers if we have real world input

Old 11-16-2012, 04:04 PM
In my humble opinion stock if just fine for street driven fits.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mkane
In my humble opinion stock if just fine for street driven fits.
We have some pretty twisty roads around here, you know...

I get my brakes a little too toasty on most drives home.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
With the swifts and progress rear bar, I sometimes wish I could retain the same straight line comfort with a little sharper turn. I think that the bar would serve that purpose well, since I really do think the front needs higher spring rates than the swifts for the type of driving I do. It would help get more power to the ground on corner exit as well. Upgrading just the front alone would make the steering a little more fun, but you'd need a lot of steering wheel input to keep the car in line. I like the rotation of the rear bar, and would probably just prefer to up all the spring rates evenly with better damping and the stock front bar/rear progress bar combo.

Quick Reply: Spoon Front Sway Bar