2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

progress springs installed, maddening problem tho! HELP!!!!!!

  #1  
Old 02-10-2013, 01:07 AM
Jango_Fit's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 341
progress springs installed, maddening problem tho! HELP!!!!!!

Ok , so had progress springs installed and both passenger sides are perfect, no issues, the rear driver side is perfect, however the front drivers side makes allllll kinds of noise. Sounds like clanking, like the springs moving around, ( I know what a bad shock Sounds like, no it's not the problem! ) well, I didn't do install myself, it was done by an acquaintance that is a tech at Toyota. He was aware of it as well, even had his lead tech that inspects and signs off on everything look and he signed off on it. They couldn't find any issue or reasons it made noise. So anyways, they took it apart again, redid it to make sure, same problem! It rides great, but clanking noise ongoing! I don't wanna make a fuss, nor really can't as it wasn't done on the books, but his boss let him do it on the side, and dude only charged me a case of Heineken, but kinda owed me a favor as well. Anyways he did let axle pop out, and had to fight it for hrs (common from what I read! ) but he did get it all back in and right. I've checked everything under there myself as well and can't find anything loose or any reason to this. It really really sucks, cause honestly I wasn't very happy with the drop as it's almost unnoticed, and now my wife who daily drives it is driving me batty crying about it, bitching about it's embarrassing loud and I shouldn't have screwed up a perfectly good car, blah blah blah, but I understand, and do need it fixed. Starting to drive me nuts! Any advice? I've checked it all and it's all tight, and considering the other 3 are fine I'm sure he knew what he was doing. So any advice or offerings of help if ur in Houston would be very very appreciated. Thanks
 
  #2  
Old 02-10-2013, 01:21 AM
Jango_Fit's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 341
I've read all sorts of possible reasons, from sway bar bolt coming loose during install somehow, to pillow mount installed upside down, to axle not properly seated (wich I can't see cause it seems it wouldn't drive right if that was issue) , like I said, I've looked it over and all bolts are tight that I can tell, however it's under load as it was on ground, I've yet to check it with the car off the ground and in the air! Any suggestions are appreciated, Thanks!
 
  #3  
Old 02-10-2013, 02:20 AM
macbuddy's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 452
Try spraying some Lithium grease on the top and bottom areas of the spring seats. Report back whether or not the problem goes away.
 
  #4  
Old 02-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Jango_Fit's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 341
I'll look into that, Thanks, but I can't understand how grease can or will fix my issue. It's not squeaking or creaking it's clanking, like it's loose or something, like it's moving around and bumping against something. Yet it's under load and doesent feel loose. What's lithium grease anyway? Lol Google time!
 
  #5  
Old 02-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Jango_Fit's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 341
Anyone else have any suggestions?
 
  #6  
Old 02-10-2013, 05:01 PM
BlackUp's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: You Ess and A
Posts: 348
If it's so noisy your girl is embarrassed while driving there is definitely something wrong. I wouldn't even drive it but is sounds like you are in a bind.

I assume it only makes this noise when hitting rough patches of road or is it more constant?

Did they cut the bump-stops at all?

I recommend you get under there and check it out yourself. You can use this as a guide: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...r-ge8-fit.html


Make sure they have the top hats (the rubber thing on top of the damper) on correctly:


Get it on jacks and shake the hub (careful!) to listen for sound or feel for play. Check all the bolts. Check spring was installed in the proper orientation. Etc.

Also pull the front molding off and get a look on top.

Post pics here if possible.
 

Last edited by BlackUp; 02-10-2013 at 05:08 PM.
  #7  
Old 02-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Jango_Fit's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 341
Thanks, it's not that loud, Lol it's louder in her head than it actually is. Lol however the cross guard at my sons school flagged her to roll her window down and said "mam, There's a noise in this strut here, don't sound like a bad strut, but just like something's loose and rattling, clanking around, u may wanna get that checked!" It's sorta constant but mostly when I make right turns. It's nothing dangerous as I've been driving it like this over a mth! And I drive pretty aggressively. Lol great advice tho, and I'll check it all out again. I've done everything u mentioned, but under load on the ground! Need to lift her up!
 
  #8  
Old 02-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Jango_Fit's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 341
And Yeah ur right about rough areas of road, it makes more noise. Bumpstops, no didn't cut, but springs were only 1 and 1.25 drop so shouldna really need to. I've never felt it bottom out on them, or make the unmistakable sound of smashing into the bumpstops, so those should be fine. This is something rattling, clanking around, like something's loose. It sucks cause it's our only daily and it is unnerving! Lol
 
  #9  
Old 02-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Hootie's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South of Heaven
Posts: 4,788
In addition to what BlackFit mentioned I'd pull the wheel(s) off to make sure that the drive axle is fully seated in the transmission and axle nuts are tight (133 lb ft) as well as check to see if the upper spring clip (#2), upper spring clip seat (#10), the damper mounting bearing (#12), the 12mm hex nut (#20), and the damper rubber mount (#13) are all in place and in order.



Ensure that the upper spring clip has the Progress spring seated inside of it and that 12mm the hex nut is tightened to 25 lb ft.

If all of that checks out, make sure the 2 strut bolts are torqued to 66 lb ft, make sure the nut for your wheel speed sensor is tight, as well as that your brake hose bracket and wire guide grommet for your wheel speed sensor is secure. Also check the nut for the front sway bar link (you will need an allen wrench/hex socket in addition to the correct socket size for the nut) is tight.

If everything checks out after that, make sure that the damper mounting base (#14) and the wave washer (#19) are in place with the damper mounting nut (#18) tightened to 33 lb ft. Put wheels on, torque to 80 lb ft, and check for noises.
 
  #10  
Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 PM
Jango_Fit's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 341
Thanks Hootie.
 
  #11  
Old 02-12-2013, 08:38 AM
Jango_Fit's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 341
I'm pretty sure I've got it narrowed down to a couple of things, will be tackling this prob this coming weekend, any other ideas or suggestions are appreciated!
 
  #12  
Old 02-12-2013, 08:59 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lexington
Posts: 37
I'm in to see the fix and what your impression of the springs are once you geet the noise gone. I'd like to hear your ladies opinion as well because I know I'll put up with a harsher ride then my girl will. Good luck on the solution.
 
  #13  
Old 02-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Jango_Fit's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 341
I will fix it! Lol as far as ride goes, it's great, feels alot more stable, no bouncing, I love it, other than this noise, and honestly I coulda handled more drop. My wife has zero complaints, just this stupid noise! My son who rides in back has never complained!
 
  #14  
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lexington
Posts: 37
Thanks for the feedback! Good luck on the noise, I def want to hear the resolution of the matter.
 
  #15  
Old 02-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: maina
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by Jango_Fit View Post
Ok , so had progress springs installed and both passenger sides are perfect, no issues, the rear driver side is perfect, however the front drivers side makes allllll kinds of noise. Sounds like clanking, like the springs moving around, ( I know what a bad shock Sounds like, no it's not the problem! ) well, I didn't do install myself, it was done by an acquaintance that is a tech at Toyota. He was aware of it as well, even had his lead tech that inspects and signs off on everything look and he signed off on it. They couldn't find any issue or reasons it made noise. So anyways, they took it apart again, redid it to make sure, same problem! It rides great, but clanking noise ongoing! I don't wanna make a fuss, nor really can't as it wasn't done on the books, but his boss let him do it on the side, and dude only charged me a case of Heineken, but kinda owed me a favor as well. Anyways he did let axle pop out, and had to fight it for hrs (common from what I read! ) but he did get it all back in and right. I've checked everything under there myself as well and can't find anything loose or any reason to this. It really really sucks, cause honestly I wasn't very happy with the drop as it's almost unnoticed, and now my wife who daily drives it is driving me batty crying about it, bitching about it's embarrassing loud and I shouldn't have screwed up a perfectly good car, blah blah blah, but I understand, and do need it fixed. Starting to drive me nuts! Any advice? I've checked it all and it's all tight, and considering the other 3 are fine I'm sure he knew what he was doing. So any advice or offerings of help if ur in Houston would be very very appreciated. Thanks
Look like we got the same problem
 
  #16  
Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lexington
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by fitboy-831 View Post
Look like we got the same problem
Same Springs?
 
  #17  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 AM
Jango_Fit's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 341
Originally Posted by fitboy-831 View Post
Look like we got the same problem
Really? Lol odd. Are they same springs? Even odder is mines noise just stopped, all on it's own, rides just fine, and I'm more confused now than I was! Lol
 
  #18  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lexington
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by Jango_Fit View Post
Really? Lol odd. Are they same springs? Even odder is mines noise just stopped, all on it's own, rides just fine, and I'm more confused now than I was! Lol
Could you post a pic of your ride? I'd love to see the stance.
 
  #19  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: maina
Posts: 34
Originally Posted by ky2k20 View Post
Same Springs?
No I'm on TEIN S.TECH The drop is good but I'm not liking the annoying noise ....
 
  #20  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Jango_Fit's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 341
Originally Posted by ky2k20 View Post
Could you post a pic of your ride? I'd love to see the stance.
It's nothing to look at. Lol it was a 1.25 drop. Nice for dailying I guess, but honestly I can't even see a difference :-(
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.