2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

KONI STR.T Orange Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 06:50 AM
Check if the shocks are making the squeak noise by squirting oil on the shock piston where it enters the shock body. if that makes it go away, then it's the shock's upper seal. warranty claim... it won't go away for long.

Cheers!
Chris

Old 02-18-2015, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Osubeaver
hspatz,

Is yours still making noise? Installed mine and put about 1k miles on them and on of the rears is making some major squeaking noise at low speeds on bumps. If I stand on the doorsill and rock the car I can recreate the squeak. I'm thinking about taking and off and checking it out, but curious if you had/have the same noise.
Yes, I had same problem. I rocked my car by opening a rear door and pushing where the door meets the roof. I still get an intermittent thumping on one side when I hit moderate bumps, but not the squeaking. Make sure that the rubber grommets or dampers are put in properly. The flatter side must be toward the vehicle mounting surface and that means the bottom one is flat side up and the top one is flat side down. I used grease from a grease gun and spread it all around on those rubber items and between the large washer and the dust shield. All the squeaking went away.

Too bad Koni didn't do the smart thing and include all the hardware, so you do not need to reuse the old stuff. The front Konis have been perfect.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:16 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by hspatz
Yes, I had same problem. I rocked my car by opening a rear door and pushing where the door meets the roof. I still get an intermittent thumping on one side when I hit moderate bumps, but not the squeaking. Make sure that the rubber grommets or dampers are put in properly. The flatter side must be toward the vehicle mounting surface and that means the bottom one is flat side up and the top one is flat side down. I used grease from a grease gun and spread it all around on those rubber items and between the large washer and the dust shield. All the squeaking went away.

Too bad Koni didn't do the smart thing and include all the hardware, so you do not need to reuse the old stuff. The front Konis have been perfect.
I have the same noise as you but it's very rare. The quality of the ride after the install is well worth dealing with this very rare issue

Old 04-26-2015, 01:29 AM
Agreed on the improvement in ride quality outweighing any noise.

Got this response from Koni if anyone is interested. The noise on one strut went away on its own, now my passenger side strut it making the noise. Haven't had a chance to try greasing it, but thought I'd put Koni's response.

"Thank you for contacting us here at KONI, and I am sorry to hear you are experiencing some issues with you STR.t damper. In most cases a noise, or squeaking guide seal from a new damper will eliminated itself with use and new friction introduced by the shock cycling over time. Other cases squeaks have be resolved by applying a light coat of lithium grease, or similar lubricant to the shocks rod near the guide seal. If the squeak continues, and no remedies seem to help in eliminating the noise, KONI will replace the shock under warranty. Details on how to file a warranty can be found here http://www.koni-na.com/warranty.cfm ."

Old 04-26-2015, 05:51 PM
Administrator
My noise was actually my Mugen rear underspoiler being a tad loose

I removed it and retaped it and no more noise

I'm 2 months into ownership of these shocks and very happy with them!

Old 05-18-2015, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by hspatz

I took it all apart and put Shin Etsu grease on everything. It got rid of most of the squeaking. They sounded HORRIBLE when I bought the car and are a lot better now so I'll just turn the radio up to ignore what's left.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
How much did you guys pay for your Koni Orange? Trying to get a feel for what a good price is.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
Old 05-29-2015, 01:49 AM
I paid about $250 from autoanything, free shipping.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FittinglyFittedFit
I paid about $250 from autoanything, free shipping.
Ok great. I paid about that. Thought it was a great deal considering what they normally go for. I am excited to pair it with the sportline springs I have sitting around.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by Regdog77
Ok great. I paid about that. Thought it was a great deal considering what they normally go for. I am excited to pair it with the sportline springs I have sitting around.
I agree, and having lifetime warranty is great!
I'm sure you will enjoy these with your new springs, I love how my car drives now after shock/spring upgrade! Good luck and let us know your results!

Last edited by FittinglyFittedFit; 05-29-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator
After reading some more about the Konis on FF, I decided to pick up the removal bump stops/sleeves for the GK. Looks like Jhn got it to fit around the konis no problem, so i'll give it a shot. for 5 bucks each, can't go wrong.

Here's the part number:

52610-T5R-A02

Old 05-30-2015, 09:31 AM
jhn
Originally Posted by xxryu139xx
After reading some more about the Konis on FF, I decided to pick up the removal bump stops/sleeves for the GK. Looks like Jhn got it to fit around the konis no problem, so i'll give it a shot. for 5 bucks each, can't go wrong.

Here's the part number:

52610-T5R-A02
That part number looks to be the entire shock assembly. Are you looking for the metal sleeves or the elastomer bumpstop itself?

The Koni's include replacement metal sleeves because the OE sleeves are crimped onto the GE shocks. They're not crimped anymore on the GK; they just slide off, so I reused them. Actually, I didn't use any of the included Koni hardware. All of the OE is reusable.

This is how it looks assembled and mounted inside the tower:

Dissassembled. The upper pad that seats up in the tower just slides off. You can see the metal spacer inside. Slide the bumps top/ plastic shield on the Koni first, then the tower assembly which has the washer that stops on the shock shaft seat, bump stop withplastic shield attached, insert into the tower of the car and install the top hat assembly and tighten it down. It took me longer to write this than to do it. Super easy:

These shocks kick-ass!!

Last edited by jhn; 05-30-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:47 AM
jhn
This pic you can see them. I know they're not designed for this car but I'm really happy with how they perform.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
jhn,

just received an email from bernardi that the part for the sleeve is no longer and must be bought with the whole assembly. boohoo.

so you're saying with the Konis they come with the dust cover/sleeve that was needed to be removed from the oem strut?

Old 05-30-2015, 11:49 AM
jhn
Im not certain which parts you're looking for. Koni includes the metal tube spacer, washer, top hat washer and nut. No plastic or rubber parts.

Last edited by jhn; 05-30-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by jhn
Im not certain which parts you're looking for. Koni includes the metal tube spacer, washer, top hat washer and nut. No plastic or rubber parts.
I guess ill find out monday when my shipment comes

Old 05-30-2015, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
I guess ill find out monday when my shipment comes
Keep us informed which parts need to be transferred over from the oem assembly onto the koni's.

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2015, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Here's the part number:

52610-T5R-A02
Why not use your existing sleeves? Mine have no issue whatsoever and I am guessing others who may have an issue are more likely related to how they were installed

Here are mine

Rear

Front

Last edited by Waiz; 06-01-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:21 PM
I think i will pull the trigger on just the rear koni streets.

I''d be keeping the stockies up front.

my springs are 125/lbs (2.3kg) front
and 200/lbs (3.6kg) rear

any thoughts?

Quick Reply: KONI STR.T Orange Shocks