2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

New shoes... 205/55/16 Michelin Hydroedge

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
New shoes... 205/55/16 Michelin Hydroedge

Got them mounted today. Fit great no rubbing issues... a bit larger OAD and width obviously. Crazy how much less road noise and softer it rides. Still seems to handle well, but I drive fairly soft in the Fit so I don't know how it performs near the edge.

Coincidentally it started raining here hard this afternoon (hard for PHX) and they seem to do really well in the wet. I'll post up in a few weeks/months w/ long-term thoughts. Like them a lot so far.

Edit: Cliff notes of this thread:
What follows is a veritable bevy of exactly what I've come despise about fitfreak. I bought some tires, wanted to share my experiences, and it turned into a "zomg those are the wr0ng tyres for yous car~!!!!!one!!!eleven111!!!" by every boy racer on this forum. No facts, just wild-assed opinion and hearsay.

So if you want to skip the bickering, here are the cliff notes.
1) I put bigger OD and width tires on my Fit, a 2009 Sport Manual.
2) No rubbing has occurred for the past 55,000 miles that I can see, on rubber, frame/body, or that I can hear, including lock to lock.
3) I've seen a slight mpg increase.
4) They're quieter than factory tires.
4a) I wrote this when they were new, I'm no longer certain if they're quieter or not. The wind noise may now be louder, or I may have just forgotten how loud the OEM tires were. I definitely can't hear tire noise on the freeway, but I do hear wind noise.
5) Softer riding.
6) Taller, heavier tires will decrease your acceleration, thicker sidewalls will reduce your cornering prowess, and if you drive a ton of stop/go this may not be the tire for you.
7) Overall indicated miles on the vehicle, overall indicated speed, and tire revolutions have decreased by 3.6% (mathematically verified, roughly GPS verified at around 3%ish).
8) Cruising RPM has decreased.
9) I'd do it all over again... although I do wish Michelin would sell something with the same OD as this 205 tire, and a narrower tread, as I didn't buy a Fit to be a boyracer and strap the nawz on, yo.
10) The tires have worn about 50-60% over 55,000 miles, which is about in line with the warranty of 90 kmi from the manufacturer.
11) Given the longevity of the tires, I'm happy. As happy as you can be with a 117hp car I guess.

Last edited by z06dustin; 08-06-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
yah so at 80, my speedo reads 77. not the end of the world. my odometer will tick off miles 3% slower too.

i went with this size because i read a lot of reviews and liked these tires, and this is the most similar size to the original odd-balls (185/55/16) honda slapped on there. plus i don't like the final drive, i do a lot of freeway / flat driving, i think reducing my revs will increase my mileage.

my largest concerns were rubbing, sluggishness, and increased brake wear. the first two haven't been an issue, like i said i'll report back with more experience as i gain it and see if my mpgs really do get better.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Actually, 205/50/16 is a better match. Almost "spot on" compared to the 55s.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Actually, 205/50/16 is a better match. Almost "spot on" compared to the 55s.
Ehrm.. yah, you're right, want a cookie?

As I said above, 205/55 was the closest I could find in the tire I wanted.
HydroEdge | Michelin Tires

Plus, adding a bit of circumference isn't a bad thing imho. I don't like 4k rpm at 80mph. On the desert flats I drive it's just unnecessary.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Okay......

Old 02-20-2011, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
205/55 is michelin's only listing for our size up. poor availability listing on michelin.

i agree with the upsize, how the ride is more cushy.

however, the engine will still sound the same @ 4k rpm, just won't be showing 80mph.

but hey, no rub, you're happy, so all gravy.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Post a few pictures. Would love to see profile and rear views of the tires on the car.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:18 PM
To the OP, many FitFreaks really take technical things seriously, the 205 50 16 suggestion is spot on. This issue has been discussed at great length on this forum, possibly ad nauseum.

At 23lbs vs 16lbs and a ride height increase of about a half inch (.3 plus tread depth) the fuel economy may not go up. It may even decrease. Your handling at the limit, however, WILL be negatively affected. I realize you may drive conservatively in most cases but during an emergency the height difference changes things from a physics perspective. I am not an engineer but feel sure I don't want to ride higher, especially in a tall, narrow car without VSA.

JM2C

b

Old 02-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Lightbulb

The 205/50/16 is what Honda recommends for use on the "factory aftermarket" wheels they offer for sale and the Mugen wheels, so the size IS NOT AN ISSUE FOR SAFETY! The height isn't a half and inch and as far as the weight goes, is that tire REALLY that much heavier?

The Hydro Edge has a crazy treadwear number (700+IIRC) so they'll last you a long time and with that tread design it has no choice but to kick ass in the rain, good luck with those tires and just for the hell of it, keep us posted on the mileage, we here really pay attention to these things

Old 02-21-2011, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
you got pictures of em mounted? i just want to see how it looks, i was planning on getting those tires too i think, or atleast a more common size like 205~

Old 02-21-2011, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
Old 03-06-2011, 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by z06dustin

my largest concerns were rubbing, sluggishness, and increased brake wear. the first two haven't been an issue, like i said i'll report back with more experience as i gain it and see if my mpgs really do get better.
Any updates on the rubbage? Gotta get some new tires this next weekend. I live here in PHX and do tons of freeway driving down into mexico and up to the PacNW. Would love to see if your mileage is better due to our 80+mph freeways.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
3ish weeks in. Really pleased so far, I'm sure it's slower on a stop watch but seat of the pants acceleration isn't any different. Measured fuel economy has gone up 3.7%, but this is only over 2 tanks and may not be statistically relevant.

Ride is WAY better, but the originals were worn very thin so it may not be as significantly better than it seems. Very very quiet, soft ride. It's my daily driver and not something I carve corners with, so this obviously may not be what someone else wants but I'm ok giving up some cornering prowess.

No rubs yet either. Fit seems fine.

Post a few pictures. Would love to see profile and rear views of the tires on the car.
Will do this weekend. Fill out the wells a bit more... but again isn't a low-pro look if that's what you're going for. Tread is very deep and IMHO looks very good.

To the OP, many FitFreaks really take technical things seriously, the 205 50 16 suggestion is spot on. This issue has been discussed at great length on this forum, possibly ad nauseum.
Haha... so cute! "technical things". I've discussed them thar technical thingys above. I completely agree, 205/55/16 is NOT the same OD as 205/50/16 or 185/50/16. Here's a question... if you're so adamant about technical things, why would you go from 185 to 205? Just stick to OEM right?

Your handling at the limit, however, WILL be negatively affected.

Uhm... you do realize that we're talking about a Fit right? This isn't a G-Machine. As I said above, it's my DD. If you want some uber stick, go buy some low-profile Pilot Cups and rock out dude. I'm not going that route.

I am not an engineer

I am.

My whole point is, realize what I'm doing with these tires. They're not sticky. They're not super light weight. I'm not doing solo with them and wouldn't recommend it with these. They are good commuter car tires and that IS what I would recommend them for.

You are right. Weight may be an issue. As I said in the original post, I hope my brake wear doesn't increase. I don't tow with the car, so I'm not really worried about over-loading the brake system, however my braking distance may have been increased. (Moment of inertia is directly proportional to mass, however moving it further from the center of rotation is a squared relationship... so it's not just the mass that I've increased it's the distance from the axis as well, a double whammy).

Consider all these things before you go 205/55, it may/may not be worth it. I'm pleased thus far however! But... YDHTTMWFI

Old 03-11-2011, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dankstang
Any updates on the rubbage? Gotta get some new tires this next weekend. I live here in PHX and do tons of freeway driving down into mexico and up to the PacNW. Would love to see if your mileage is better due to our 80+mph freeways.
Sorry for the delay. Been traveling myself. PM me if you are in PHX and want to check them out yourself, we can meet up.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
Pics.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
No rubs yet either. Fit seems fine.
Have you tried full load yet? Still no rub?

Old 03-13-2011, 11:47 AM
5 Year Member
Looks awesome Man, and perfect drop. I'm planning on the same size, similar drop, but with a nitto neogen. Had those on my wrx and they were a w e s o m e.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vwli
Have you tried full load yet? Still no rub?
No I haven't tried loaded with more than me, while having an observer look for rub I couldn't hear. I've done lock to lock with passengers, and didn't hear or feel anything. That doesn't mean there's not rub though.... maybe next time I have some passengers I'll try to look.

Looks awesome Man, and perfect drop.
Hey thanks man. But it's not lowered tho... drop = lowered? I might not know all your leet terms

Old 03-14-2011, 01:41 PM
slush cup winners they ain't...

Got them mounted today. Fit great no rubbing issues... a bit larger OAD and width obviously. Crazy how much less road noise and softer it rides. Still seems to handle well, but I drive fairly soft in the Fit so I don't know how it performs near the edge.

Coincidentally it started raining here hard this afternoon (hard for PHX) and they seem to do really well in the wet. I'll post up in a few weeks/months w/ long-term thoughts. Like them a lot so far.
I have owned the Hydroedge for a few years and have only one negative comment: The centre groove will load up with snow/slush! Say you take it up to Tahoe to go snowboarding in the winter. They are all season, do well in the snow when new but I almost lost the centreline to oncoming... and with my wife and daughter aboard. I dropped down a gear and spun the tires clear losing a bit of proximity but it worked! they regained enough traction to allow me the g-force to stay on my side of the road. My wife looked at me and said, "don't do that again". Had I not B-sedan race experience I am not sure if i would have felt that was the right thing to do. 32 degree F driving on salted roads is to be approached with caution on these tires... otherwise they rock!

Old 03-14-2011, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Hey thanks man. But it's not lowered tho... drop = lowered? I might not know all your leet terms
hehehe looks like you have a pro kit on there...sorry

Quick Reply: New shoes... 205/55/16 Michelin Hydroedge