2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Honda Fit '09 tires, replacement advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 04:25 AM
Honda Fit '09 tires, replacement advice

I blew my tire out on a nasty post-apocalyptic curb yesterday. I didn't even know it was possible to put a hole the size of a quarter in your tire due to broken cement. (My husband still doesn't understand how I managed to do it.)

>>UPDATE<<

Well, my original intention was replacing the stock tires with 195/55/16, but they were as hard to find (or obscenely expensive) as the 185/55/16. I gave up and moved up to 205/50/16.

The 205/50's were much easier to find. And about the same price as the cheapest 185/195's, without having to wait. I wish I could have waited, but I'm using a spare, and tomorrow I have a long distance drive I have to take for work.

I chose the Kumho ecowing KH30, suggested by the Discount Tire's employees (where I went). It wasn't very much more expensive then their cheapest option, the Kumho Ecsta AST. Both seem to have pretty good reviews, but the employee said the Ecowing would last longer. (Proof will be in the pudding though!)

I'm a little nervous putting a different size tire on there. Drives fine and I don't *think* it's rubbing any where. (Not sure how to know if it is though.)

For people who've gone with a 205/50/16 tire size, how has your experience been? Does it drive much differently than the 185s or 195s?

Last edited by draw2much; 09-01-2011 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Things Happened
Old 09-06-2011, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
I've been running 205/50/16 continental extreme contact dw's since March and have had no issues at all. I did take the car to the track and experienced some rubbing on the front passenger side due to a long left handed corner, im lowered on t1r s-colis so thats the reason for the rubbing. What did you set your tire pressures at? On the street the car handles alot better, driving in the rain is fantastic!!

Last edited by ej96hatch; 09-06-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:41 PM
I think it's whatever Honda recommends the tires be. I had the replacements and all that other jazz done by Discount Tires. I think they said 32? I don't remember exactly....

I think it handles better too! It's sort a subtle thing though. It just feels more... solid. Like it's got better footing. Hard to explain.

I think it's quieter too, though I haven't driven on the rougher roads to really test it. We'll know by December though, since we're driving from TX to FL and back. Lots of unpleasant and noisy roads to drive on! lol...

Old 09-06-2011, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
205/50-16 Continental ExtremeContact DWS here, no issues. That size is an OEM option for the Mugen wheels, so it's been tested to work on our cars without issue.

Love how the steering feels more direct, and the car doesn't understeer as badly around sharp corners thanks to the wider contact patch.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Are the Continental's quieter than the stock tires?

Old 10-12-2011, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member
I just installed the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires myself. I would not hesitate to recommend these to any second generation Fit Sport owner. I'm not exaggerating when I say I could feel the difference as I put it into first and pulled out of the garage lot.

They make for a softer and smoother ride, the handling is much better*, and they're a good bit quieter. And I've also not had any MPG reduction, despite the wider tire*.

(For reference, my Fit came with the Dunlops. I had never had a car that performed so poorly in the snow, and figured it had to do with the Fit's light weight. That may be, but after realizing how poor the Dunlops were, and how good the DWSs were rated for snow, I'm looking forward to the juxtaposition.)

The Continentals are a little pricey, but so far I love them. I got them installed in Columbus, Ohio, then drove to Pittsburgh for business, then back home to Buffalo, so I've done a good mix of driving on them. I know I sound like I'm gushing, and I don't know if these are just awesome tires or the Dunlops suck or both, but I've never experienced such a contrast in handling and driving comfort (and noise reduction).

(For what it's worth, I've heard very good things about the Yokohama YK580 and gave those serious consideration, too. I think either would leave a Dunlop/Firestone OEM owner pretty impressed, although I don't have any first-hand experience with the Yokohamas.)

Old 12-18-2011, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by draw2much
I think it's whatever Honda recommends the tires be. I had the replacements and all that other jazz done by Discount Tires. I think they said 32? I don't remember exactly....

I think it handles better too! It's sort a subtle thing though. It just feels more... solid. Like it's got better footing. Hard to explain.

I think it's quieter too, though I haven't driven on the rougher roads to really test it. We'll know by December though, since we're driving from TX to FL and back. Lots of unpleasant and noisy roads to drive on! lol...
How about that December update? I'll be needing new tires soon.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member
I love my BFG KDW (I think) SS. 205 width. A lot quieter and sticker than stock. About 15k on them now.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Me have ?'s .

I own a 08 spt. that I hav bought 2011 for,(that have 11,000) 2 have tread, 2 were frt. tires r almost bald, I was thinking of running the two with low thread in the back. The others in front. I like to wear them thru this spring, summer and fall. ( I hav winter tires on steel rims ) If I dont like the handling I will buy 2 new ones, but not the original dunlops, have read nothing but bad about em.

I'd like to go with 205/50/16 - jim at tire rack said I would have more options. does anyone have a similiar set with 2 different sizes on the car. I would run the new one in back b/c they would be bigger. I've read about the continental extreme contact a couple of X already. they sound like what i want good in rain.

I not sure through if I should just buy some cheaps to get by with or maybe some used dunlops, instead of running two different manufactures. HELP I would like to hear from us fit owners on these ?'s too please.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:49 PM
My tires have been great, though I've seen a slight drop in overall MPG. Really, I wish Honda had figured out how to keep the MPG the same but allow for more "regular" sized tires.

I'd recommend the ones I bought for anyone.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
My tires have been great, though I've seen a slight drop in overall MPG. Really, I wish Honda had figured out how to keep the MPG the same but allow for more "regular" sized tires.

I'd recommend the ones I bought for anyone.
Well, size and material type of tires will affect MPG, when it comes to small light cars such as the Fit.

If Honda had made the Fit capable of 27/33/30 MPG numbers with 205 tires, then it would've had even higher numbers with the smaller tires.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:55 PM
I blew my tire out on a nasty post-apocalyptic curb yesterday. I didn't even know it was possible to put a hole the size of a quarter in your tire due to broken cement. (My husband still doesn't understand how I managed to do it.)

>>UPDATE<<

Well, my original intention was replacing the stock tires with 195/55/16, but they were as hard to find (or obscenely expensive) as the 185/55/16. I gave up and moved up to 205/50/16.

The 205/50's were much easier to find. And about the same price as the cheapest 185/195's, without having to wait. I wish I could have waited, but I'm using a spare, and tomorrow I have a long distance drive I have to take for work.

I chose the Kumho ecowing KH30, suggested by the Discount Tire's employees (where I went). It wasn't very much more expensive then their cheapest option, the Kumho Ecsta AST. Both seem to have pretty good reviews, but the employee said the Ecowing would last longer. (Proof will be in the pudding though!)

I'm a little nervous putting a different size tire on there. Drives fine and I don't *think* it's rubbing any where. (Not sure how to know if it is though.)

For people who've gone with a 205/50/16 tire size, how has your experience been? Does it drive much differently than the 185s or 195s?

about a year ago i replaced the stock 185/55/16 with 205/50/16 from tirebuyer,com.....kumho brand. very happy with these tires. haven't seen any drop in MPG....car rides better too.

GD

Old 07-02-2013, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
I got an email alert because of gizmodog's addition to this thread, which reminded me that I have an update:

About a month ago I nailed some debris on the QEW that took out both rear tires. My Continentals were still in pretty good shape (and update: I've been extremely happy with them and stand by my high recommendation), so I decided to keep them and just get two new tires.

The tire shop I was near didn't have the Continentals, but did have the Yokohama YK580s, which, if you scroll up or have a great memory, you'll know that I considered before getting the Extreme Contact DWS previously.

With a month of driving, the tires seem very comparable, meaning I would also highly recommend the YK580. If anything I seem to have slightly less rolling resistance, so my mileage is ever so slightly better, but it's hard to tell since they're just on the one axle. On the flip side, I don't think they'll do as well in the snow, but with the last winter being as mild as it was, I'm not too worried about it.

When it's time to replace the older set, I'll probably go with either tire. Of course, the YK580 may perform poorly in snow, which would push me back to the DWS, but I'm probably leaning slightly toward the YK580's better rolling resistance.

Heck, honestly, it may depend if either one is on sale when I need new tires, ha.