2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Best Tire Pressure on Conti DWS 205/50/16's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Best Tire Pressure on Conti DWS 205/50/16's?

What's the best tire pressure for these tires? Currently at 35 psi. I'm more concerned about MPG. Getting 2-3 MPG less than i was on the factory dunlops.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:03 PM
I ran the OEM's @36psi and the new DWS's the same. Before winter got here I was seeing the same MPG + a better ride. Hard to chase MPG through the seasons, too many variables, I will say that, for my FIT, the DWS is returning great performance and an even swap on mileage.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
I ran the OEM's @36psi and the new DWS's the same. Before winter got here I was seeing the same MPG + a better ride. Hard to chase MPG through the seasons, too many variables, I will say that, for my FIT, the DWS is returning great performance and an even swap on mileage.
I guess it's possibly cause of the cold weather. Had it installed last week when it was cold. I guess i'll check again when spring/summer comes.

Thanks for the response!!!

Old 01-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Give em a while to break in. For me, winter is where they're really shining. I got mine two months ago and liked them off the bat. Two trips to Maine and snow both times has shown me these tires are great all-seasons.

Welcome to the freakworld! Keep us posted on how you like the DWS's, don't wait till spring ;-)

Old 01-05-2012, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
From what I've read about them the suggested pressure is 32 PSI but 35 -36 PSI is said to be better for driving in snow... These tires are more like the radials by Michelin in the 60s and 70s with a very flexible sidewall instead of having the heavy rim protector sidewalls that render the original function of radials... The tread is supposed to be able to wander as a means of not losing traction so it feels like it needs more air than the the performance tires of today.. Just like the original Michelins you don't want to bump the sidewall against a curb... It's funny how old ideas return from time to time. It seems like as popular as this tire is with so many people that the old way of doing up a radial tire was the right way all along... I had radials installed on my Austin Healey 3000 in 1967 and had a hard time adjusting to them.. Once I became used to the loose feeling and slow initial response I grew to love them... This explains what makes a radial ply tire different from a bias ply tire for you youngsters. Radial tire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Four days ago I scuffed the front right sidewall drive-in parking next to a curb. I cringed, but it's only a light one that will clean off. Can't remember the first radials I ran but do remember they always looked flat. I'm sure it was when I stopped using dedicated snows, however.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
I push my pressure up just a bit...39-40psi. My car seems too sluggish at 36psi with these tires.

I've had these tires for 2 seasons. Rotate regularly and they are still holding up well.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
I've been running them at 38 or 39 PSI, I have my own small compressor at home, so I check my tires often. The Fit has a heavy front end and chews up the front tires. The front tires are compressed more because of the engine weight and the egdes rub/contact the ground much more than the rears. To combat that, I've been running at the 38 or 39psi and it's working out great. I still feel the car is stable and grips great. Over inflation with these new tires are not a bad thing anymore. I have a Lexus HS hybrid, the sticker specifically states that the tires will only last 20k on the car. I'll be able to do 30K on them because I did overinflate them to get better mileage and contact with the road. Others on the Lexus forum didn't fare to well with the "recommended" tire pressure. So there is no absolute rule of thumb.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
When radial ply tires were first gaining popularity here the average American built cars didn't have enough camber in the front end because they would steer easier without power steering... My father had me install some radials on his 69 Ford station wagon and the thing was impossible to drive in a straight line or stay in one lane... It was still common for people to throw back a few cold ones and a lot of people liked to indulge and relax with a little herb back then or I'm sure he would have been pulled over... I always told him that if a cop pulled him over tell them the car was drunk. I ran a service station for him then and when the optioned out cars were being fitted with radials everyone that had them thought they always needed air.. Think about it a G-70-15" tire wasn't as wide as a 205-50-15" and they were used on 400 cubic inch Fire Birds and other big block cars.. I excited three teenage boys by creating a cloud of red dirt, gravel and asphalt with 205-50-15"s with my Fit.. All I could see in the rear view mirror at 80 MPH in third gear was a huge reddish brown cloud.. They asked for it so now I'm going to have them wash my car... It's kind of neat seeing kids point and have their friends look at my car when I'm in town on a whiskey run..

Old 01-05-2012, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Mid-40's front and 40ish rear. Otherwise they're too squishy while turning.

Maximum sidewall pressure is 51 PSI cold.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jadr09fit

That's pretty high.

I have mine at 38 all around. I want a little squishiness... saves my back. Even though I say that, it doesn't really feel squishy to me. I might drop it back down to 35 even.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:39 AM
My Porsche mechanic who installed my DWS's recommended 37 front and 35 rear. He told me it's always better to be slightly overinflated than underinflated on any tire.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
One of the Conti Pro Contacts on the rear of my car went flat while I was driving and about a mile or less from home.. I must have been nearly flat for awhile judging by the discoloration of the sidewall and how hot it was but I hadn't noticed it until the tire was ruined... That is common on low aspect ratio radials without rim protectors... I was lucky that my wheel rim wasn't damaged .

Old 01-06-2012, 11:31 AM
I used to own an 86 Chevy Spectrum hatch. I think I drove a day with the right rear perfectly flat before I ever realized it.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
I drove down an entrance ramp and almost onto a freeway in my first Beetle when an idiot changed lanes and forced me into a curb... I had damaged the sidewall on the right front Michelin and just kept on driving for 5 miles or so at freeway speeds... The sidewall was in shreds but the rim never made contact with the pavement... I am pretty sure the radial ply tires with stiff rim protectors wouldn't be capable of doing that.. Of course they are less likely to have a sidewall to be damaged in the first place... I have to admit that I like the way the Eagle GTs I now have on my car feel great when cornering even on wet pavement in a downpour but the 7lb weight difference between them and the smaller Conti Pro contacts affects passing acceleration at highway speeds pretty bad... They hook up out of the hole so I think 0 to 60 happens quicker... I wouldn't like them at all on a stock Fit though.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jadr09fit

Glad to see someone post this...

Today I am at 45F/42R and still feeling too squishy. It's bad enough that if I change lanes rapidly when the car straightens out there is a bit of rebound effect from the sidewalls flexing so much. It is pronounced enough that it unsettles the rear. Maybe I should stop driving like I am in The Italian Job, but first I am going to try 47F/45R.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
I'm guessing most of you guys are using these with the stock 16x6 sport rims. Has anyone tried them with 7" wide aftermarket rims? I'm just wondering if the wider rims help stabilize/stiffen the tires without having to run the tire pressures up so high.

-Dustin

Old 07-31-2014, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Max sidewall is 44 psi, that's what I set mine to right after I bought it. You're not high at all until you go past there.

I don't think widening the rims will add rigidity to the sidewall without adding air pressure.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bama3Dr
I'm guessing most of you guys are using these with the stock 16x6 sport rims. Has anyone tried them with 7" wide aftermarket rims? I'm just wondering if the wider rims help stabilize/stiffen the tires without having to run the tire pressures up so high.

-Dustin

I would be interested in finding out as well. I am into my second tank of gas on these and my normal mpg is 35, I averaged 30 last tank and at 30 so far this tank, not to mention the squirmy feeling takes ALL of the fun out of driving this car for me. I have never felt so much sidewall flex in my life. I am at 48/45 front/rear right now I really don't get how guys are driving around with these things at 33psi and singing their praises

Last edited by Sapper; 08-01-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:31 AM
5 Year Member
I am about to just forget about the $600 spent on these (with mounting/balancing) and buy a new set if lighter weight 17s and some max performance summers. Then they would be an upgrade like I thought I was getting. Instead I am getting lousy gas mileage, unbearable handling, and noticeably slower acceleration

Quick Reply: Best Tire Pressure on Conti DWS 205/50/16's?