2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Need tires soon but don't want a harsh ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
I don't.

My OEM sizing is 205/55/16 on 16x6.5 and 225/50/16 on 16x7.5

I run 255/40/17 on 17x9.

205 on a 6" wheel is a ton of a tire on a tiny wheel. Going to have mushy steering feel because the tire will roll over on itself before anything really happens.
255 on a 9" wheel puts you at 1/2" higher than the very least recommended wheel width for that tire. EXACTLY the same as a 205 on a 6" wheel.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...WR7S&tab=Specs

You're also at the bottom of it's range. Do you have a mushy steering feel due to your tire rolling over on itself?

BTW, they questions are rhetorical because I'm sure it handles and drives great!

Last edited by GAFIT; 08-09-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
255 was done for aesthetic reasons.

My next set of wheels will be 17x9.5 or 17x10 with 255/40 on.

And thanks dude.

But think about this. A 9" wheel is roughly 230mm wide, between beads. So 25mm thinner than the tire is listed at. A 6" (OEM Fit wheel) is roughly 150mm wide between beads....55mm thinner than a 205/50/16 is listed at. Not apples to apples.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031
The technical explatiin of why it's not safe to mount a wider tire on a noarrower rim is here: TIRE TOO WIDE OR TOO NARROW - Rim Ringz

Fit's owner's manual warns to not use tires other than 185/55/16 on these rims for safety reasons.

People are of course free to do what they want. Darwin's natural selection at work.
205/50R16s are actually a Honda accessory tire size for the Fit. They're typically ran on Mugen XJ as well as other (and lesser popular) 16 inch accessory wheel. Both are 6.5 inch widths with I believe +53mm offset but can be ran on the stock Sport wheels for GE8s and likely GK5s due to wheel specs (not sure of chassis clearances though).

Furthermore as long as the wheel width falls within the tire manufacturer's wheel width range for the specified tire size, then the user should be safe in terms of mounting the tire and keeping it seated on the wheel... it doesn't mean the user won't see any abnormalities due to running too wide/narrow of a tire choice though like sidewall flex, slightly stiffer ride due to stretching the sidewall, lack of rim protection, etc.

But keep in mind, that little change in tire with from 185 to 205 on the factory 6 inch wheel usually wouldn't debead a tire... unless the driver is doing something severely... stupid. Typically driving outside of their means and/or colliding with a solid object.

Now there is a guy in my area is running a square set of 225 Michelins on stock GE8 6 inch Sport wheels... I'm not sure if the tires are within the manufacturers recommended wheel width range but they are really close to being at the edge of spec or slightly out of spec. That looks much more unsafe that a 205.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Checked the '12 manual and '15 manual. Not one mention of what size to run on these particular wheels. If you see something from Honda that specifically mentions the 16" wheels and tire width, please show us.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p.../TK61212OM.PDF

Page 228
Read the warning:
Installing improper tires on your vehicle can
affect handling and stability. This can cause
a crash in which you can be seriously hurt or
killed.
Always use the size and type of tires
recommended in this owner’s manual.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p.../TK61212OM.PDF

Page 228
Read the warning:
Installing improper tires on your vehicle can
affect handling and stability. This can cause
a crash in which you can be seriously hurt or
killed.
Always use the size and type of tires
recommended in this owner’s manual.
That is the same warning in all car manuals. It is not a specific warning about putting a larger tire on the factory wheel. It literally says you shouldn't install ANY tire other than the factory size. It's a CYA type statement. There are many of those in auto manuals. It's like the "don't drink the battery acid" warnings.

Honda and every manufacturer violates that rule by offering plus one wheels.

My good friend has over 100,000 miles driven on 205's on his factory wheels and my Mom has about 50,000 miles. My friend lives in my area in the mountains and drives the Fit like he stole it. No abnormalities or issues.

In the end, as long as you are within the guidelines of the tire manufactures suggested wheel width, you will be safe. Feel, however, will generally be better if you are on the higher side of the range for wheel width. We run a 205 on a 7" wheel and it is a better fit than if it were on a 6" wheel. That does not mean the 6" wheel is unsafe. It's just not as optimum.

Edited to add: Probably worth noting that I also found it OK to drive around for many years on non-DOT legal tires and still find it OK to drive around on drag radials. My idea of safe may spread beyond what many others feel is OK.

Last edited by GAFIT; 08-10-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
That is the same warning in all car manuals. It is not a specific warning about putting a larger tire on the factory wheel. It literally says you shouldn't install ANY tire other than the factory size. It's a CYA type statement.
Then do you ignore the seat belt warning light? It's like saying, why bother, I will smoke right near the pump, it's just a CYA.... There are good reasons for warning people to not use tires other than the ones recommended, and that is precisely to avoid getting into a crash and getting killed. If for you this "not specific enough", like I said before, you are free to install anything on your rims, including bicycle tires.

Honda and every manufacturer violates that rule by offering plus one wheels.
If some obscure dealer installs oversized tires on stock rims, they definitely are liable and violating safety guidelines.
I personally have never encountered or heard of that.

My good friend has over 100,000 miles driven on 205's on his factory wheels and my Mom has about 50,000 miles. My friend lives in my area in the mountains and drives the Fit like he stole it. No abnormalities or issues.
People in the rest of the world drive on tires of all kinds of sizes and in all kinds of terrible conditions. Again, if your friend wants to do it, it's on them but it doesn't change the argument that it is a bad idea.

In the end, as long as you are within the guidelines of the tire manufactures suggested wheel width, you will be safe.
I don't think so and neither will I use the tire selling site like tirerack or a tire dealer to speak on safety and contradict the manufacturer like Honda.

Feel, however, will generally be better if you are on the higher side of the range for wheel width. We run a 205 on a 7" wheel and it is a better fit than if it were on a 6" wheel. That does not mean the 6" wheel is unsafe. It's just not as optimum.
Again, we have very different definitions of what is "safe" or "better".
Repeating your argument doesn't make it any stronger.

Edited to add: Probably worth noting that I also found it OK to drive around for many years on non-DOT legal tires and still find it OK to drive around on drag radials. My idea of safe may spread beyond what many others feel is OK.
Exactly, it's your car and your life.

But as for me, when it comes to tire safety, I don't like to tempt the fate and take unnecessary risks.