Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-gen-gk-specific-fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning-sub-forum/)
-   -   exhaust system help within price range, <$400? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-gen-gk-specific-fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning-sub-forum/88293-exhaust-system-help-within-price-range-400-a.html)

robertsmithfromthecure 04-18-2015 08:39 PM

I'll 3rd that these are really awesome! Thanks for taking the time to post all this. Really helps for making our own decisions.

Honda4Life15 04-18-2015 08:40 PM

Mike and James,
No problem. I hope I covered all the details. Let me know if there's anything else you had questions about! I highly rrccomend the HKS Hi-Power stainless steel universal 130mm muffler to anyone with the '15 Fit. It sounds perfect, the quality is perfect, the price is good, and I think it's about as big as you can go with muffler size, fills the rear of the car perfectly! It was much needed fill space back there! I want to take some more detailed pictures of the welds to the muffler and the work that was done to make it fit under there. It was a tight squeeze. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself.

Honda4Life15 04-18-2015 08:42 PM

Robert,
You're welcome as well. Keep me posted on what you all decide to do in the future and update me in results!

Honda4Life15 04-18-2015 08:49 PM

BTW, my next project is a custom air intake. I'm researching how to get this done with the right parts and all. I'm not going to be doing anything impractical with placement of the filter: having to remove the front bumper or something crazy. I'm just going to work with the space as is so everything is accessible. Just have the pipe do a 90 out of the maf housing towards the back with the filter.

Honda4Life15 04-18-2015 09:11 PM

Myxalplyx,
Great question. 3-4k rpm is the loudest exhaust note in the rev range. When 4k is reached and passed, the note flattens out. The 3-4k range is louder under heavy engine load, i.e.when climbing. Definition of loud at 3-4k: low almost bass tone that fills the cabin. At lower speeds around town there is a variety of sporty exhaust notes you get. It's extremely pleasing to hear! It all just sounds so right.
At highway speeds cruising, you hardly notice the exhaust at all, even above 80mph at 2.5-3k rpm. Its very subtle until you increase the throttle/engine load. To me everything is how it should be. I drive a lot every day and I enjoy every moment of it!

Myxalplyx 04-18-2015 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Honda4Life15 (Post 1302884)
Myxalplyx,
Great question. 3-4k rpm is the loudest exhaust note in the rev range. When 4k is reached and passed, the note flattens out. The 3-4k range is louder under heavy engine load, i.e.when climbing. Definition of loud at 3-4k: low almost bass tone that fills the cabin. At lower speeds around town there is a variety of sporty exhaust notes you get. It's extremely pleasing to hear! It all just sounds so right.
At highway speeds cruising, you hardly notice the exhaust at all, even above 80mph at 2.5-3k rpm. Its very subtle until you increase the throttle/engine load. To me everything is how it should be. I drive a lot every day and I enjoy every moment of it!

My bad! You are quick to respond. I had deleted right after posting it because I re-read the 1st page with the information you posted above. You had already answered it. Oops! Thanks again!

4k-5k I am hardly ever in so I was curious and posted too quickly.

roksta 04-21-2015 02:16 PM

You should get some high temp black paint and spray that silencer. They always just seem like an eye sore to me.

alnepo1028 12-21-2015 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Honda4Life15 (Post 1302882)
BTW, my next project is a custom air intake. I'm researching how to get this done with the right parts and all. I'm not going to be doing anything impractical with placement of the filter: having to remove the front bumper or something crazy. I'm just going to work with the space as is so everything is accessible. Just have the pipe do a 90 out of the maf housing towards the back with the filter.

Thanks for that review! Definitely think I'll go this route as well. Any updates on your intake?

Honda4Life15 12-21-2015 07:51 PM

I think to save the trouble and possible engineering flaws of DIY I takes i.e. engine lights resulting... I'd rather go with the AEM intake, at $250, it's all I was going to do and at a reasonable price, even though DIY would have been cheaper... The main reason for DIY to me was to keep the HKS brand, buy oh well

LeFreakyBone 01-05-2016 01:51 PM

Thanks for the info. I’ve been eyeing up this exhaust as well as the Bisimoto Pulse Chamber (on sale for about the same price). I have a feeling, though, that the Bisimoto would be a bit too loud for everyday driving. I think I have made up my mind on this, thanks to your review.

Quick question though. What made you decide to go with the 60mm pipe? Was the smaller size not available at the time? I ask because when I put in my vehicle information on the thmotorsports.com site it says the pipe is 50mm.

Honda4Life15 01-05-2016 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by LeFreakyBone (Post 1331445)
Thanks for the info. I’ve been eyeing up this exhaust as well as the Bisimoto Pulse Chamber (on sale for about the same price). I have a feeling, though, that the Bisimoto would be a bit too loud for everyday driving. I think I have made up my mind on this, thanks to your review.

Quick question though. What made you decide to go with the 60mm pipe? Was the smaller size not available at the time? I ask because when I put in my vehicle information on the thmotorsports.com site it says the pipe is 50mm.

That's strange about the 50mm pipe spec. Idk how there is that option. Either way, it's up to you what look you want out of the set up, a more reserved muffler size or more noticeable. I think the 96mm tip, 130mm shell, and 60mm pipe worked perfectly, but it's completely up to you. You'll probably get a little more suppressed decibel levels from the smaller proportions. I have several YouTube videos if you want to hear what it sounds like in various situations to see if that's the route you want to go. I'm 100% satisfied. I think it's a perfect match for what the car is supposed to be.

LeFreakyBone 01-05-2016 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Honda4Life15 (Post 1331475)
That's strange about the 50mm pipe spec. Idk how there is that option. Either way, it's up to you what look you want out of the set up, a more reserved muffler size or more noticeable. I think the 96mm tip, 130mm shell, and 60mm pipe worked perfectly, but it's completely up to you. You'll probably get a little more suppressed decibel levels from the smaller proportions. I have several YouTube videos if you want to hear what it sounds like in various situations to see if that's the route you want to go. I'm 100% satisfied. I think it's a perfect match for what the car is supposed to be.

Cool thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an important issue. It has been a while since I've had a vehicle that I want to modify so I am in the process of relearning everything haha. I checked out your vids from earlier in this thread and that's what sold me. I want something with more grunt but won't be annoying on my commutes or road trips. Thanks again for the help!

Honda4Life15 01-05-2016 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by LeFreakyBone (Post 1331486)
Cool thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing an important issue. It has been a while since I've had a vehicle that I want to modify so I am in the process of relearning everything haha. I checked out your vids from earlier in this thread and that's what sold me. I want something with more grunt but won't be annoying on my commutes or road trips. Thanks again for the help!

No problem, anytime! Let me know if you have any other questions. The muffler is excellent quality as well. Excellent TIG welds and high quality stainless steel. I sell welding equipment and know a good weld from bad and the right filler metal for the grade of steel, it's top notch build quality and materials!!! Your car will look and sound on a whole new level!

Honda4Life15 01-05-2016 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Honda4Life15 (Post 1331487)
No problem, anytime! Let me know if you have any other questions. The muffler is excellent quality as well. Excellent TIG welds and high quality stainless steel. I sell welding equipment and know a good weld from bad and the right filler metal for the grade of steel, it's top notch build quality and materials!!! Your car will look and sound on a whole new level!

http://youtu.be/TxMpPIHvFYE

Honda4Life15 01-05-2016 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Honda4Life15 (Post 1331489)
http://youtu.be/TxMpPIHvFYE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TxMpPIHvFYE

2Rismo2 01-06-2016 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by LeFreakyBone (Post 1331445)

You have to remember that Honda4Life15 bought a universal muffler and had a shop fab it up for him. It's similar to the HKS Silent HiPower, but not the exact same one.

This is the bolt on for the GK5 Fit with the exact pictures of it: HKS Silent Hi-Power Axle-Back Exhaust - 2015 Honda Fit | Shop HKS parts for the Honda Fit at KamiSpeed.com

That is the exhaust I have and it sounds similar to the universal one Honda4Life15 has installed, but it's completely bolt on. At take offs you can definitely hear the nice exhaust tone, but levels out to barely noticeable when cruising at 65-70. This is on a CVT where 65-70 is about 2400-2500 RPM.

LeFreakyBone 01-06-2016 12:02 PM

Thanks for the additional info! I will probably wait until after I receive my tax return to order it. It may come earlier, though, if I get too excited :thumbups:

Honda4Life15 01-06-2016 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by LeFreakyBone (Post 1331562)
Thanks for the additional info! I will probably wait until after I receive my tax return to order it. It may come earlier, though, if I get too excited :thumbups:

Awesome!
I was originally going to get the HKS Silent Hi-Power axle-back bolt on exhaust noted above, but it was a 3 month wait to get it from Japan, so I just went with the universal muffler.

Myxalplyx 01-06-2016 09:19 PM

Just a warning! If you guys are planning on deleting/changing out your resonator and/or your cats (Ex: RV6 may be coming out with a 'cat delete'/'Race pipe...see thread in this forum), your exhaust will be LOUD with the larger diameter piping. Trust me, I know! I had a 2.25" (57mm) diameter exhaust on from cat delete pipe back and the exhaust sound change was significant. It changed so much that I had an Vibrant ultra quiet resonator, an xcellerator muffler AND a max flo pro muffler installed. And it still was louder than my 2" (50mm) setup.

Honda4Life15 01-06-2016 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Myxalplyx (Post 1331634)
Just a warning! If you guys are planning on deleting/changing out your resonator and/or your cats (Ex: RV6 may be coming out with a 'cat delete'/'Race pipe...see thread in this forum), your exhaust will be LOUD with the larger diameter piping. Trust me, I know! I had a 2.25" (57mm) diameter exhaust on from cat delete pipe back and the exhaust sound change was significant. It changed so much that I had an Vibrant ultra quiet resonator, an xcellerator muffler AND a max flo pro muffler installed. And it still was louder than my 2" (50mm) setup.

Thank you for that very valuable info! I was always considering doing a full custom exhaust cat-back, but now I know I'm not going to, the muffler alone is enough. The only other thing I want to do is a CAI. Thanks for that info from personal experience!