Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

Unofficial Honda FIT Forums (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/)
-   3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-gen-gk-specific-fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning-sub-forum/)
-   -   exhaust system help within price range, <$400? (https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-gen-gk-specific-fit-engine-modifications-motor-swaps-ecu-tuning-sub-forum/88293-exhaust-system-help-within-price-range-400-a.html)

LeFreakyBone 01-09-2016 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Honda4Life15 (Post 1331567)
Awesome!
I was originally going to get the HKS Silent Hi-Power axle-back bolt on exhaust noted above, but it was a 3 month wait to get it from Japan, so I just went with the universal muffler.

So I got impatient and ordered the Silent Hi-Power axle-back this evening. The purchase may have been influenced by the 4 glasses of wine. Ordered it from THM Motorsports for $288 with free shipping after a coupon code.

Honda4Life15 01-09-2016 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by LeFreakyBone (Post 1331936)
So I got impatient and ordered the Silent Hi-Power axle-back this evening. The purchase may have been influenced by the 4 glasses of wine. Ordered it from THM Motorsports for $288 with free shipping after a coupon code.

Wow! Excellent choice! Pics as soon as you get it on, please, and vids of the sound!!! I was wondering if it would backfire like the Fit in the HKS YouTube videos do and how the sound compares to the HKS Hi-Power.
I would have done the bolt on in a heartbeat if it wasn't backordered for at least 3 months, so you made the best choice! Skipping the welding and fitment needed for a muffler. It was pretty nerve wracking wondering if they were going to adapt the muffler to my stock exhaust properly, make good welds, hangers for the muffler, and line up the muffler straight out from under the bumper. They did a decent job, especially for $80, I'm definitely satisfied with the results. The only thing really is they didn't use stainless steel filler metal to match the grade of stainless that my muffler is, so the welds oxidized. Structurally, it's fine and no exhaust leaks, it just doesn't look pretty like the bolt on HKS from the factory would look.

LeFreakyBone 01-10-2016 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Honda4Life15 (Post 1332014)
Wow! Excellent choice! Pics as soon as you get it on, please, and vids of the sound!!! I was wondering if it would backfire like the Fit in the HKS YouTube videos do and how the sound compares to the HKS Hi-Power.
I would have done the bolt on in a heartbeat if it wasn't backordered for at least 3 months, so you made the best choice! Skipping the welding and fitment needed for a muffler. It was pretty nerve wracking wondering if they were going to adapt the muffler to my stock exhaust properly, make good welds, hangers for the muffler, and line up the muffler straight out from under the bumper. They did a decent job, especially for $80, I'm definitely satisfied with the results. The only thing really is they didn't use stainless steel filler metal to match the grade of stainless that my muffler is, so the welds oxidized. Structurally, it's fine and no exhaust leaks, it just doesn't look pretty like the bolt on HKS from the factory would look.

Pics/vids will definitely be coming! I'm hoping I won't have to wait too long for it to come in. I didn't see anything about it being back ordered but I also haven't received a shipping notification yet, granted it was ordered late on a Friday evening so hopefully I'll get an email tomorrow.

2Rismo2 01-11-2016 07:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by LeFreakyBone (Post 1332100)
Pics/vids will definitely be coming! I'm hoping I won't have to wait too long for it to come in. I didn't see anything about it being back ordered but I also haven't received a shipping notification yet, granted it was ordered late on a Friday evening so hopefully I'll get an email tomorrow.

Haha, you're in the phase right after you order something and like "Where the heck is my tracking number!!!"

I ordered a swaybar from thmotorsports the morning of 1/8 and received an email that the order is being processed. It's being drop shipped from the manufacturer so it's out of their hands at this point. No tracking info yet.

I really like my HKS Silent Hi-Power. Nice growl while accelerating without the drone on the highway. No regrets on my purchase.

Attachment 10420

Attachment 10421

LeFreakyBone 01-11-2016 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1332198)
Haha, you're in the phase right after you order something and like "Where the heck is my tracking number!!!"

I ordered a swaybar from thmotorsports the morning of 1/8 and received an email that the order is being processed. It's being drop shipped from the manufacturer so it's out of their hands at this point. No tracking info yet.

I really like my HKS Silent Hi-Power. Nice growl while accelerating without the drone on the highway. No regrets on my purchase.

I got a very similar email this morning about the item being shipped directly from the manufacturer. Looks like I will have to wait a little while. Until then I will stare at your photos and pretend it's mine.

Myxalplyx 01-11-2016 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Honda4Life15 (Post 1331642)
Thank you for that very valuable info! I was always considering doing a full custom exhaust cat-back, but now I know I'm not going to, the muffler alone is enough. The only other thing I want to do is a CAI. Thanks for that info from personal experience!

You are cool if you want to change the mid pipe. I was just speaking on the if anyone changed out from the cat pipe back. The removal of the cats is what changes the sound quite a bit.

Also, I'm curious as to when someone is going to do the full HKS exhaust myself. No-one has been talking about it. Like in this video --.

Look at 2:49 in the video. They have the front pipe (cat delete) that I'm surprised no-one has tried out, along with their mid-pipe and muffler. Their center-pipe in the video has no resonator.

Anyone?

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...0ce0549718.jpg

From here --> ºÃÔÉÑ· ·Õ ÍÒÃì ÍÒÃì ÍÍâµ¾ÒÃì· ¨Ó¡Ñ´

LeFreakyBone 01-12-2016 12:34 PM

Well I stand corrected. I received a tracking number yesterday evening and it looks like I will receive the exhaust on Thursday! :thumbups:

LeFreakyBone 01-15-2016 10:58 AM

I received the Silent Hi-Power yesterday and installed it with ease within about 30 minutes while taking my time in the pitch black night. My first impressions after starting the car last night and letting it idle were that I wished it were just a little bit louder (of course, this is without driving it). But then while driving it to work this morning I fell in love with it. It has a really nice low bassy tone without being overwhelming. I think if I got anything louder my 60 mile daily commute wouldn't be very enjoyable, but the HKS is perfect.

I snapped this pic this morning before heading to work

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...cc93fa5ec3.jpg

2Rismo2 01-15-2016 11:52 AM

Glad you like it. I feel it gets a little bit louder as it breaks in, just slightly. I have an 80 mile daily commute and I too don't think it's too loud especially while cruising. At take offs it has a nice tone and then mellows out.

Surprised you didn't drive it after the install. I was going around the neighborhood with a huge grin after my install.

It's probably not required but after a few days of driving I retorqued the bolts for good measure.

LeFreakyBone 01-15-2016 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1332663)
Surprised you didn't drive it after the install. I was going around the neighborhood with a huge grin after my install.

If I wasn't dead tired from moving everything I own after new flooring was installed in my apartment then I probably would have, but I woke up excited to give it a try.

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1332663)
It's probably not required but after a few days of driving I retorqued the bolts for good measure.

Thanks for the tip. Is there a specified torque setting for the bolts? I didn't crank them down as tight as I could but the spring on the bolt appears to be fully compressed. I figured that would be ok, but if there is a specified setting I may redo them.

2Rismo2 01-15-2016 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by LeFreakyBone (Post 1332667)
Thanks for the tip. Is there a specified torque setting for the bolts? I didn't crank them down as tight as I could but the spring on the bolt appears to be fully compressed. I figured that would be ok, but if there is a specified setting I may redo them.

I couldn't see in the documentation so I asked and was told that other manufacturers recommended between 25-35 ft/lb so I split the difference. So far so good.

LeFreakyBone 01-15-2016 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2 (Post 1332670)
I couldn't see in the documentation so I asked and was told that other manufacturers recommended between 25-35 ft/lb so I split the difference. So far so good.

Ok cool, that sounds like I am somewhere in that range then.

Desmond Lamar MacRae 01-15-2016 02:39 PM

I'm glad we have a cut out in 2nd gen. I just got this MagnaFlow muffler with a more masculine 4in diameter out. pic of 8th gen accord to show how big pipes are in relation th a vehicle.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...1b946072c5.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...06853e992c.jpg

2Rismo2 01-16-2016 07:40 AM

I personally don't like the look of those giant fart pipes, but to each their own. Let's be honest, this is a 1.5 liter engine and I'm glad the HKS equipped Fit doesn't sound like an angry bumble bee

kingjerry14 01-23-2016 02:36 PM

Did you notice better performance after installing the HKS axleback like Honda4Life15's custom install? I don't mind the stock sound now and I like the sleeper feel. If it is better, then it will be added to my future purchase list.

I love this car so much. I came from a 1997 Civic EX EJ8 so this is a massive upgrade.

2Rismo2 01-23-2016 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by kingjerry14 (Post 1333557)
Did you notice better performance after installing the HKS axleback like Honda4Life15's custom install? I don't mind the stock sound now and I like the sleeper feel. If it is better, then it will be added to my future purchase list.

I love this car so much. I came from a 1997 Civic EX EJ8 so this is a massive upgrade.

I don't know of any performance increase but I wasn't really expecting it from an axle back to be honest. I just wanted a more sporty sounding exhaust. No before and after dyno so can't corroborate any perceived increase.

Honda4Life15 01-23-2016 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by kingjerry14 (Post 1333557)

I haven't done a dyno or anything yet to find out if there's power increase, but I know there must be some increase because the HKS is a completely straight through pipe, zero exhaust flow resistance. Just IMO, I feel that power is available throughout the entire rpm range, just simply the car seems more responsive under engine load than with the stock muffler.

kingjerry14 01-23-2016 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Honda4Life15 (Post 1333570)
I haven't done a dyno or anything yet to find out if there's power increase, but I know there must be some increase because the HKS is a completely straight through pipe, zero exhaust flow resistance. Just IMO, I feel that power is available throughout the entire rpm range, just simply the car seems more responsive under engine load than with the stock muffler.

Responsive is what I love

Honda4Life15 01-23-2016 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by LeFreakyBone (Post 1332655)
I received the Silent Hi-Power yesterday and installed it with ease within about 30 minutes while taking my time in the pitch black night. My first impressions after starting the car last night and letting it idle were that I wished it were just a little bit louder (of course, this is without driving it). But then while driving it to work this morning I fell in love with it. It has a really nice low bassy tone without being overwhelming. I think if I got anything louder my 60 mile daily commute wouldn't be very enjoyable, but the HKS is perfect.

I snapped this pic this morning before heading to work

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fit...cc93fa5ec3.jpg

Perfect!!! Well done, will surely never be disappointed with the quality of that exhaust. It's top notch quality in materials and sound, completely unique and sets you in a class of your own from the fart cannons and moron obnoxious blaring American muscle cars. It is a proper, reserved Japanese sports car, like the design behind the new NSX, not trying to prove anything, holds it's own, doesn't follow others, just pure sound and excellent quality that stands the test of time.

Myxalplyx 01-23-2016 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Honda4Life15 (Post 1333570)
I haven't done a dyno or anything yet to find out if there's power increase, but I know there must be some increase because the HKS is a completely straight through pipe, zero exhaust flow resistance.

I've been saying this for over a year now. That stock exhaust is not straight through. You can't even see straight through it. I took pics and posted previously. There's no way you are not going to get at least a little power increase from going with a straight through design. Especially if the metal in the straight through pipe does not interrupt the exhaust flow.