3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the third generation GK Honda Fit.

Aem Intake for 2015 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 08:26 AM
Aem Intake for 2015 Fit

Finally something came out for the car lol.

21-748C - AEM , AEM Cold Air Intake System Factory Direct

Name:  AEM-21-748C_Alt.jpg
Views: 2659
Size:  37.2 KB
Name:  AEM-21-748C.jpg
Views: 2647
Size:  43.0 KB
Name:  AEM-21-748C_Side.jpg
Views: 2537
Size:  30.2 KB
Name:  AEM-21-748C_Eng.jpg
Views: 4852
Size:  81.2 KB

Old 05-29-2015, 01:33 PM
jhn
I can't see how that is better than OE. It's possible it breaths better, I'd guess it draws hotter air.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
4hp and 4ft/lb, that's more than I expected.

If that's true seems like a fun mod.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:44 PM
If anything its more for the sound and to breath a little better.

Last edited by Hitman1614; 05-29-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member
I don't really see this as having any real benefit, especially on a naturally aspirated car. It's not really a "cold air" intake either haha.

The intake looks like it has a little bit of heat shielding, but it's still sucking in warmer, less dense air from the engine bay. This is versus the stock airbox which receives cooler, denser air directly from the intake tubing. The purpose of an upgraded intake is usually to allow more air to get into the engine, but when the cooler denser air expands in the hot engine this ends up amounting to "more" than you'd get with an open intake like that.

It's also sucking in relatively "motionless" air from the engine bay. Yes, I can see the stock airbox tubing is still there with this intake, allowing moving air to get into the bay as you drive, but for the most part the stock airbox is a closed system and as the car travels forward, air gets pushed up and in through the grille.

All of this adds up to faster-flowing, cooler, denser air getting pushed into the filter, versus hotter denser air getting sucked into the intake, which (in my opinion) makes an open cone intake like that relatively useless in applications like the Fit's engine, except maybe at high speeds (to push the most cold air possible into the engine bay) and high engine speeds. A better application for that type of intake would be a higher output forced induction motor.

Unless of course you're just doing it for the sound

Last edited by 1speedbike; 05-29-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
It's pointed in the completely wrong direction. I agree, this is a hot air intake.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator
hot air intake would be nice during the winter months for better MPG

Old 05-30-2015, 06:20 PM
see the thing is its also about where you live I'm down here in florida its always hot esp in the summer which is almost 9 months lol even with the stock intake sucking out air from the outside is gonna be hot so wether its the stock or the short ram it will be hot so why not gain a tiny bit of hp it will sound a lot better and a lil better gas mileage. as soon as i get some cash I'm gonna order it ill let you guys know how it is.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Hitman1614
Finally something came out for the car lol.

21-748C - AEM , AEM Cold Air Intake System Factory Direct

Usually I totally trust AEM with their designs and numbers but this one makes no sense to me at all. It's pointing backwards in the back of the engine bay ! I have trouble believing the 4HP and torque gain.

I had an AEM cold air in my previous car but I'll pass on this one. Come on K&N, give us something better !

Old 06-10-2015, 01:28 PM
agreed... its facing the wrong way...

the problem is that our engine layout does not allow for an intake to face the other direction...
if they can find a way to route the stock air box tubing to get closer to the filter, that may help.

lets go K & N!!!!!

Old 06-10-2015, 01:47 PM
I know it's facing the wrong way but so was the short ram in my rsx type-s and I still felt the intake and it sounded really good

Old 06-10-2015, 02:17 PM
i'm not knocking the intake. Think it looks good.

Was just hoping there was some way to get cooler air to the intake with the given layout restrictions.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by WutUGot
i'm not knocking the intake. Think it looks good.

Was just hoping there was some way to get cooler air to the intake with the given layout restrictions.
I personally think it looks lousy. Even if it was sideways or facing forward, it's still way in the back where only hot or warm air exists. I'm really surprised it has the AEM name on it.

Look at the PRM intake design for example. I don't know about the power gain of that design but it makes much more sense to me. I don't like the fact that it seems to draw air from the front part of a tube instead of a bigger conical surface but at least the design seems more logical. I wonder if somebody could modify the stock Honda inlet. At least that part is drawing cold air.

Last edited by mikeDF; 06-10-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:44 PM
I have that intake on my vehicle. AEM used it as a tester, and I gotta say, it works great. I noticed a slight increase in power when I first got it, definitely gave it more pull. The pictures in the original post look like my car, but I can post pictures if needed.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:46 PM
agreed... its facing the wrong way...

the problem is that our engine layout does not allow for an intake to face the other direction...
if they can find a way to route the stock air box tubing to get closer to the filter, that may help.

lets go K & N!!!!!
K&N and AEM are the same. K&N reached out to me but used AEM's R&D and K&N filter for the intake.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
A little creativity goes a long way. Wait until you see Weapon R's design and you'll see what I mean. Even still, it'll still be a hot air intake. You'll see!

Old 06-16-2015, 08:25 AM
im not saying anyone is knocking the intake but this word cold keeps getting thrown in there where would this cold air come from im i live in florida and temps are between 80's and almost 100. its always gonna be hot air going into it no matter if its in the back front or sideways.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hitman1614
im not saying anyone is knocking the intake but this word cold keeps getting thrown in there where would this cold air come from im i live in florida and temps are between 80's and almost 100. its always gonna be hot air going into it no matter if its in the back front or sideways.

Cold air just refers to drawing in outside air rather than warm/hot engine bay temperatures. If you are in Africa and the outside temperature is 110F, a cold air intake would pull in intake air temps of 110F or somewhere close to that. While a warm/hot air intake could be pulling in 20F+ (Upwards to even 60F+) higher temperatures than the outside air temperature.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:10 AM
jhn
I not going to go as far as saying the test results were manipulated, but they are not realistic gains in many scenarios. I saw the ambient test temps were below 50 degrees; I did not see mention of engine temps, so heat soak can have an effect on the results. Also, what was the condition of the control intake? Was it new and clean OEM? Dirty? Other?

I'm not sold on the idea there will be a 4hp gain in, say, 100 degree Florida.

Check this link for more perspective on "cold air" intakes:

K&N Air Filter Review - Debunking the Myths (and why OEM is better)

Old 08-06-2015, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
A little creativity goes a long way. Wait until you see Weapon R's design and you'll see what I mean. Even still, it'll still be a hot air intake. You'll see!
When's this due out?

Quick Reply: Aem Intake for 2015 Fit