3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

Installed those TRS Morimoto LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Installed those TRS Morimoto LEDs

So I received the TRS morimoto LED foglights (Type S) a couple days ago and today I installed them after coming home from work. I wanted to take them out for a test immediately in the Angeles Forest Highway to see how well they work under very dark conditions and maybe take a video of it during the drive, but I had just sprayed the 3M paint defender on my hood (after so many paint chips and touch ups) so alas that's fun times for me for another evening.

Total time to install from bumper removal to putting bumper back ~ 30 minutes.

You will have to remove your bumper for this, although you "can" take out the foglight shrouds but risk scratching the bumper. Your choice. To remove bumper, you'll have to take out the clips on top (about 8 clips total), the two self-tapping screws on both side wheel well (four screws total), the screws that go to each foglight access under the bumper (two screws total), and about 8 clips underneath the bumper that hold it to the plastic covering under the engine.

Bumper removal instructions can also be found on College Hills honda website for the 2015 Honda Fit Sport Grille accessory. Ultimately if you've removed bumpers off cars before it's a very easy ordeal.

Excuse the crappy pictures. It's all from my phone.

Type S (circle) the Subaru one. The Type T won't fit.

Name:  8bVlBfHl.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  25.1 KB

Name:  iAx3V7Ql.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  37.6 KB

When you take out the foglight shroud, you're left with the fog light assembly, which can be easily taken off with two screws, then put the new fog lights in. It's exactly plug and play. One screw is missing because I already took out the screw.

Name:  YBuWFTn.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  1.22 MB

The back of the fog light shrouds look like this. Notice the little clips. You push them in from the inside of the bumper (about five of them) then the shroud pops out from the front. You 'can' push them in from outside the bumper facing the fog lights .... but .... you might scratch the bumper. I suppose if you eat a Haagan Daaz ice cream bar, you can use the leftover tongue depressor to push the clips down safely.

Name:  hBVYyIj.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  890.0 KB

Pop the shroud back on after screwing the new fog lights in. Looks good!

Name:  1WQzkwul.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  49.4 KB

Name:  kfcHO6Xl.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  37.8 KB

Check the polarity of the wires and turn on the fog lights before putting the morimoto led wires into the plug TRS supplies you with. But if you look at the picture, it's a simple to see that Blue (honda wire) goes to Red (morimoto wire). And obviously black to black.

Name:  GJqXCFw.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  350.8 KB

Turned on.

Name:  HweGwOvl.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  10.3 KB

Close up

Name:  4sQkeIg.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  752.6 KB

Aimed at the fridge in my garage. Lovely cutoff.

Name:  1MiMUril.jpg
Size:  31.0 KB

Again. Lovely cutoff. Just my fog lights were on. My headlights were covered so I could spray the 3M paint defender thing on my hood.

Name:  Bt98W3Il.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  16.9 KB

How it looks from outside the car. My pavement and garage isn't leveled (you can tell by the earthquake cracks in the pavement) so it's difficult for me to get a good idea of how the light shines or light spread is. There IS a leveled area of my drive way, but it's too far from a wall to see how the light cutoff looks, hence I wish I could take it out to a really dark area to test out the lights.

Name:  zIPCWI5l.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  24.2 KB

So for now. LED fogs with halogen headlights. Looks off since my halogens aren't pure white like these LEDs but I'm okay with that since I'm going for more function over form. Gonna wait for my TRS retrofits to arrive and then find good weekend where I can have the oven to myself to retrofit those other bad boys. Btw, I did not adjust the aim on the foglights, left them the way they were. Appears to be the same as stock.

Last edited by noripwr; 09-05-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:17 AM
any ideas about installing these on an LX that doesn't already come with fogs?

Old 09-06-2014, 03:56 AM
Originally Posted by BLXFITTY

BLX, afaik you should check underneath the bumper, there's a screw on each side where the "foglights" should be. Unscrew those and look under the flap to see if you already have the OEM harnesses already in the car. If you do, all you really need are the OEM foglight shrouds. AFAIK the usdm bumpers are all the same cept for the different shrouds for whichever trim.

I've done foglight installs for several of my previous cars, and luckily they all had the OEM harness already on and it was just a matter of popping off the cover, getting an appropriate foglight shroud, popping the foglight in, then putting in the new shroud.

3M paint defender dried. Took some new pics

Looks so much more amazing in person. TRS products really make a difference.

Name:  vyvRTro.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  497.2 KB

Drive way fog lights off

Name:  UgXGqul.jpg
Size:  582.9 KB

Drive way fog lights on

Name:  GJr08Ez.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  628.7 KB

Last edited by noripwr; 09-06-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
wow, that looks like a huge improvement. the stock lighting sucks so bad on the Fit

how much was the LED fogs? almost looks like these were made for the Fit. such a great fitment. do they come in yellow?

Old 09-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Administrator
Nice writeup and clean install!

Old 09-06-2014, 03:25 PM
They were $160. +$20 for the laminx so you can have them in yellow. I wanted the laminx, but I wanted to see how bright these really were, and figured I can laminx it myself later if I wanted to.

I've seen a number of Acura Accord and CrV owners do it so I figured I'd try and see if it fits on the Fit. It fits! It is Go!

I drove around the block late last night after the 3M stuff "dried" and these fogs and the coverage they provide put PNP HID bulbs to shame.
They had better coverage and lit up the ground better than a previous gen 3 series I passed by, though I'm not sure if that 3 series is rocking OEM HIDs or aftermarket. Looked aftermarket though.

I'm a bit bummed that the stock halogen fogs appear to have better widespread coverage on our Fits than these motion to LEDs. I think it has to do with how our foglights sit deeper in the fog light shrouds. I've seen pics of these same fog lights in an Accord and there's wider coverage in that car. Then again this is all subjective.

sorry BLX, but I forget that the LX trims probably don't have the fog light stalk. You'd have to get that too, but if you know how to remove steering wheel and add leather steering wheel, changing out the stalk should be a piece of cake. They have instructions on how to swap it in a Mazda, and its pretty much similar steps.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Looks awsome. Similar to my HID fogs in distance.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Those foglights are brighter than my driving lights

Old 09-08-2014, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Looks real good... nice!

Wonder what it would take to make these work on a GE8.... it that's even possible. Those are round, right? and the GE8's are oval.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
Great upgrade and clean install

Old 09-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Nice write up - thanks!

Old 09-13-2014, 03:36 PM
Great post!
I’ve been thinking of getting this for our RDX but haven’t really seen any good comparison pics.

Can’t wait to see the retrofit on your car.
What projectors are you going with?
Maybe you’ll be the first GK fit with projectors.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by FitStir
Looks real good... nice!

Wonder what it would take to make these work on a GE8.... it that's even possible. Those are round, right? and the GE8's are oval.
They are com ing out with an oval one.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member
If anyone is planning to buy these fog lights there is a coupon code to give you a $24 discount. I just bought a pair just because of the code =)
code ToyotaNation

Old 09-15-2014, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xxryu139x
They are com ing out with an oval one.

For realz... I sure hope so, I've been putting off changing the glass on one of mine.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by FitStir

For realz... I sure hope so, I've been putting off changing the glass on one of mine.
I believe they just released jeep ones. Should be here soon.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BLXFITTY
I want to do the same thing, if you find out how please let me know.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:07 AM
Look under bumper flap for pre-wired OEM fog light harness.

Then buy fog light shroud, fog lights, and fog light stalk.

Remove existing LX shrouds, put fog light on, connect to harness, put new fog light shroud on. Remove steering wheel, take out stalk, put in new head light switch w/ fogs stalk on. Put steering wheel back on.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:37 AM
Hey if these are plug and play email TRS to have them update their list of cars it fits on.

The fit is currently not listed.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
Bump - how are you liking the fogs after driving around w/ them? I'm going to order after seeing the coupon code listed above. Would you recommend adding washers to the bottom two screws to aim the fogs higher?

Quick Reply: Installed those TRS Morimoto LEDs