3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

Fog Light Cracked Already

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
Fog Light Cracked Already

Less than 2000 miles and the left side fog lens is already cracked and its a good crack too. I expect it will fall apart shortly. There are some small shards of glass inside the light.

I know in the GD the lens couldn't be replaced without replacing the whole assembly.

Is it the same in the GK? Anybody know?

Old 09-10-2014, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by andre181
Less than 2000 miles and the left side fog lens is already cracked and its a good crack too. I expect it will fall apart shortly. There are some small shards of glass inside the light.

I know in the GD the lens couldn't be replaced without replacing the whole assembly.

Is it the same in the GK? Anybody know?
Any idea what caused it to crack? Did something hit your car?

Old 09-10-2014, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
I'm guessing gravel.

There is no other damage so it wasn't something big that hit it.

Same thing happened with my GD but that was a few a few years of ownership. This happened after just over 2 months.

I looked up the part on Bernardi and its only $44 for a new assembly so its not really that bad, just annoying.

I'll order some film when I order the new fog light to help protect them next time.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
I'm guessing gravel.

There is no other damage so it wasn't something big that hit it.

Same thing happened with my GD but that was a few a few years of ownership. This happened after just over 2 months.

I looked up the part on Bernardi and its only $44 for a new assembly so its not really that bad, just annoying.

I'll order some film when I order the new fog light to help protect them next time.
What type film would a person use? I may take some preventive action and cover mine as well.

I remember when my Daughter and I were driving back from the dealership, the Interstate was in the process of being repaved, and had already been ground down, leaving a bunch of loose asphalt on the road. As the trucks in front of us stirred up the stone size hunks, we could hear it hitting the car and windshield. We slowed down to get away from it, but when we got home we could see several small paint chips on the hood. I was very surprised the one that hit the windshield did not cause a crack, because it was really loud. I could see how something like that could break the foglight.....

Old 09-11-2014, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
What type film would a person use? I may take some preventive action and cover mine as well.

I remember when my Daughter and I were driving back from the dealership, the Interstate was in the process of being repaved, and had already been ground down, leaving a bunch of loose asphalt on the road. As the trucks in front of us stirred up the stone size hunks, we could hear it hitting the car and windshield. We slowed down to get away from it, but when we got home we could see several small paint chips on the hood. I was very surprised the one that hit the windshield did not cause a crack, because it was really loud. I could see how something like that could break the foglight.....
Its a film similar to a screen protector for a smartphone, just a little thicker.

There are a number of websites online that sell them precut.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
After the foglight lens cracked in my 09 Fit, I got these brand protectors and they worked great. I just applied mine to my 15 Fit this weekend: 15 Honda Fit Fog Light Protection Kit

Old 09-11-2014, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
After the foglight lens cracked in my 09 Fit, I got these brand protectors and they worked great. I just applied mine to my 15 Fit this weekend: 15 Honda Fit Fog Light Protection Kit
Awesome! Those are what I ended up ordering this morning! Glad to hear someone has some good experience with them.

BTW, does anybody know where the screw(s) are to remove the fog light? At first glance, I couldn't spot one.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:17 AM
You have to remove the entire bumper to have easy access to the fog light shrouds that cover the fogs. When you remove the shrouds the screws are in front of the fog lights.

You can also remove the shrouds, although there are about 6-8 clips holding them onto the bumper. If you use an ice cream bar stick to depress the shroud clips, I guess it would be possible to remove them w/o scratching the bumper.

I have pics of the fog light in a thread i made here,

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...moto-leds.html

Old 09-12-2014, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by noripwr
You have to remove the entire bumper to have easy access to the fog light shrouds that cover the fogs. When you remove the shrouds the screws are in front of the fog lights.

You can also remove the shrouds, although there are about 6-8 clips holding them onto the bumper. If you use an ice cream bar stick to depress the shroud clips, I guess it would be possible to remove them w/o scratching the bumper.

I have pics of the fog light in a thread i made here,

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...moto-leds.html
BIG THANKS!!

After looking at your pictures, I went out to the garage and toyed around with it. I used a very thin soft plastic interior trim tool and pushed the clips from the outside. The shroud popped right off and no damage to the bumper. Easy peasy! At least I now know that I can easily replace my fog light when the replacement comes next week.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
I can vouch for this film, too. I put it on the fog lights on my 2010 Fit. Have driven across the country and on many gravel/dirt roads and so far -- no cracks.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:54 PM
Its a film similar to a screen protector for a smartphone, just a little thicker.

There are a number of websites online that sell them precut.
Our materials are a lot thicker than what would go on a phone screen. They need to be to cushion the stone impact

Originally Posted by sooznd
I can vouch for this film, too. I put it on the fog lights on my 2010 Fit. Have driven across the country and on many gravel/dirt roads and so far -- no cracks.

When we were taking measurements for the 2015 Fit the dealer demo out front had a cracked lens...

Comes in clear and some other flavors as well. HID Blue - Shines white for example:

More info and photos of other years in our vendor thread here
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/merc...available.html