3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

Projector headlight install

Old 09-26-2014, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Projector headlight install

Hi,
I took delivery of my white EX-L about 1 week ago and thought I’d share my various projects as time progresses. This is the first project and what I consider one of the best. My previous vehicle (Ford Explorer) had xenon projectors and now I’m spoiled and can’t go back, kind of like going from a flip phone to a smart phone. I will be installing TRS Bi-Xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III DS2 with 4300k bulbs. I’m also installing VLED V3 Triton switchback bulbs in place of the turn signals and will be using those as my daytime lights. I’ll remove the daytime light fuse for the mains so I’m not running the xenons all the time.
Last night I Opened the headlights after baking them in the oven for 10 minutes on 200. Worked perfect. Here are a few pics of the inside of the light. I plan on having the project finished by the end of the weekend and will post more pics.

Name:  wRdNMrx.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  495.6 KB

Name:  sOkVo6q.jpg
Size:  493.1 KB

Name:  XdUqtGZ.jpg
Size:  459.9 KB

Old 09-26-2014, 04:32 PM
Nice, subscribing!

Old 09-26-2014, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
that bowl looks tiny. looks like u may have to cut/shape the shroud to fit. have fun!

Old 09-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Superfly
Hi,
I took delivery of my white EX-L about 1 week ago and thought I’d share my various projects as time progresses. This is the first project and what I consider one of the best. My previous vehicle (Ford Explorer) had xenon projectors and now I’m spoiled and can’t go back, kind of like going from a flip phone to a smart phone. I will be installing TRS Bi-Xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III DS2 with 4300k bulbs. I’m also installing VLED V3 Triton switchback bulbs in place of the turn signals and will be using those as my daytime lights. I’ll remove the daytime light fuse for the mains so I’m not running the xenons all the time.
Last night I Opened the headlights after baking them in the oven for 10 minutes on 200. Worked perfect. Here are a few pics of the inside of the light. I plan on having the project finished by the end of the weekend and will post more pics.

Awesome dude! Same idea I'm having for the switchbacks and taking off the fuse, though I'm also gonna run the xb led strips next to the fogs for the JDM LED DRL look. Good luck on the project! What shrouds u end up getting ?

Old 09-26-2014, 05:16 PM
You da MAN!!!!!!

Old 09-26-2014, 05:41 PM
5 Year Member
Exciting, in for progress updates

Does the retrofit kit require you to tap the battery? With the PNP kit (tapped off the battery), the small battery struggles and the car almost stalls out during HID fire-up sometimes. Not sure if it's also interference to the ECU.

If you tap off the battery, will you add a capacitor?

Old 09-26-2014, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
I got the Apollo 1 shrouds.
Yes, it runs straight to the battery. I tested them when I got them the other day just to make sure they worked and everything seemed fine so hopefully it stays that way. If I run into any power issues I'll find a fix.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator
the morimoto ballasts are pretty good. i havent read about anyone from HIDP.com using a capacitor to the battery. I run Matsushita ballasts on mine and they fire up right away.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:51 AM
You know tofu, I think someone on here mentioned if your engine is stalling on HID fire up could be cuz of the ballast.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:01 AM
5 Year Member
thanks for the info, i'll do a little searching later

Old 09-28-2014, 11:54 AM
oooooo time for me to sub to this post

Old 09-28-2014, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
Finished the install. It's too bright out currently to take any decent pics. The white on the car is blinding. I'll try to get some posted tonight or tomorrow. Overall it went pretty smooth. The main hiccup was that the tilt adjustment is crap and stripped out so I basically had to get the lights in position and then put some hot glue on the adjustment screws to hold the placement. Seems fine but crappy on Hondas part none the less. Anyone wanting to take their lights out, there are 4 bolts per light. Two on top, one on the side just behind the bumper, one on the bottom behind the bumper. I didn't have to completely remove the bumper but instead removed the bolts and rivets from the top and sides and pulled it forward enough. There was plenty of flex in it.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Finished the install. It's too bright out currently to take any decent pics. The white on the car is blinding. I'll try to get some posted tonight or tomorrow. Overall it went pretty smooth. The main hiccup was that the tilt adjustment is crap and stripped out so I basically had to get the lights in position and then put some hot glue on the adjustment screws to hold the placement. Seems fine but crappy on Hondas part none the less. Anyone wanting to take their lights out, there are 4 bolts per light. Two on top, one on the side just behind the bumper, one on the bottom behind the bumper. I didn't have to completely remove the bumper but instead removed the bolts and rivets from the top and sides and pulled it forward enough. There was plenty of flex in it.

Are you saying your headlight adjustment screws were stripped to begin with, or that happened during the install? If it were stripped to begin with, isn't that a warranty issue that Honda should take care of?

Old 09-28-2014, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
I actually stripped them when trying to remove the reflectors. When they got to their lowest limit, instead of just coming out they just kept turning and stripped the soft plastic retainer. Seems honda would have used a nut instead. The reflectors would not come out and I has to just paint them while they were still attached to the housing.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:26 PM
I actually stripped them when trying to remove the reflectors. When they got to their lowest limit, instead of just coming out they just kept turning and stripped the soft plastic retainer. Seems honda would have used a nut instead. The reflectors would not come out and I has to just paint them while they were still attached to the housing.

Oh that blows. Would've made it easier to paint the reflector bowl without having to mask stuff if it would just come right off.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:35 PM
i've thought about doing the mini d2s as well
should be plug and play correct?
any picture of the finish head lights?

Old 09-29-2014, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenji815
i've thought about doing the mini d2s as well
should be plug and play correct?
any picture of the finish head lights?
Yeah, it's plug and play in terms of no need to splice wires.
Sorry I haven't put any pics up yet, I've been pretty busy the past several days. I'll get some up in the next few days. I tried taking some last night but the lighting sucked again. I'll probably pull out the SLR instead of the Iphone.
Oh, and note to others, if you take the screws out of the bottom of the reflector bowl make sure you put them back in before re-installing the light. Yep, I did that hence no time last night to get real pics. Going to re-aim the lights tonight.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
Ok, pics finally.

Name:  yxUQGMU.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  95.6 KB

Name:  zHYL44V.jpg
Size:  224.5 KB

Name:  wxIO7pq.jpg
Size:  167.3 KB

Name:  sMtisdt.jpg
Size:  238.9 KB

Old 09-29-2014, 10:07 PM
Ok, pics finally.

that looks really fucking good.. better then I expected lol sorry.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, i'm glad I exceeded your expectations haha.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Projector headlight install