3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 3rd Gen GK Honda Fit

The Stubby Spoiler Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
The Stubby Spoiler Thread

Over in the USDM vs. JDM Spoiler Questions thread, a couple of us expressed interest in the base model JDM/AUDM Fit/Jazz "stubby spoiler:"

I had some time last week (rare!) so I took my USDM rear spoiler wing off to see what was underneath, which turns out to be the 'stubby' spoiler! It's actually the steel door frame… There are caveats, however, as you'll see.

To remove the USDM wing, open the rear hatch and pop out the two rubber seals covering a pair of hex-head screws that also need to be removed.

Next, carefully pry the plastic panel away from the underside of the wing (clips circled).

Each side will have a bolt and a plastic "one-way" clip. The bolts come out easy, but I had to destroy one of the clips to remove the wing (the clips go into a slot on the wing, so once one is removed, the wing can slide off the other). With the wing off, I was able to use a thin flat-blade screwdriver to remove both clips, but it wasn't easy.

At this point, the wing can be set aside, but cannot be removed without disconnecting the third brake light and windshield washer fluid line.

I stopped here, as it became obvious the USDM brake light would not work in the 'stubby' brake light hole – a JDM light will have to be sourced after confirming it has the integral washer fluid nozzle.

Additionally, for one wanting to convert to the stubby spoiler, you'll have four extra holes to cover or seal.

I think it's a doable project and am going to pursue sourcing a JDM brake light. Will post more if it works out.

es

Old 04-22-2015, 03:26 PM
Good info. I saw someone did the wing tilt on a GK already and I was curious how the wing looks with out the covers. Looks like it's a lot of work to make it look nice.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
good job stembridge. i also saw Bee's pics on IG. good to know we won't need a new hatch. i believe we just need to drill to use the JDM RS spoiler. we also will need to plug a hole

Old 08-21-2015, 06:05 AM
Hey stembridge, were you able to source a JDM brake light? Are you still looking into doing the stubby spoiler?

Old 08-21-2015, 09:43 AM
The USDM Fit basically has the same rear tailgate as the RS JDM version and S versions in Japan. For you guys to be able to fit the High Mount Stop light on your tailgates, you guys are going to have to 1. Fill in the holes left by the old wing and 2. Cut a rectangular shaped hole on the centre of the hatch for the high mount stoplight to fit.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fudge
Hey stembridge, were you able to source a JDM brake light? Are you still looking into doing the stubby spoiler?
No joy yet…

es

Old 11-19-2015, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Just a quick update that I just figured out that I can order Canadian market Fit parts and have them shipped direct to me here in the US… Toronto Honda Parts is who I used, but there are certainly others. Don't know why I never thought to try this before!

es

Old 11-19-2015, 06:54 PM
This sounds great, since I never liked the look of plastic add-on spoilers. I really wish that the LX had dispensed with it.

Do you have pictures of the holes that need to be plugged? Are they nice and round so rubber plugs can be fitted or are we talking about something like sheet metal screw holes?

I'd like to do it fairly soon, before the plastic spoiler has a chance to rub through the paint.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member
One of the pics above shows them.

es

Old 11-23-2015, 05:11 PM
Ah, I see. I was looking at it upside down!

I see holes on the underside of the built in "spoiler" bulge which are no issue at all. Fill them with plugs or stubby cap screws. Are there any holes on the top side or edge of the bulge when the hatch is closed?

Old 11-26-2015, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
I don't think there were...

es

Old 08-29-2021, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
Gonna bring this thread back to life.....in the end.... Were you able to confirm if the AUDM braje light comes with the nozzle... Not that it is THAT inportant... And do you have a pic of it mounted....

Old 09-04-2021, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
Went all out and did the 3rd brake lamp conversion....
I'm only missing the water nozzle....

Those clips have to be cut down to fit... Either that or cut the lid...

Test fitting it

Final look....