3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Does anyone use a dash mat/dash cover?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 01:08 AM
Does anyone use a dash mat/dash cover?

In my previous Fit, I found that the glare off of the dash was, at times, blinding, so I purchased a carpet cover which was always ultra ugly, but very functional. As it turns out, the plastic of the GK is just as reflective in the sun, and that reflection not only directly blinds me, but it bounces off into the windshield and reduces visibility in bright conditions.

Does anyone else use a mat of some sort, and might you have any recommendations for brands? Or if you're not using a mat but have some way to cut down on the glare, what methods are you using?

Old 09-25-2014, 02:56 AM
Yup

Dashdesigns
Sedona suede

Last edited by yuffers; 09-25-2014 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-25-2014, 09:12 AM
5 Year Member
I use sunglasses and the glare is gone.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:23 AM
m_x
I read (don't remember where, maybe in the manual) that using dash cover mats could interfere with the airbags if they were to deploy.

I have no source for this information and it might be false.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:41 AM
Hmm, thanks for the replies so far, guys and gals! I totaled a '10 Fit with a tree at 50 mph, and the airbags deployed ok with the dash cover, BUT I had never velcroed it down, so it just sort of stayed put because the sun molded it to fit. I'll definitely have to look into that further.

If I didn't wear glasses, I'd wear sunglasses, but I refuse to 1. buy clip ons, or 2. get Transitions lenses. No judgment about those who choose either of those routes, but neither are for me.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Getting a little off-topic, sorta, but there are sunglasses that fit over glasses. They look dorky, but get the job done.

Also, I have some transitions and I find they don't really get dark enough to help.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spaghetina
Hmm, thanks for the replies so far, guys and gals! I totaled a '10 Fit with a tree at 50 mph, and the airbags deployed ok with the dash cover, BUT I had never velcroed it down, so it just sort of stayed put because the sun molded it to fit. I'll definitely have to look into that further.

If I didn't wear glasses, I'd wear sunglasses, but I refuse to 1. buy clip ons, or 2. get Transitions lenses. No judgment about those who choose either of those routes, but neither are for me.
Spaghetina-
I also wear glasses - I rely on my prescription sunglasses which I wear all the time (except at night) since it is almost as sunny here in Colorado as in California.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by spaghetina

I have transition lenses. They don't really work in the car. I have to wave them out the window for them to get dark, but they go back to clear after a couple minutes in the car. >_< I refuse to get prescription sunglasses.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by noripwr
I have transition lenses. They don't really work in the car. I have to wave them out the window for them to get dark, but they go back to clear after a couple minutes in the car. >_< I refuse to get prescription sunglasses.

I refuse to get transition lenses-- had them ages ago and they went dark under fluorescent lighting. Maybe they are better these days?

A friend of mine found these cool looking sunglasses at Target which fit over her regular glasses. I went and tried them on-- and they worked on my glasses, too.... $14.97--less expensive than a dash mat.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:09 PM
I use black shelf liner cut to fit. Cheap and it cuts glare nicely!

Amazon.com - Duck Brand 1359572 Non-Adhesive Select Grip Easy Shelf Liner, 12-Inch x 20-Feet, Black - Cabinet Liners Amazon.com - Duck Brand 1359572 Non-Adhesive Select Grip Easy Shelf Liner, 12-Inch x 20-Feet, Black - Cabinet Liners

I cut a vertical seam at the middle of the airbag deployment zone. I doubt that something this flimsy will affect the airbag deployment, but with the seam it just gets pushed out of the way.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by sooznd
I refuse to get transition lenses-- had them ages ago and they went dark under fluorescent lighting. Maybe they are better these days?

A friend of mine found these cool looking sunglasses at Target which fit over her regular glasses. I went and tried them on-- and they worked on my glasses, too.... $14.97--less expensive than a dash mat.
Are these special sunglasses, or just sunglasses are big enough that fit over regular glasses and don't fall down? I'm intrigued, but I'm imagining having an experience like every time I go into a 3-D movie, where I'm struggling to balance the 3-D glasses over my own.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
the ones I tried were large enough to fit over regular glasses (regular plastic frame glasses- not wire rims). My friend wears them for kayaking- so they are secure enough for that. For $15 it's worth trying to see if they work for you.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:49 PM
DashMat | America's #1 Dashboard Covers
best dashmat i've used them on several of my cars already.
they have cut out for air bag so it function correctly.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenji815
DashMat | America's #1 Dashboard Covers
best dashmat i've used them on several of my cars already.
they have cut out for air bag so it function correctly.

I've used DashMats on every new car/truck I've owned for quite some time now. They're great. I don't even use the double-stick velcro tape. After about a week in the sun they form so tight to the dash they don't lift up anymore.

The Fit is going to get a charcoal colored one.

Old 10-06-2014, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
Timely topic. I refuse to ruin my dash with Velcro strips. Good the hear the Dashmat stays put without the strips. One would think they would design them to simply clip into the defroster vents.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
Looks like mine won't ship until early November (and it's "Cinder"). I'll let you know how it goes on the Fit after I've had it a bit. I share your disdain of tape on the dash.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Fitmo

I've used DashMats on every new car/truck I've owned for quite some time now. They're great. I don't even use the double-stick velcro tape. After about a week in the sun they form so tight to the dash they don't lift up anymore.

The Fit is going to get a charcoal colored one.
Hey, which dash mat do you use? Original? Velour? Faux-suede?
Thanks!

Old 10-22-2014, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
I got the original... which is/was the only one available for the 2015 Fit when I ordered it. It's been in the Fit a bit over a week or so and we've only had about one sunny day in that time. The sun helps it conform to the dash. That said, it sits on the dash just fine without using the included velcro tape.

Honestly, this isn't the best one I've had. The fit isn't as nice as previous ones. For example, the dart sewn in the material to make it curve over the speedometer area is too tight, creating a bit of a hump. It's also not as accurately cut to match the rest of the dash. I need to borrow a camera and send them some pictures.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:26 PM
m_x
And are the dashmats compatible with airbags? I didn't see anything on their website that said they were. I want to get one, but I not if they interfere with the airbag.

Any pics of the Cinder one?

Old 10-22-2014, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Fitmo
I got the original... which is/was the only one available for the 2015 Fit when I ordered it. It's been in the Fit a bit over a week or so and we've only had about one sunny day in that time. The sun helps it conform to the dash. That said, it sits on the dash just fine without using the included velcro tape.

Honestly, this isn't the best one I've had. The fit isn't as nice as previous ones. For example, the dart sewn in the material to make it curve over the speedometer area is too tight, creating a bit of a hump. It's also not as accurately cut to match the rest of the dash. I need to borrow a camera and send them some pictures.
That's too bad. Has their quality gone down then? Perhaps they just didn't get it right for the 2015. I have a 2011, and I really need to get something to cover up that huge dash!

Quick Reply: Does anyone use a dash mat/dash cover?