3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

$15 DIY Center Armrest

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 11:11 AM
$15 DIY Center Armrest

From the makers of $11 DIY Cargo Cover comes a new and even more hoopty innovation, the $15 DIY Center Armrest, from BlakeCo.

Until Honda get their sh*t together and bring the extended center console armrest over to the US, I wanted something that would extend the center console armrest up about 4".

My complete requirements were as follows:
  • At least 4" elevation lift
  • black
  • soft-touch
  • Rigid (no pillows - it must retain its shape and spring back)
  • The interior must not be damaged in any way
  • The center console must still be accessible for power/USB ports

Note that "attractive" was not a required quality.

It turned out to be harder than I had imagined to satisfy all the above requirements, but I'm happy to report that I've succeeded.

What you'll need
A 9"x6"x4" EVA Foam yoga block. I got this one off of amazon and it's great:
Amazon.com : Yoga Block 1 or 2 pack 4 in. x 6 in. x 9 in. Larger Size High Quality 4 colors by Bean Products™ - BlACK - SINGLE : Yoga Blanket : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : Yoga Block 1 or 2 pack 4 in. x 6 in. x 9 in. Larger Size High Quality 4 colors by Bean Products™ - BlACK - SINGLE : Yoga Blanket : Sports & Outdoors

A set of black nylon tie-down straps from pretty much any store.

Step 1:
Strap the damn yoga block onto the armrest.

Step 2:
cut excess material from straps and lightly burn-in the frayed edges to (CAUTION: do not light your car on fire during this step BlakeCo will not be held responsible or liable for any car fires that result)
Name:  HnK60mk.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  510.0 KB

Step 3:
You're done - seriously we're just strapping a yoga block to an armrest it's pretty self explanatory.
Name:  rSuIAPL.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  647.8 KB

It isn't pretty but it is extremely functional and affordable (it's kind of a microcosm to the macrocosm that is our cars).

Cheers!

-Blake

Old 10-05-2014, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member

Old 10-05-2014, 12:30 PM
wtf.........

Old 10-05-2014, 01:28 PM
haha I don't know what people were expecting for $15.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NotBlake
haha I don't know what people were expecting for $15.
A ten and a five, perhaps?

Old 10-05-2014, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
One thing your photo does do, it reminds me how much I like the EX fabric !

Old 10-05-2014, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmm, why not stack a bunch of used mcdonald's bags on top of the original armrest and wrap them tight with trash bags one can find behind a walmart.
Practical and free. Note, the attractiveness was not a requirement.

OP, good job on solving a problem. As long as you are happy with the solution. I doubt many people would be satisfied with the way it looks.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by john21031
Hmmm, why not stack a bunch of used mcdonald's bags on top of the original armrest and wrap them tight with trash bags one can find behind a walmart.
Practical and free. Note, the attractiveness was not a requirement.

OP, good job on solving a problem. As long as you are happy with the solution. I doubt many people would be satisfied with the way it looks.
My back won't let me not have an armrest, so it's a necessary evil. I can't wait for a proper center armrest extension to be sold in the US.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
a tissue box would be better and more functional

Old 10-05-2014, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
My back won't let me not have an armrest, so it's a necessary evil. I can't wait for a proper center armrest extension to be sold in the US.
Aside from the look, which is better than a tissue box, I understand your need for the elevation. My old 2008 Fit, had NO center armrest, and I hated it. If I recall, the second generation (2009-2013) had an armrest option.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by kenji815
wtf.........
I like the arm rest ...feels fine the way it is.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
Aside from the look, which is better than a tissue box, I understand your need for the elevation. My old 2008 Fit, had NO center armrest, and I hated it. If I recall, the second generation (2009-2013) had an armrest option.
No option. The arm rest was standard on sport. The center console was option which I bought. The JDM 1st gen fit had console option which can be installed on 07-08 here. My buddy has it on his 07. Console adds a lot of function and storage. I keep my wallet and registration in it.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:14 PM
hahah nice!

Old 10-05-2014, 06:06 PM
Anyone interested in this you might want to check out the earlier post https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...r-console.html

I built a similar armrest that I find quite functional and works well. Bottom line is I think most could build their own extended armrest to suit their needs for very little money. Most of the stuff needed can be found at a Walmart...

Old 10-05-2014, 10:35 PM
I just...

....For some reason I thought this would be something really basic (which it is) and really cool (I Thought I was gonna try this because the header seemed interesting, but not anymore)...Honestly...I felt like Macho Man when he was commentating back in the old days, "I AM AMAZED, CONFUSED, AND BLINDED BY SCIENCE!"- Macho Man R.I.P

Last edited by UnknownKing; 10-06-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:52 PM
Don't know why, but I looked at a box and found it hilarious :P

Old 10-06-2014, 09:04 AM
Nice find on the black yoga block. I added it to my Amazon wishlist so hopefully I get an armrest for Christmas.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
Wow........just wow. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

In all seriousness, that is a functional solution to a problem that Honda should have addressed. The armrest in it's stock form as I see it is completely unusable as a comfort feature. I bought the OEM center console for my 2012 Sport and, while it is really nice, I wish they would have made it at least an inch higher and just a little wider. It's still just a little too low and really only works for one elbow at a time.

For someone that can do some upholstery work it looks like you could take that yoga block or something similar, carve it to shape, cover it with fabric, use the same attachment method you came up with and have a good looking, functional armrest.

-Dustin

Old 01-02-2017, 09:51 PM
From the makers of $11 DIY Cargo Cover comes a new and even more hoopty innovation, the $15 DIY Center Armrest, from BlakeCo.

Until Honda get their sh*t together and bring the extended center console armrest over to the US, I wanted something that would extend the center console armrest up about 4".

My complete requirements were as follows:
  • At least 4" elevation lift
  • black
  • soft-touch
  • Rigid (no pillows - it must retain its shape and spring back)
  • The interior must not be damaged in any way
  • The center console must still be accessible for power/USB ports

Note that "attractive" was not a required quality.

It turned out to be harder than I had imagined to satisfy all the above requirements, but I'm happy to report that I've succeeded.

What you'll need
A 9"x6"x4" EVA Foam yoga block. I got this one off of amazon and it's great: Amazon.com : Yoga Block 1 or 2 pack 4 in. x 6 in. x 9 in. Larger Size High Quality 4 colors by Bean Products™ - BlACK - SINGLE : Yoga Blanket : Sports & Outdoors

A set of black nylon tie-down straps from pretty much any store.

Step 1:
Strap the damn yoga block onto the armrest.

Step 2:
cut excess material from straps and lightly burn-in the frayed edges to (CAUTION: do not light your car on fire during this step BlakeCo will not be held responsible or liable for any car fires that result)

Step 3:
You're done - seriously we're just strapping a yoga block to an armrest it's pretty self explanatory.

It isn't pretty but it is extremely functional and affordable (it's kind of a microcosm to the macrocosm that is our cars).

Cheers!

-Blake
thanks.... I made up one today and it services the purpose until we get an aftermarket drop in.

Thanks again....

Attached Thumbnails  DIY Center Armrest-img_8240.jpg  
Old 07-25-2020, 03:59 PM
Lightbulb Thanks! My back needed that!

Thanks. After more than my fair share of back injuries, having a functional armrest on both sides is not optional. I have been using a throw pillow that's roughly 3" thick and 9x17. I like that size, but it isn't quite thick enough.

BTW, the pad from a soft-side computer pouch/case Velcro-ed over the very hard left armrest works great. It can be easily detached and cleaned too, and if you sell the car just peel the Velcro off the Honda factory plastic torture device they call an armrest.

Quick Reply: $15 DIY Center Armrest