3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Dumb question about shift knobs

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Dumb question about shift knobs

Hi guys and gals,

I was thinking about getting a better shift knob for my new manual fit. The problem is that the leather boot has a silver colored plastic ring at the top of it which pops into 2 tabs coming out of the bottom of the stock shift knob. If I buy an aftermarket one, I am assuming it won't have these tabs coming out of the bottom so what holds the boot up to the knob?

I'm sure this is probably pretty obvious to most of you so I'll apologize in advance for my question

Old 10-11-2014, 06:26 PM
I took mine apart and looked at the same. The only option I saw was to take apart the center console to remove the entire boot and then clip the zip tie that holds the ring. A new zip tie holding the boot back on tighter would allow the new knob.

So I simply put the stock set up back for now. As well, the heavier knob I bought seemed to not allow the same shift action. I think I will look for an actual Honda part, maybe an overseas Fit option.

Let me know what you find too.

Thanks,

Jason

Old 10-11-2014, 07:52 PM
Upon looking further I found http://www.ebay.com/itm/370958984334?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT adapter that has the same thread. I'll still have to pull the boot off and re zip tie it to the adapter, but I think it should give a pretty neat finish. At $11 shipped I think I'm going to order one.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:19 AM
Where did you find it? Link?

Old 10-12-2014, 12:50 AM
I bought that off ebay, here are the installed pics.
Name:  IMG_2251.jpg
Views: 1956
Size:  27.4 KB
Name:  IMG_2250.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  21.6 KB
Name:  IMG_2249.jpg
Views: 1723
Size:  22.6 KB

Old 10-12-2014, 12:52 AM
Now that was my first setup, the shift knob is a oem rsx type s. Well the knob was used because i wanted to make sure i liked it first. So when i bought a new one it came with a plastic boot ring, and plastic spacer for the shift lever. Here are the installed pics of that.
Name:  0E6544F6-115C-4E72-ACC9-035BEFACB4B2.jpg
Views: 1762
Size:  24.1 KB
Name:  0C3AC15A-6C30-4800-A581-86E7ECA728B3.jpg
Views: 1691
Size:  19.4 KB
Name:  491E2807-0012-4467-A8A5-C36CD3F294AC.jpg
Views: 1685
Size:  26.2 KB
Name:  CD02E4B9-B6F7-47E3-975F-D92D5628D750.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  33.1 KB

Old 10-12-2014, 08:24 AM
That's a good look. How many panels did you have to remove to get to the boot? Any guidance on finding the part on eBay?

Thanks!

Jason

Old 10-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Macfolk
That's a good look. How many panels did you have to remove to get to the boot? Any guidance on finding the part on eBay?

Thanks!

Jason
You have to remove the whole armrest center console. Honda screwed it all together from the bottom. You can view the break down on your dealers parts page online. Here is the link to the boot ring on ebay. There are others to choose from im sure.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=370958984334

Old 10-12-2014, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Macfolk
Where did you find it? Link?
If you click the picture I posted, it is linked to the ebay page for it

Old 10-12-2014, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Apexracing
You have to remove the whole armrest center console. Honda screwed it all together from the bottom. You can view the break down on your dealers parts page online. Here is the link to the boot ring on ebay. There are others to choose from im sure.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=370958984334
Awesome, thanks for the installed pics, looks like that boot ring is just what I was looking for.

Do you happen to have a link to a parts break down? I can't seem to find one online.

thanks for your help!

Old 10-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Perfect. Thanks! Anyone have a suggested weight for the shifter?

Great forum,

Jason

Old 10-13-2014, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
Hi Apex,

Which setup did you end up going with? Your first pictures with the boot being flush with the bottom of the knob look awesome. The second setup with the exposed shift shaft looks more like something I would see in an older Italian car (nothing wrong with that).

Just curious if there was anything wrong with the initial setup? If it's basically plug and play, I'm jumping on that bandwagon right away. I'm fine taking the console out and doing that type of work. With only 1000 miles on the ODO I'm trying to not cut or modify in ways I can't return to stock. I've been down that dirty road in the past and don't want to repeat for a few years.

Guidance is greatly appreciated,

Lowell

Old 10-13-2014, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by CyclingFit
Hi Apex,

Which setup did you end up going with? Your first pictures with the boot being flush with the bottom of the knob look awesome. The second setup with the exposed shift shaft looks more like something I would see in an older Italian car (nothing wrong with that).

Just curious if there was anything wrong with the initial setup? If it's basically plug and play, I'm jumping on that bandwagon right away. I'm fine taking the console out and doing that type of work. With only 1000 miles on the ODO I'm trying to not cut or modify in ways I can't return to stock. I've been down that dirty road in the past and don't want to repeat for a few years.

Guidance is greatly appreciated,

Lowell
The shaft isn’t exposed on the second setup, thats a plastic cover that slides over the shift lever and clips into the boot ring. I like the idea of the first setup but the color of the boot ring was too far off of the shift knob. Plus the second setup allows more room to grip the shift knob for me. I’m sure it will change many times over the life of the car.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:23 AM
The shaft isn’t exposed on the second setup, thats a plastic cover that slides over the shift lever and clips into the boot ring. I like the idea of the first setup but the color of the boot ring was too far off of the shift knob. Plus the second setup allows more room to grip the shift knob for me. I’m sure it will change many times over the life of the car.
Can you tell me how to get the boot off? It doesn't seem to just pop off and I don't want to break anything trying. Thanks

Old 10-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by Downshift
Can you tell me how to get the boot off? It doesn't seem to just pop off and I don't want to break anything trying. Thanks
You have to take the whole center console out unfortunately.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:45 AM
You have to take the whole center console out unfortunately.
I was afraid of that...
Are there screws hiding it in or does it just pop out?

Old 10-14-2014, 11:54 AM
I was afraid of that...
Are there screws hiding it in or does it just pop out?
Its got a few screws and clips judging from the honda parts diagram. I havent had time to remove mine yet.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Its got a few screws and clips judging from the honda parts diagram. I havent had time to remove mine yet.
Any chance you can give me a link to that parts diagram? Google is turning up nothing for me. Thanks for all the help

Old 10-14-2014, 12:59 PM
Any chance you can give me a link to that parts diagram? Google is turning up nothing for me. Thanks for all the help
Honda online store : 2015 fit console (2) parts

Old 10-14-2014, 05:25 PM
Awesome, thanks for the help!

So I can confirm that you definitely need to remove the entire center console to get to the bottom of the boot, because I just did it!

Here's a quick summary of how to get the console off for anyone else who is struggling with this like I was:

First, there is a flathead screw at the front of the footwell on either side of the console. They thread into the center of an expanding push-pin. Take these out and the push-pins should basically fall right out.

Next, you'll have to remove the part of the dash-board right above the cup-holders. (the piece with the aux cable / usb inputs). There is a phillips screw on the driver's side of this piece. Remove it and with a bit of pulling the whole piece should pop right out. I left all of the wires attached and just pushed it off to the side.

Next, remove the screw at the front of the cupholder assembly and remove the cupholders. At the rear of the cupholders is a tiny little slot to get a screw driver in to pry, but I didn't even need it, once the screw was out it popped out easily.

Right above that is another screw holding the front of the center console to the car. Remove it.

Now go into the back seat and remove the entire back-plate that covers the back of the center console. I just got my fingers under the corners where it meets the floor and with a decent tug it popped right off. You'll see two screws at the bottom holding the rear of the center console to the floor. Remove those and the console is totally free.

There is an electrical connector back there that powers the cigarette lighter inside the armrest. You'll have to remove it to be able to get the console out of there. (it has a tab on it towards the front of the car, squeeze this in and it should come right off.)

The only other thing I took off was the little trim piece that pops in right under the hand brake. This allows the console to lift off without snagging on the hand brake.

This probably makes it sound worse then it is. I had to figure it out as I went, and I had the whole thing off in probably 15 minutes.

Quick Reply: Dumb question about shift knobs