3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Instructions for Easy Ground Point Near Fuse Box

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 03:53 PM
Instructions for Easy Ground Point Near Fuse Box

Here is an easy way to ground electrical accessories to the frame of the 3rd-gen Honda Fit. This ground point is right next to the fuse box.

Under the steering wheel is a large curved metal sheet with a hole that is the perfect size for a nut and bolt. I put two ring terminal connectors on this bolt so they are attached firmly in place. The ring terminals are crimped to 14 gauge automotive wire.

I used this ground point along with fuse box taps (add-a-circuit) to hardwire a dash cam and ambient LEDs.

Here is an Amazon for automotive ring terminal connectors 14 guage.
Amazon.com: Absolute USA RT1614B 16/14 Gauge Insulated Connectors Ring Terminal: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Absolute USA RT1614B 16/14 Gauge Insulated Connectors Ring Terminal: Car Electronics

I also highly recommend getting a pack of male and female wire crimp terminals. Crimp them on to your automotive wire and then you can just plug all the wires together, no soldering or electrical tape. They hold tight but you can unplug them if needed.
Female Male Fully Insulated Wire Crimp Terminalas Nylon Connectors Wiring Spade - - Amazon.com Female Male Fully Insulated Wire Crimp Terminalas Nylon Connectors Wiring Spade - - Amazon.com

In order to reveal this piece of sheet metal, you must remove the lower dashboard cover. It is really easy. Once it is removed it is much easier to work with the fuse box so it is a good idea to do this anyway if you are messing around with your fuse box. Here are the relevant sections of Honda's install instructions for their official interior illumination kit. Yank back on the weather stripping then pry out the left side of the dashboard with a plastic pry tool, then there is one bolt to remove to free the lower dash cover.

Last edited by simonx314; 01-17-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
Nice neat connection. It's always a challenge finding good grounding points in the sea of plastic in our Fits!

Old 01-17-2016, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
this is a good writeup.... could you also expand on the add a fuse size?...and where you got it ? i must admit i dont understand all the different fuse sizes

Old 01-18-2016, 03:42 PM
I got 2 fuse taps (add-a-circuit) from Amazon for less than $10. Here is a link:

Amazon.com : FAST Shipping* ADD CIRCUIT BLADE STYLE APS ATT LOW PROFILE MINI FUSETAP FUSE TAP + FUSE SET 5, 7.5, 10, 15, 20 AMPS : Car Electronics Amazon.com : FAST Shipping* ADD CIRCUIT BLADE STYLE APS ATT LOW PROFILE MINI FUSETAP FUSE TAP + FUSE SET 5, 7.5, 10, 15, 20 AMPS : Car Electronics

You can also get one from a local car parts store. The Amazon fuse taps come with spare fuses, otherwise you need to buy a fuse to use for the accessory you are adding to your car. Use the smallest amperage fuse that is greater or equal too the maximum amperage of your accessory. For example if you are adding LED lights that draw 1 amp, use a 2 amp fuse. If you are adding a dash cam that draws 3 amps, use a 5 amp fuse.

Here are the instructions from that Amazon link:

See my other thread for how I used three fuse taps to add LED lights on a switch, and a hardwired dash cam.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...de-always.html