2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Sub-Forum Threads discussing exterior modifications and JDM styling for the 2nd Gen GE8 Honda Fit

Auto-Folding Side Mirrors for the Jazz

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 04:09 PM
5 Year Member
Auto-Folding Side Mirrors for the Jazz

OK, so here we go with another mod:

The beauty of it is, that most of the wiring points can be found at the under dash fuse box. Simply wrap the wire around the right hand side (the protected side) of the fuse and it ends up protecting the module and being easy to wire up (the module's wires are in bold - refer to the module wiring picture to see a diagram - refer to the piccie of the fusebox layout to understand the fuses used):

Ground (Black) = into screw that holds the fuse box in place (check it's grounded first, the big silver ones that hold the whole fusebox into place are even though they look like they're screwing into polystyrene).
Perm +ve (Red) = into fuse 43
Acc +ve (Yellow) = into fuse 15
Door Unlock signal pulse (Green) = into fuse 49 (this fuse shows a 12V pulse on door unlock)
Door Lock signal pulse (Blue) = into fuse 35 (this fuse shows a 12V pulse on door lock)

...and the only 2 wires you need to cut are the yellow (extend) and grey (retract) ones going to and from the manual button (leaving 4 wire "ends" in total):
(button side) yellow extend = to manual switch on input on module (Grey)
(button side) grey retract= to manual switch off input on module (White)
(car side) yellow extend= to output for open on module (Brown)
(car side) grey retract= to output for close on module (Orange)

...and that's it. Modules are the 9 wire ones from eBay (all about £20-£30). Type "auto fold mirror module" into eBay and choose a Universal one. It will have it's own 15A fuse as well. I got one like this:

Took about a couple of hours to wire in correctly as I was checking everything with a multimeter as I went, but you could install it in less time once you know what to put where.

Also, the actual manual button still works as it should as the auto-module system gets disabled when the car is running (so you can still manually fold them in to squeeze into tight parking spaces and not worry about them extended automatically when you return to the car because you have pushed in the button (to retract) which has also disabled the system).

Overall very cheap and quick to install .

Last edited by Gaffer; 06-02-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
nice mod, how much this did unit cost?

Old 06-02-2013, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks. The module cost me £23 delivered.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
not bad, the jdm harness that does the same cost $100+

Old 06-03-2013, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
I'm a sucker for savings .

Just to clarify what the system does...

Car running regardless of switch position = module deactivated (meaning you retain full manual control when driving/parking)

Car off but manual switch off = again, module deactivated (e.g. can do this in winter if worried about ice)

Car off and manual switch on = ONLY time module does anything (so making sure manual switch is on and then getting out of the car (engine off) and it does its auto fold/unfold thing with door lock/unlock)

^^^ Or, put another way, make sure the switch is on "extend" intially. When you go to the car and unlock it, the wing mirrors will fold out.
When you start the car, the module deactivates.
Whilst driving, if you decide to fold in the mirrors, simply press the button as normal. The system will behave just as it did when stock because the car is on and running.
So if you want to park in a narrow gap, press the button to fold the wing mirrors in as you would normally.
Now get parked up, stop the engine and get out of the car. The beauty of the system is that because you have manually folded the mirrors in with the engine running, you have effectively manually disabled the module so not only will you be able to lock the car with no mirror change but you'll be able to unlock it and get in without the wing mirrors auto-folding out (because you disabled it manually when parking), thus avoiding damage to the mirrors in the tight space you've manoeuvered into.
Now start the car, drive into the open and manually extend the mirrors as normal.
NOW when you stop the car after the end of your journey, it will be off but you've just rearmed the module by manually extending the mirrors, so this time when you lock the car they WILL auto-fold in.

Modes:
Engine ON, Button on Retract = Module disarmed
Engine ON, Button on Extend = Module disarmed
Engine OFF, Button on Retract = Module disarmed
Engine OFF, Button on Extend = Module ARMED

Last edited by Gaffer; 06-07-2013 at 05:10 AM. Reason: added modes
Old 06-04-2013, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gaffer
Modules are the 9 wire ones from eBay (all about £20-£30). Type "auto fold mirror module" into eBay and choose a Universal one. It will have it's own 15A fuse as well. I got one like this:
Hello,

after reading your post, I try to look at both eBay UK and eBay US,
and I found this one, it is without any brand, but it looks very similar to your module:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Side-Rear-View-Mirror-Folding-System-Intelligent-/310638660615?pt=US_Rear_View_Monitors_Cams_Kits&hash=item485381cc07
Only $9.87 USD already include shipping cost !
That is so cheap !...

This is the pictures from that listing, are the wiring similar to yours ?

Last edited by BMW ALPINA; 06-04-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
wouldnt you need to have power folding mirrors in the first place for this to work?

Old 06-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator
U need them right

Old 06-04-2013, 12:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cfran55
wouldnt you need to have power folding mirrors in the first place for this to work?
The starter of this thread is from UK,
so the Auto Folding function and LED Blinker is standard on his car.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, you do need the folding mirrors in the first place (the module simply interacts with your existing motors).

WRT the module, yes that looks like the same, it's sold over here as a £9 module from a seller TomTop (but from China). However, the documentation looked sparse and there wasn't much info included so I wasn't 100% sure it had the same functions (one of those £9 ones from another seller stated explicitly that you'd lose the manual button function altogether, something which my one retains).
So as I had decent documentation and explicit instructions explaining the functions in detail, I thought that was worth the extra £14 or so (at least I was sure what I was getting).
It may be worth contacting the seller to confirm exactly what it does - if it is the same you have yourself a bargain .

Last edited by Gaffer; 06-05-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Mirrors blink when folding?

How did you get the mirrors to blink when they fold? I didn't see the LED wires listed in your wiring instructions.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
The mirrors blink when you lock the doors or unlock them (as standard in the UK).

The folding mechanism doesn't interfere with this, so they're simply behave as they normally do on lock/unlock with the mod.

Or, put it another way:
OEM (UK) = Blinking on lock/unlock, DOESN'T auto-fold/unfold
This mod = Blinking on lock/unlock, DOES auto-fold/unfold

^^^ They don't "blink when they fold" they "blink when they lock" as standard and this mod doesn't alter the locking mechanism in any way.

Last edited by Gaffer; 07-15-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:22 AM
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Gaffer
The mirrors blink when you lock the doors or unlock them (as standard in the UK).

The folding mechanism doesn't interfere with this, so they're simply behave as they normally do on lock/unlock with the mod.

Or, put it another way:
OEM (UK) = Blinking on lock/unlock, DOESN'T auto-fold/unfold
This mod = Blinking on lock/unlock, DOES auto-fold/unfold

^^^ They don't "blink when they fold" they "blink when they lock" as standard and this mod doesn't alter the locking mechanism in any way.
Thanks for the info! Also, what are you referring to when you say you wrapped the wires around the "protected" part of the fuses? Are your fuses different from US mini fuses?