3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

DIY: ACUITY Instruments Shift Boot Collar Upgrade Installation

Old 03-11-2018, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
DIY: ACUITY Instruments Shift Boot Collar Upgrade Installation

Have you ever changed the shift knob on your GK and realized, "Dang... I like the knob but now my shift boot is sagging..."
Well, now that dilemma can be solved with Acuity Instruments Shift Boot Collar Upgrade!!
This product removes the silver plastic snap ring that prevents the boot from sagging with a stock shift knob and replaces it with a beautiful piece of Stainless Steel or Anodized Black Aluminum collar ring that is reversible to accommodate different styles of shift knobs.

In this thread, I will be showing how to install the collar on 2015~ GK Fits.

WHATS IN THE BOX:

TOOLS REQUIRED:
-Phillips head screw driver
-Large flat head screw driver
-Trim removal tool (I used Acuity's Interior and Panel Removal Tools)
-Snippers
-10mm socket with 3/8" or 1/4" ratchet
-12mm open end wrench

PROCEDURE:

Step 1: Disconnect negative terminal on battery with 10mm just to be safe.

Step 2: Using the large flat head screw driver and trim removal tool remove the two plastic screws and clips on both sides of center console closer to the front of vehicle.

Step 3: Using Philips head screw driver remove screw above power outlet. Using the trim removal tool loosen the panel starting at the top. Once loose, detach the three connectors for power outlet, USB, and AUX. (This is on a LX trim. Yours may differ if you have EX or Sport trim) Remove two screws holding cup holder trim and console. Remove cup holder trim by pulling up.

Step 4: Remove the trim piece in front of parking brake handle using trim removal tool.

Step 5: Move to the back seat area and remove the cover on back side of console using trim removal tool. Disconnect the connector for power outlet, and remove two screws using Phillips head screw driver.

Step 6: Holding the silver ring below shift knob firmly, pull downward to unclip. Remove shift knob.

Step 7: Remove entire center console by lifting rear end up and sliding forward to clear parking brake handle.

Step 8: Turn center console upside down and remove the 8 screws holding shift boot trim piece.

Step 9: Flip the shift boot inside out, clip the ziptie using snipper, and remove silver ring.

Step 10: After determining which end of the Acuity collar you would like to use insert the collar with the side you want DOWN. Using supplied zipties, attach collar to shift boot making sure the zipties are in the grooves closer to the bottom. Clip ends off of zipties and flip the shift boot inside out.

ATTN: I ENDED UP NOT LIKING THE BULGE CREATED BY THE ZIPTIE HEADS WHEN FLIPPING THE BOOT, SO I OPTED TO TIGHTEN THE BOOT TO THE COLLAR USING A DURABLE RUBBER BAND LOOPED MULTIPLE TIMES. PERHAPS A PIECE OF YARN OR YO-YO STRING WOULD WORK AS WELL.

Step 11: In reverse order of removal of center console, re-install center console. Don't forget that battery and clock reset too!

Step 12: Attach binding nut before attaching shift knob. after determining position of shift knob use 12mm wrench to tighten the binding against shift knob. Pull up on collar to complete the installation. Enjoy your non-sagging shift boot!!

Old 03-11-2018, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks for the write-up, Scott! I've gone ahead and ordered the shift boot collar upgrade.

I can't wait to have a non-sagging shift boot again.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
minus removing the center console.... is there any other way/shortcut to accessing the boot for this install?

Old 06-23-2018, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
minus removing the center console.... is there any other way/shortcut to accessing the boot for this install?
No, you have to take it out to turn the boot inside out for installation.

It looks daunting but its honestly not a bad console to remove. I've done it at least twice now for my short shifter install and then for this, well worth the time and effort!

Old 11-06-2018, 08:13 PM
I just received this in the mail- along with my skunk2 knob and buddy club shifter,,,, all excited to post my how to, and someone beat me to it. Lol.