3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Dorman Seat Heaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
Dorman Seat Heaters

I bought a couple of sets of Dorman seat heaters. Installation looks fairly easy. Have any of you installed them? Mine are #628-040. I've looked at the online videos.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Old 02-07-2019, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
This is life changing! Great find. I wonder if it's worth the price to get factory buttons.

About $22 each and not sure what the backs of them would look like or that they would function correctly..

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-...le.html?PNC=34

Old 02-07-2019, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
I have installed something similar, in the past, in another car

At the time, we were in the process of doing a new seat wrap so it was not hard to install ... as the seat cover already was off

Strange enough .... 1 of mine just died within the last 24 hrs .... the led indicator turns on, but the element no longer gets hot

Old 02-07-2019, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
Yes. That's the kit I have - two of them, actually (two Fits). I made the mistake of buying that tool and the staples, so I guess I'll have extras.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CyclingFit
About $22 each and not sure what the backs of them would look like or that they would function correctly..

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-...le.html?PNC=34
That's the key. What do they look like, and where do they go? I've already filled the slots to the left of my steering wheel, but my son's car has room for them. If I were to order them, I would make sure I could return them, which is unlikely.

And you can add at least $10 shipping to the order.

EDIT: It looks like the switches go in the center console, but you would need part #12, as well.

The switches go on the rear of the console, near the lid to the storage compartment. I prefer the Dorman switches, on the side of the lower seat trim. There's less chance of turning them on by mistake.

Last edited by SilverEX15; 02-07-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member
In extremely cold weather I sit on a piece of scrap flexible aluminum insulation. Works fine; self help.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cgs2000
In extremely cold weather I sit on a piece of scrap flexible aluminum insulation. Works fine; self help.
I've never had seat heaters in a car, but people who have them, love them. The same applies to steering wheel heaters. All my previous cars seem to have had steering wheel heaters, but they worked only in the summer.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
My wife got me a heated seat pad for Christmas. Since I only need it in the winter, it's nice to be able to remove it.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
I prefer the Dorman switches, on the side of the lower seat trim. There's less chance of turning them on by mistake.
I do like the look of the Dorman switches and I like where they mount, assuming we have room to do it the way they do in the video. My concern is that my wife will leave it on and I'll drive around for two weeks with a warm passenger seat. Or I have to reach across each time to see if she turned it off. I would really like to hear that the switches return to center and remain off after the car is shutoff, but I doubt that it works that way.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
My (former) VW Golf had seat heaters. I used them twice in 15 years: once when we had a sudden freeze and I was not wearing a coat, the other time I had a bad cold (weakling!).
For a cold steering wheel a pair of light gloves did the trick.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:22 PM
Guys, I already did this, if you want to do it.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1299468&postcount=139

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/show...&postcount=161

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1306522&postcount=163

1 x 83407-T5R-A41ZA - LID, SWITCH *NH900L* (NEUTRAL BLACK)
1 x 35600-TF0-003 - SWITCH ASSY., R. HEATED SEAT
1 x 35650-TF0-003 - SWITCH ASSY., L. HEATED SEAT
32114-T5A-J00 Honda SUB-WIRE, CENTER CONSOLE
2 x Add a fuse Kits

And the wiring goes like this:

There is an OEM blue and white connector that hookup to the OEM switches. Each have 6 wires.

White connector from left to right, this one has one pin open

OEM Connector----Heated seat harness/SPST
Pink------- Red Wire on HH, and Pin 30 on SPST
Gray------ Positive for Button Illumination
Green----- Green Wire on Heated Harness
Black------ Ground for button Illumination
Black------ Black Wire on Heated Harness
White------ Pin 85 on SPST

***Pin 87 on SPDT to Blue Wire on HH
***Pin 86 on SPDT to Ground

Now the blue connector is slightly different but similar

Pink-------Red Wire on HH, and Pin 30 on SPST
Gray------Positive for Button Illumination
Red-------Green Wire on Heated Harness
Black------Ground for button Illumination
Black------Black Wire on Heated Harness
Blue------Pin 85 on SPST

***Pin 87 on SPDT to Blue Wire on HH
***Pin 86 on SPDT to Ground

Last edited by Bassguitarist1985; 02-08-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Guys, I already did this, if you want to do it.
Thanks for that! One concern is the cost. The switches alone cost more than the entire Dorman kit.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Thanks for that! One concern is the cost. The switches alone cost more than the entire Dorman kit.
Yea that and the garnish where the switches go and screws. Dont forget the two extra SPST relays to make the LEDs work properly. The button illumination ive tied into the under dash led lights that turn on with the headlights. Easy stuff.

Currently the kit is not in my 2017, but i want to reinstall them. Just need to muster up enough motivation to do it. If you do want to tackle it, ill make a video for you too.

Bass

Old 02-20-2019, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
Removing Upholstery from Front Seats

I brought my driver's seat into the house today to install seat heaters. I'm stalled. In removing the seat cushion cover, I came across at least three long metal wires (like coat hanger material) that holds the fabric in place. There is one on each side, running the length of the seat, about two inches from the edge. There is at least one more. That runs across the side at the mid point. I'd rather not damage anything, so if anyone knows how to remove them, I'd like to hear about it.

I'm going to search online, but I think someone on FitFreak will have an answer.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
do either of these 2 help?

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1415244
Front Seat-Back Cover Removal and Installation

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1415243
Front Seat Cushion Cover Removal and Installation

Old 02-21-2019, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member
Excellent! Where did that come from? Our library no longer has the Chilton's manual available.

I think snapping the new hog rings into place is going to be a challenge, but maybe not.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:43 AM
5 Year Member
Placement of the heating pad ruled out replacing several hog rings, and two were impossible to replace. I did get two in the seat and two in the backrest, though. Where the seat and seat back narrow, the heating pads are a bit too wide, and they go into that little valley where the hog rings go. The route the air bag wiring takes, and all the pieces of fabric it runs through, is confusing. I got mine together, but it's not the way it was from the factory. When I do my son's car, I'll take more pictures.

Today, I install the switch, the seat, and connect the wiring.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
counting on you, for awesome pics for the next install. would be a great/ultimate "how to" for those of us who want to install after market heated seats

Old 02-22-2019, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
counting on you, for awesome pics for the next install. would be a great/ultimate "how to" for those of us who want to install after market heated seats
I'm glad I'm doing my 2015 before doing my son's 2019. I'll take lots more pictures as I disassemble his. There is very little room in the trim panel of the seat for that small switch. I hope the 2019 has more room, but I doubt it. There is plenty of wire, so I could put the switch somewhere else.

I wish Honda had used Velcro, as so many other car makers do, instead of hog rings. Neither Velcro nor hog rings would work on the center of the cushion and seat back because the heating pad is there. I finished the wiring on and under the seat, and it's zip-tied in place. I'll put the seat back in the car today, but I doubt I'll connect it to 12v because I have other things to do.

I have a separate fuse panel under the dash, and it's switched with the ignition, so I think I'll use that for power, rather than tapping into the car's fuse panel.

Quick Reply: Dorman Seat Heaters