3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2019 lx vs sport manual?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
2019 lx vs sport manual?

I am thinking of trading in my 2013 auto for a 2019 manual, besides the body trim and wheels what differences is there between the sport and lx? Suspension etc.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Came from a '07 GD base auto to a `15 GK base LX manual. Still miss the GD (which still going strong and driven daily by our niece back on the islands), but the 6 spd. remains a joy to drive over an auto CVT.
If you find one, get it. GK may be the last North American Fit equipped with a manual.
Sport looks sharp with the additional body trim. That would be my choice as fewer of them are being made.
Happy shopping n post your potential purchase.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 03-22-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
I believe the Sport gets 16" black wheels and a small bump in horsepower, maybe 10 or so over the base model? Not much that you'd notice, but it may just come down to what you prefer the looks and price of! Good luck!

CORRECTION on HP:
Allow me to post the power specs:
MT: 130 @ 6600 CVT: 128 @ 6600
Engine output is the same for all models depending on tranny.
Thanks - rttby

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 03-22-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks.
I know about the wheels, I was wondering about the difference in the suspension, but now I did some research and noticed the 2019 fits have direct fuel injection which maybe a deal breaker.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lewjac3
Thanks.
I know about the wheels, I was wondering about the difference in the suspension, but now I did some research and noticed the 2019 fits have direct fuel injection which maybe a deal breaker.
Yes, prepare for carbon build-up unless you want catch cans or outright pcv delete. My suspension is boaty after only 3 years and 84k miles but still gets the job done. 2015 base here. The engines in these fits are actually very well made. Early 2015's had injectors throwing occasional misfires but honda fixed that with a redesign and new fuel pipe. Also you might be getting raspy rattles on cold startups (well discussed on this forum) but the VTC was redesigned as well... so go ahead and buy your problem-free 2019 model year. Since you are getting the manual, get ready for high rpm at hwy speeds in 6th gear. I owned the 6MT for 3 years and I have the CVT now ... and I've got to tell you .... I love the CVT and I was a die hard fan of the manual.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Suspension-wise, I really don't think the Sport model gets anything different: similar to how in the previous model years the EX and EX-L models did not get suspension upgrades.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
ThanksQuote. .........but now I did some research and noticed the 2019 fits have direct fuel injection which maybe a deal breaker.
Starting in 2015 ALL Fits have had direct injection. Other than the early problems around 2015 mentioned by CammanderSlug the engines have been remarkably problem free..

Old 03-22-2019, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply,
Are you experiencing problems with carbon buildup on you 2015? You have the lx do you know if the sport has different suspension? I am happy with my 2013 sport as far as suspension.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
Lx

I usually detest plastic wheel covers over poorly painted factory steel wheels. Anything to avoid those.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rprpclark
I usually detest plastic wheel covers over poorly painted factory steel wheels. Anything to avoid those.
That doesn't bother me, in fact I like that it has 15" tires that are cheaper to replace.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
I do prefer a wheel with taller sidewalls. Rides a little better and more forgiving of potholes. But buying with factory aluminum wheels is worth it to me.
I don’t care about a tiny tweak in handling.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply,
Are you experiencing problems with carbon buildup on you 2015?
I forgot the post but someone had the check engine light come on on this forum and ultimately replaced injectors to get it fixed himself. He scoped out the intake and yes, there was carbon build up but it did not seem to be the cause of misfires during diagnosis. He had purchased the car used with over 60k miles. I really think this engine works well even with the carbon buildup on the intake valves.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply,
Are you experiencing problems with carbon buildup on you 2015? You have the lx do you know if the sport has different suspension? I am happy with my 2013 sport as far as suspension.
Originally Posted by woof
Starting in 2015 ALL Fits have had direct injection. Other than the early problems around 2015 mentioned by CammanderSlug the engines have been remarkably problem free..
Originally Posted by CommanderSlug
I forgot the post but someone had the check engine light come on on this forum and ultimately replaced injectors to get it fixed himself. He scoped out the intake and yes, there was carbon build up but it did not seem to be the cause of misfires during diagnosis. He had purchased the car used with over 60k miles. I really think this engine works well even with the carbon buildup on the intake valves.
1) Is there a thread devoted to carbon buildup in the third generation Fits?

2) What is the solution for the carbon buildup (besides oil cans and PCV disconnect)?

3) Is carbon buildup on these engines something that you can avoid if you regularly run through the gears at redline (the famous "Italian Tune-Up")?

I made a point of replacing my '08 Fit with a new '13 Fit because I did not want direct injection. While I haven't followed the issue recently, I am not aware that any manufacturer using direct injection has resolved the carbon buildup problem. Toyota thought they were going to get around it in the FR-S by using a dual injection system (direct injection and port injection). As far as I know, that's still as dumb an idea as it sounds.

Old 03-24-2019, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member
I can pitch in on 2 and 3: surgery is a recommended solution for carbon build up aka nutshells/walnut shells blast. The italian tuneup will simply not fix anything on a fundamental level; carbon will build up just the same but maybe it will help out with preventing larger chunks from forming on the valves.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
1) Is there a thread devoted to carbon buildup in the third generation Fits?.
Yes, it's over in the special section where other fanciful topics being discussed are "Care and feeding of your unicorn" and "How big is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?". There are a lot of Fits out there with mileage steadily rising and thus far virtually no reports of carbon buildup being a problem so far on the Fits. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go feed my unicorn.

2) What is the solution for the carbon buildup (besides oil cans and PCV disconnect)?
As CommanderSlug mentions recognize that at some point in time you might need to get the walnut shell blasting done to clean the valves off if the valve buildup becomes a problem.

3) Is carbon buildup on these engines something that you can avoid if you regularly run through the gears at redline (the famous "Italian Tune-Up")? .
It has been suggested that highway driving which results in the engine - and valves - running hotter will reduce carbon build up. Conversely a lot of slow speed city driving will probably increase it. I wouldn't worry about it. You drive the way you have to and simply accept the fact that if carbon becomes a problem, like any other car problem, you'll deal with it when - and if - it happens.

Next time you're at your dealership ask the service people how many cases of carboned up valves which need action they are seeing on Fit engines.

Last edited by woof; 03-24-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
Talking

Yes, it's over in the special section where other fanciful topics being discussed are "Care and feeding of your unicorn" and "How big is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?".
I'm dying of laughter!

Old 03-24-2019, 04:43 PM
Carbon buildup

Yes, it's over in the special section where other fanciful topics being discussed are "Care and feeding of your unicorn" and "How big is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?". There are a lot of Fits out there with mileage steadily rising and thus far virtually no reports of carbon buildup being a problem so far on the Fits. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go feed my unicorn.

As CommanderSlug mentions recognize that at some point in time you might need to get the walnut shell blasting done to clean the valves off if the valve buildup becomes a problem.

It has been suggested that highway driving which results in the engine - and valves - running hotter will reduce carbon build up. Conversely a lot of slow speed city driving will probably increase it. I wouldn't worry about it. You drive the way you have to and simply accept the fact that if carbon becomes a problem, like any other car problem, you'll deal with it when - and if - it happens.

Next time you're at your dealership ask the service people how many cases of carboned up valves which need action they are seeing on Fit engines.
Recently purchased a 19 EX-L, traded a 16, have asked my good friend, who happens to be the Service Manager of my dealership, about this issue, he indicated that the Fits don't seem to have any real issues with this (or anything else) He recommends using Toptier fuels exclusively, which I have done for years (primarily use Shell or Sunoco 87) That, a good synthetic oil and driving the car on the highway seems to make carbon deposits a non-issue with Fits

Old 03-24-2019, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CommanderSlug
I'm dying of laughter!
Ditto on Woof's comment. To sum up, the Fit Sport is an EX w/o the sunroof and black wheels (alloy?), no hp increase, no suspension improvements. It is a trim package only. Go to the Honda website to get details. Seen some speculation on the 2020 … 1 liter turbo engine … YUCK!

Old 03-25-2019, 03:09 PM
Fit Sport black lig nuts?

Would anyone here know if the 2019 Fit Sport All Black Wheels have black-colored lug nuts as well or just the regular gray one?

Old 03-25-2019, 04:12 PM
Lug nuts

Originally Posted by Battousai
Would anyone here know if the 2019 Fit Sport All Black Wheels have black-colored lug nuts as well or just the regular gray one?
Just checked the Honda "Build your Fit" page, apparently the black wheels that come as standard equipment on the Sport come with silver lugs, the optional black ($1100) wheels, that are a different pattern, are shown with black lug nuts.
You can always replace the silver with black, easily obtainable from the dealer or Amazon/online suppliers like H&A who have discounted Honda accessories.

Quick Reply: 2019 lx vs sport manual?