3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Is my 2016 Honda fit totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 09:53 PM
Is my 2016 Honda fit totaled?

I was involved in a car accident yesterday. Since it is labor day weekend I cannot get an estimate from the shop until tuesday and I am dying with anxiety to know if my fit is totaled. It is a 2016 honda fit with 55k miles. Pics attached of damage. Please let me know what you think!

Old 08-30-2019, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator
looks like airbags didnt deploy. decent chance it won't be totalled. wait til they check frame damage.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
I hope you're OK!

Looks like the wheels are all intact, which is a good sign....less front end reworking to be done. I also vote not totaled.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
If the air bags didn’t deploy then my vote is not totaled.

Old 08-31-2019, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
I also think it depends on frame damage. Or perhaps some none-visible damage.
But on outwards looks, it looks salvageable, I'd bet on NOT totaled.

Old 08-31-2019, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by bargainguy
I hope you're OK!

Looks like the wheels are all intact, which is a good sign....less front end reworking to be done. I also vote not totaled.
Thank you! Luckily neither I nor the other driver were injured. You are all correct, air bags did NOT deploy. I'm attaching a couple extra images - there's a ding on the back passenger side door too. This has been reassuring - I have to wait till tuesday to know more since this happened just before the long weekend. Thank you for the responses!

Old 08-31-2019, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
I had a large amount of bricks fall from the apartment building (10 and 11 floors) during a wind and rain storm back in April. All body damage but not as sever as the front end damage and obvious mechanical problems you may have.. My Fit is a 2015 EX, Building management insurance paid the total nut, over $7,400 No one mentioned totaling it out.

Old 08-31-2019, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
Glad you're OK!

Hate to be the bearer of possibly bad news otherwise, but we've been seeing problem areas in the 2015-6 Fits especially, and also in the newer models. It doesn't hurt to be aware of those as you consider whether to rebuild or consider another vehicle. Search this subforum for details.

The fuel injector/rail assembly, starters (esp. on pushbutton models), and VTC actuators are all problem areas.

Injectors: 2015 design was faulty and was redesigned for 2016, but the designed remained for several thousand early 2016's. What that means: If your injector/rail assembly went south under warranty, it was replaced, but it if went outside warranty, Honda could not be counted on toward any goodwill toward repair. Problem is, you can't just replace one injector if it goes - have to purchase in flow-matched quads. $1500 in parts alone, $2-3K repairs not uncommon. Some of the later than 2016 models are having this issue also, so we all wonder if the redesign did any good.

Starter: On the EX / EX-L models with pushbutton start; something about that design that's harder on the starter. Many times failing well before warranty expiration, but often at 40-50K as well. Much cheaper than the injectors to replace, but still several hundred dollars.

VTC actuator: Grinding noise at cold startup is what you'll hear. Supposedly not injurious to the engine, but many people will not want to live with that noise.

First two major issues, third more annoying. Keep all this in mind as you consider what to do.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
My 2018 FIt suffered almost identical damage from a deer strike at 70 mph on a rural interstate in western VA: hood, fender bumper, cross brace and lots of miscellaneous plastic trim pieces. The radiator was punctured and lost coolant, so the car could not be driven and my insurer authorized a two to a junkyard. The A/C condenser was bent but did not lost refrigerant, but was replaced. I also had minor damage to both passenger side doors.

The GEICO adjuster came out to the yard and wrote up an estimate of $5500, plus authorized towing to a body shop 50 miles away in Christiansburg. (Duncan, I recommend them). The total cost came out about $500 higher. The adjuster told me it was nowhere near a total. You would need a bent frame or deployed airbags to get into that territory.

I saw the car mid-repair in the yard, and basically everything damaged was a bolt-on piece that could be removed. The base frame did not appear to be compromised, at all.

If your vehicle value is near about $7000, you may be in total territory, but in a 2018 with low miles, I was not.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:43 AM
5 Year Member
was the radiator damaged ? if you can drive it , how does the steering feel ? it looks like you may have avoided any damage to the frame that would
affect the alignment , still , the estimate is probably up there

Old 09-02-2019, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member
Glad to hear that you were not injured, still those kinds of accidents are never fun. It's almost Tuesday and you'll know for sure tomorrow. I tend to agree with the others here that more likely than not it not totaled.

One thing to add some levity to this serious discussion... are you a used car salesperson? The reason I asked is that you stated "there's a ding on the back passenger side door too". A used car salesperson would say it's a ding, but that is anything but one. That's some major ding you have there. Keep on smiling Noreen, your Fit can be fixed/replaced, but you can't.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:08 PM
Not totaled - but I bet about $7K in damage.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
Texas Standards

Originally Posted by Rooster
A used car salesperson would say it's a ding, but that is anything but one.
I think in Texas that's considered a ding. But in the other US states....that's a major dent.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:05 AM
you should be ok , i had a accident that was very similar they replaced the front bumper , hood and front wind shield since it had a small crack from the hood hitting against it.no internal damage. all in all they assessed the damage at about 7,000 bucks with labor work and all the pieces , just make sure who ever fixes it does a good job. and does not miss anything can give problems in the future .

Last edited by ICRUISE; 01-24-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
op has not bothered to update us since aug of last year

this thread sucks

Old 01-24-2020, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
That's fairly typical from these kinds of new posters. They make a single post about their particular problem wanting immediate help or information. They quickly disappear giving no followup, never to be heard from again. I think newbies shouldn't be allowed to create new threads for a certain period of time. That might discourage them from being able to waste people's time. They contribute nothing to the board as it is.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by woof
That's fairly typical from these kinds of new posters. They make a single post about their particular problem wanting immediate help or information. They quickly disappear giving no followup, never to be heard from again. I think newbies shouldn't be allowed to create new threads for a certain period of time. That might discourage them from being able to waste people's time. They contribute nothing to the board as it is.
I like your thinking. Our other board has a Newbies - No Flaming Allowed section to post this 1-off asks.

Old 01-24-2020, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
I think newbies shouldn't be allowed to create new threads for a certain period of time.
moderators, lets make this happen

They contribute nothing to the board as it is.
AMEN

Old 01-24-2020, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
moderators, lets make this happen
Good luck. It doesnt seem like things are taken care of much around here. Just look in the GD sections and see all the GE/GK threads that clutter them up.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
What's a cooling off period going to solve? They'll just wait for cooling period, post and then disappear... Even the number of posts to post in the for sale section is circumvented by posting, "hey cool car, wow" in 20 threads...

Quick Reply: Is my 2016 Honda fit totaled?