3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Midas put 5w20 instead of 0w20

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2019, 03:34 PM
Midas put 5w20 instead of 0w20

So I just got my oil change done at my usual mechanic place. It's a Midas chain, but we know the owners and they've done us right for many years. I drove home, looked at the report and it said they used 5w20 instead of 0w20. Is this something I should be concerned about or will it be fine? I'm still technically under warranty so that's part of my concern. I called over to check but their front desk lady doesn't know anything about cars and fed me a line of "you asked for synthetic and it's very good for your car". Any advice?

Old 11-26-2019, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
5W20 should be fine for one oil change cycle. It will be a little thicker on start up but when warmed up i don't believe there's any difference between the two oils. In future you will have to make it very clear that you want 0W20 and if they can't comply you'll have to look for another place to get it changed. Let's see what others have to say about this.

Last edited by woof; 11-26-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to warm it up a little more. I'm already tempted not to go back next time and just invest in a floor jack and some tools. I'm driving like 20k miles a year right now so it might be a significant savings to do so.

Old 11-26-2019, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
what woof says is correct. once warmed up, shouldnt be a diff

and yes, get a jack and diy. its the way to go! look up "fumoto valve", this is a neat way to speed up oil changes. I cant imagine living without it. I love doing my oil changes, tools free (minus the jack/jack stands part)

Old 11-26-2019, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
For oil changes, I just put mine on ramps.

Old 11-26-2019, 07:40 PM
@2Rismo2 Hmm good point, that might a cheaper way to start too. Thanks!

Old 11-26-2019, 10:26 PM
I think you should go back and make them make it right. There's no reason to be driving around with the wrong weight oil when it's easily remedied. It's not about whether it's synthetic and 'good for your car.' It's not the oil Honda requires. 5W20 isn't a listed option.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
Why would an independent service station care about what Honda specifies? They put in what ever the customer wants. If you want 20W50 then yup they'll put that in your Fit. Now in this case it's not clear to me what the car owner specified. The service person stated that he simply asked for "synthetic". I'm not seeing any indication that he specifically asked for 0W20. Only the OP can clarify what he asked for and if he was specific about the grade. If it was left open for Midas to choose a grade then it's hard to fault them.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:15 PM
I did specifically say 0w20 synthetic when I handed over the keys. Whether or not "synthetic oil good for car" lady understood that I was specifying that.....well clearly she didn't.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:19 PM
So if he just said 'oil' they can put any oil in? I think that unless he specified something other than what the manufacturer requires (not recommends- Honda specifies 0W20)- it should be what is specified.

Old 11-27-2019, 01:27 AM
5 Year Member
I'll admit I'm making the assumption that people in businesses that change the oil in your car can read- but the oil filler caps on late model Hondas say what weight oil is required for the car. I do have a GE8, but my oil filler cap says 0/20 weight oil on the cap. Our 2012 Accord has the required weight oil on it's cap too. If a business wants to deviate from what the factory says should be run in your car, they should get your permission first,

As has already been stated here on this post a couple of times- you won't have any problems in running the 5/20 weight oil for this oil change.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:09 AM
Honda specifies 5W20 or 5W30 (and 10W30!) in warm climates like India/Africa/South America in the manual.

Old 11-27-2019, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 56chevydan
I'll admit I'm making the assumption that people in businesses that change the oil in your car can read- but the oil filler caps on late model Hondas say what weight oil is required for the car. I do have a GE8, but my oil filler cap says 0/20 weight oil on the cap. Our 2012 Accord has the required weight oil on it's cap too. If a business wants to deviate from what the factory says should be run in your car, they should get your permission first,
Actually, that's a good point. Oil filler caps are clearly labelled with the required oil grade. I remember seeing mine just a couple days ago and I was impressed with how clearly the 0W20 was marked on the cap. It makes their use of 5W20 inexcusable (assuming your year/model of Fit is so marked.)

Old 11-27-2019, 10:52 AM
I completely agree with the cap - I wonder if: (1) they're using 5W20 b/c it's cheaper, (2) their lookup table using VIN is wrong and lists 5W20 instead, (3) low skills translate to not caring.

Ask for a free oil change coupon - and talk to the Manager.

Old 11-27-2019, 11:08 AM
My 2016 Fit manual (I live in the US) says 0W20 for all temperature ranges. No other viscosity is listed.

Old 11-27-2019, 11:32 AM
Honestly the sooner you start doing it your self the more peace of mind you'll have. Additionally, i'd bite the bullet on this one and change it to 0w20 asap.

Old 11-27-2019, 01:50 PM
Update

So I didn't have time to run back to bug Midas about this one, I have to work for the next 3 days. Nothing felt off, mpg took an expected hit before the oil really warmed up, but on the highway I was hitting 40mpg as per usual. Cold start felt normal but I'm not as big on leaving 5w20 in through the winter, we still get some cold spurts here in Jersey this time of year. I might run over this Saturday and talk to the manager.

Old 11-27-2019, 02:06 PM
Most engine wear happens at start-up and during the first few minutes after a cold start. Having a thicker oil in cold weather would exacerbate this issue (granted, no problems would arise until long after the oil is switched.) Plus, if it's a shop you go to a lot, chances are you've built up the goodwill to have the issue examined.

There is literally no reason for them to not swap your oil out; using the correct oil is part of the job. But the sooner you make it back, the easier time you will have convincing them.

Old 11-29-2019, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
If they can make that mistake just imagine what else they can screw up.
That's why I change my own oil and do anything else I'm able to do.

On a trip I took my car to Walmart to get a tire fixed. The kid started the job by looking at his phone for 10 minutes.
Then he placed the jack in the wrong place.

I don't eat out in restaurants much, either. I've seen too many sick restaurant workers riding the bus because they can't afford to take a sick day.

Old 11-29-2019, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
Do I believe the 5w20 oil would do any damage for a cycle?
No. Probably not. BUT....
You're paying for an Oil Change. As a paying customer, I think you have the reasonable expectation that the primary recommended weight oil would be used. If there is any question, it should be discussed with you BEFORE the oil is poured into your engine. And if the shop is doing their job right, they should know the recommended weight is 0w20.

There is no reason this needs to be ugly or be uncivil. Especially if you have a long standing working relationship with the shop and the owners.
I would very calmly explain that the wrong weight oil was used, and that you would like the recommended weight oil used. Say exactly what you posted, that the vehicle is still under warranty and you would like exactly the recommended weight oil used.
If the shop is supportive of their customer, IMO they should be willing to make it right. Hopefully keeping you as a potential customer beyond this oil change will be of more value to them, than the cost of redoing the Oil Change.

If they refuse to do so?
I'd still remain calm. Then decide whether it's worth it to you to pay someone else to do it again, stay with the oil in the vehicle OR take the opportunity to do it yourself.

It's totally worthless beyond being my opinion, but the shop should be willing to make you happy about your purchase and usage of their services. That is make it right. Even if it is arguable that it is really necessary to do so.
IMO it wasn't your mistake that you forgot to clarify what weight oil you wanted. It's still the shops mistake that they didn't use the PRIMARY recommended weight oil for the vehicle.
Also you asking for synthetic isn't really the issue either as I believe 0W20 is synthetic. In other words, you may of asked for synthetic, but you were expecting synthetic in the proper 0w20 weight grade.

Quick Reply: Midas put 5w20 instead of 0w20