3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Do's and don'ts with a CVT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Is it the hill start assist kicking in?
Do they have that on the CVT equipped Fits? I have no idea (manual, here). Only experience I've had with a CVT was driving a rental Nissan Versa when I needed a new car, and I did not care for the feeling at all. But, on the other hand, my son bought himself a '19 Civic Sport w/ CVT, he took me for a ride, it's nice, so.....Seems autos are the future for internal combustion engines Hill start assist can be useful if one drives hilly cities/towns and isn't well versed in manuals, but never thought they'd put it on an automatic...what do I know

Old 05-14-2020, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
I understand there is hill start assist for the MT, but not sure for the AT.

I'm surprised nobody has experienced this issue. I've taken care of geared transmissions for over 2 decades, this is the first CVT. And I'm not sure if I like it.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:43 AM
5 Year Member
Here's a thought: Do you have ECO on or off?

ECO blunts throttle response. If you have it on - as I do - the throttle is less aggressive and not as touchy. Might be the difference to a soft hill start.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
I have always had the ECO button on since my wife mostly drive it.

I will try with the ECO button off today. thanks for the tip!

Old 05-14-2020, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
Yes hill start assist is included on the CVTs too. It's in the manual

My 2004 4Runner had a hill start assist feature as well. You could take your foot off the brake and the vehicle would hold itself on the hill for a few seconds.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by t-rd
I understand there is hill start assist for the MT, but not sure for the AT.

I'm surprised nobody has experienced this issue. I've taken care of geared transmissions for over 2 decades, this is the first CVT. And I'm not sure if I like it.
they all have hill Assistance. mt/at.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
I have the CVT but never knew the Fit had auto hill assist since Houston is flatter than the ocean.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
For the record, this problem went away after I took eco mode off, drove for a while, then put eco mode back on. I can hear the rear brakes engaged now whenever I let go of gas pedal while transitioning to the brake pedal. I cannot say what happened really. I did also change oil a few months back, while the front end was on jack stands, I started the car and it didn't like that and turned on DTC lights on the dash for electric power steering and traction control. But it seemed to have corrected itself. I could do anything with a geared trans on jack stands even gas it with wheel spinning in the air. But this car with CVT doesn't like that at all.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:34 PM
5 Year Member
For the record, this problem went away after I took eco mode off, drove for a while, then put eco mode back on. I can hear the rear brakes engaged now whenever I let go of gas pedal while transitioning to the brake pedal. I cannot say what happened really. I did also change oil a few months back, while the front end was on jack stands, I started the car and it didn't like that and turned on DTC lights on the dash for electric power steering and traction control. But it seemed to have corrected itself. I could do anything with a geared trans on jack stands even gas it with wheel spinning in the air. But this car with CVT doesn't like that at all.
What? Rear brakes engage when you let off the gas? I have never heard this would occur in a petro engine car. The car does not coast with the CVT engaged when you release the gas?

Last edited by wasserball; 07-09-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:56 PM
5 Year Member
ONLY when on an uphill. That's what hill assist is, it prevents the car from sliding back down while transitioning from brake to gas pedal. Less strain on the transmission also. I hear the engaged rear drums. At least in the USA there is. If you are in Europe since you call it a "petro engine" car, then I'm not sure if there is such feature.

Last edited by t-rd; 07-09-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
ONLY when on an uphill. That's what hill assist is, it prevents the car from sliding back down while transitioning from brake to gas pedal. Less strain on the transmission also. I hear the engaged rear drums. At least in the USA there is. If you are in Europe since you call it a "petro engine" car, then I'm not sure if there is such feature.
Friendswood, TX is still in the States. petro just came out. Gas could mean fart.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:47 PM
Do MT fits even have an eco button? Mine doesn't.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:54 AM
Originally Posted by knope
Do MT fits even have an eco button? Mine doesn't.
No they don't. ECO-button is only with CVT.

Old 08-14-2020, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
I've noticed it on my 2015 LX. I'm trying to move my muscle memory into my brain-centered verbal memory here, and there is a delay with that too. OK. With the car in park and the p-brake engaged what do my muscles do without involving my brain's verbosity? My hand turns the key which starts the engine. Then with my foot still on the brake I, by I I mean my muscles, I release the p-brake and with no delay I move the shift lever from P to D (usually, sometimes P to R but assuming P to D) and then I hear or feel zrzrzr for a second or 2, then blunk – and the car is ready for me to step on the accelerator pedal so that the engine can move it froward. Not sure exactly how long it is that I hear zrzrzr but I think it about 1 second, maybe 2. Here is the important part: if I take my right foot off of the brake pedal and put it on the accel pedal, while I'm still hearing zrzrzr, and before I here blunk, the engine revs but it doesn't move the car forward right away. The car waits until the blunk happens, before it starts moving forward. Now Zazu's question was: should I wait until I hear blunk before stepping on the accel pedal. Good question I have no idea. However I doubt you need to wait. Here is why I think that: moving from P to D connects the engine to the rest of the drive train, starting at the CVT. All that putting foot on accel pedal does is increase the engine's rpm. All that taking your foot off the brake pedal does is it stop preventing the car from moving; the instead of the transmission sending power through the torque converter and then through the cvt's 2 shafts and then to the differential and then the axels and the wheels. Let's just call that sending power to the wheels. All that taking you foot off the brake does is send power to the wheels, instead of just turning the torque converter and heating it up. So let's say your way of moving forward on a level service is simply taking your foot off of the brake. The fact that you haven't heard blunk yet means the wheels won't go forward. Whether the blunk is something the torque converter does, or whether it means that before you hear the blunk the input pulley is not yet connecting to the output pulley and turning it, the only difference between leaving your foot on the brake and taking it off, is whether the power is turning the wheels, or not. I've lost my train of thought. But yes sometimes I take my foot off the brake before I hear the blunk, and it has no effect on how long I have to wait for the blunk.If in addition to taking my foot off the brake, I also put it on the accel pedal, the same thing happens, the car does not move forward until I hear the blunk. My guess is that the same amount of wear is happening inside the transmission whether your foot is on the brake pedal or off, but that pressing on the accel pedal and increasing engin rpms, cause more wear. on whatever it is that is slipping, instead of engaging, inside the transmission. What I personally tend to do is take my foot off of the brake, but wait until I hear the blunk befor I press on the accel. There is no point on putting my foot on the accel if all it is going to do is increase the engine rpm's and not increase the wheel rpm's, so that's what I do. I tend to doubt that simply taking my foot off of the brake is going to increase rate of wear, or do harm.Umm, I hope this helps. I'm sure it doesn't' but that's what everyone says when in all probability it will not help.

This is my first car with an automatic transmission. I think "regular" automatics do the same thing. However the only cars I have driven with automatic transmissions are other people's cars and since they weren't my car, I apologize for having to say that it appears that maybe I didn't give a damn what happened to them and I didn't pay close attention to what their transmissions were doing. But i think they were doing the same thing, going zrzrzr for a second, before going blunk That is what I seem to recall. Sometimes the same car would make a short zrzrzr, and sometimes it would make a longer zrzrzr. I could be wrong but I seem to remember all of them going zrzrzr for at least a little while before actually connecting the wheels to the engine.I think that must be something that automatics do.

I think maybe the owners manual doesn't say anything about this. What it does say is do not shift from a forward gear, D, S, or L, to the reverse gear, while the car is moving. I think it says the same thing about R to DSL, but I'm not sure But it is ok to shift from N to D, or D to N, while the car is moving. Not sure about N to R or R to N, but I don't do it. I've gotten in the habit of not doing it. You can't switch from P to D while the car is moving. The car won't be moving when it is in park. It is possible to switch form N to D while the car is moving, the car could be rolling while in N. So I'm thinking it is ok to shift from N to D while the car is rolling, it is probably ok to switch from park to D, and then take you foot off of the brake right away and let the car roll, or be powered, whichever the transmission is ready to do.

Last edited by nomenclator; 08-17-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:25 AM
Do's and don'ts with a CVT?

What are the do's and don'ts with a CVT?
I recently got a MkII CVT, my first auto and seeing you guys in the states only got the CVT with the MkIII I thought I better ask this question in this section.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:26 AM
The Gen 2 CVT has a torque converter not a clutch like the Gen 1 which can wear out so is it necessary to switch into neutral when stopped at traffic lights, some people say no it won't damage or wear out the torque converter?

And in a similar vein is it safe to creep along in Drive when in bumper to bumper traffic?

Old 08-24-2020, 07:34 AM
5 Year Member
Just drive it like a normal automatic.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by JingJangJoe
Just drive it like a normal automatic.
If you could please explain what that entails as the CVT is my first ever automatic, or maybe just answer my question if that's easier.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:14 AM
It is intended to keep it in D when driving forward, creeping or staying at idle e.g. on traffic lights. What you should not do is to increase engine rpm to stay on uphill for any longer than when you are about to go. But you may, if you for some reason wish, switch to N or P while waiting on traffic lights.

Old 08-24-2020, 08:25 AM
Thanks TnTkr
I understand to change into Reverse or Park I must be at a standstill but can I change into neutral from Drive whilst still moving and for that matter at any speed?
Not that I'd want to do that but in case the auto goes haywire at speed or something similar it will be good to know I can safely move it into neutral if needs be.

And likewise can I change from D to S and back again whilst still moving and at speed?

Quick Reply: Do's and don'ts with a CVT?