3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Push-button start and alarm question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 06:12 PM
Push-button start and alarm question

Hi all, I have a 2015 EX-L and I have been reading about the issue with the push button start and I think my problem may be related, but the actual question is because this is my first car with automatic anything, and maybe this is so obvious to people used to newer cars that they don't put it in the manual but I have no idea. So:

The light that says the signal from the fob is weak, had been coming on intermittently - I have two fobs and put brand new batteries in them, and it still happened with either fob.

Today, neither fob could unlock it, and the remote starter was unable to connect with it either.

I do know how to unlock and start the car if the battery in the fob is dead. What I'm concerned about is, if the problem is that the car can't detect the signal from the fob, and I try to start it and/or drive away, will it think it is being stolen and start honking, and if it can't receive a signal from the fob, how would I stop the honking.

Thanks!

Old 01-12-2021, 10:41 PM
Well... A friend came over to give me a boost, on the assumption that the car's battery is dead. I removed the physical key from the fob, and tried to unlock the driver's side door (the only keyhole), and although I was able to insert the key all the way and turn it about 90 degrees with no resistance, that didn't result in the door unlocking. Tried with the keys from both fobs, nothing.

Now what?

Old 01-12-2021, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
Dead Fit.

Did you turn off your Fit in neutral? Or maybe the gear lever isn't fully in the park position.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by Chitown Fit
Did you turn off your Fit in neutral? Or maybe the gear lever isn't fully in the park position.
I know both of those could make it not start, but why would they prevent the door from being opened by the key? (And even if that is the problem, I need to be able to get in if I am going to do anything about it)

Old 01-13-2021, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member
putting the key in the door is SUPPOSED to allow you access. Not sure why it wouldn't.

As far as the other questions.

The fob may be reporting low battery, or not detecting at all, if it is blocked by something. Do you keep it buried in a purse? or in your pocket behind a cell phone? or in one of those silicon protective cases? Those are all situations I've found that can cause the signal to be weakened to the point where it doesn't function as it should.

If the battery is dead, or dying, and you can't get it to start. The the solution is to hold the key fob up directly against the button while pressing it. There is a low range chip in there that allows it to start even without power (similar to the chips in the previous generation of keys that stopped the ignition from turning if you tried to pick the lock)

Old 01-13-2021, 08:21 AM
I guess it's time to call a pro, since I can't try anything else until I can actually get inside, and the physical key in the physical keyhole isn't doing the job.

Would it ever happen that with a used car a dealer might program some fobs and forget to make sure the physical key part is cut correctly? (But then wouldn't I have trouble inserting and turning the key?)

Or is the thing that causes the door to unlock when you turn the key, also dependent on the car battery?

So frustrated.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:24 PM
latest update

1. I called the dealership where I got the car, and also the mechanic shop where I have taken every car I have ever owned, and told them about the mechanical key being able to be inserted in the lock and turned but the door not unlocking, and they were stumped and recommended to call AMA and have them break in then jumpstart it.

2. AMA came and broke in and jumpstarted it - and the AMA guy was also baffled why the key wouldn't unlock the door

3. Now I am sitting here in my car while it runs and recharges the battery (outdoors, don't worry) and all is still not well, because I have both my fobs in the car with me - and one of them I put a brand new battery in just the other day - and I have a flashing message that says "no key" - which is something different from the orange-ish light that sometimes comes on saying that the signal from the key is weak.

So I guess I will sit here a while longer to be sure the battery is charged up, and call my mechanic to set up an appointment. And hope I can get in and start it to take it there.

Old 01-13-2021, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
Car Battery

The car battery is charged? And the key fob battery is also charged. I can't think why you wouldn't be able to get in your car.