3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

squeaking/squealing noise on right side

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 09:53 PM
dac
squeaking/squealing noise on right side

Hello! I bought my first Fit, and 2015 EX last week. I just noticed a squeaking/squealing sound coming from the right side. I can only hear it with the window down. Here's the weird part-- I can also only hear it when I am driving past parked cars. When I drive through an intersection, or where there's nothing to my right, I don't hear anything. I thought it was the wind or something when I drive next to something, but I've never noticed this when I'm in other cars.
I found a post from a couple years ago describing the same thing, someone suggested it was the hubcap, but wasn't definitive. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ight-side.html
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!

Old 05-29-2021, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Your EX came stock with alloys. No hubcaps / wheel covers involved unless you switched back to steelies, which were stock on the LX.

Could you be more specific when it comes to the quality and character of the sound? Is it all the time, intermittent, only going over bumps, etc.

Could be lots of things: suspension related, or the rubber door, window and sunroof surrounds losing integrity or seal.

Also no idea of how many miles on your vehicle. If it's getting up there, suspension higher on the list, though seals still come into play.

Old 05-29-2021, 10:17 PM
dac
Thanks for the response. It is all the time when my foot's on the gas, it stops when I brake. It seems to be in time with the wheel rotation, as in it's not a constant squeal, but seems to squeak rhythmically. I don't think it's the doors or windows because I don't hear anything when the windows are closed.
Also, when I bought the car a week ago they put 4 new tires on. Could that have something to do with it-- something with the new tires needs to be adjusted?
Car has 80k miles.
I tried to record it on my phone, couldn't pick up anything, if I could I wouldn't be trying these silly explanations of the sound.
Would have loved to have owned this car more than two weeks before worrying about a noise...

Last edited by dac; 05-30-2021 at 12:14 AM. Reason: added the tire info
Old 05-30-2021, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
Best guess? When the new tires were installed, could have disturbed a brake pad which could cause noise/vibration while the car is in motion. Most likely the right front or rear if that's the side you're hearing.

If you have the paperwork for that transaction, I'd take it back to that installer for another look.

Old 05-30-2021, 04:31 PM
dac
Thanks for the help! I'll see what they say...