3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Has anyone ever taken their Honda Fit 2015 ex on a road trip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 12:19 PM
Has anyone ever taken their Honda Fit 2015 ex on a road trip?

Hello! I have a 2015 Honda Fit ex. 156,000 miles roughly. She’s in perfect shape and I love her dearly, her name is Shonda. I’ve only had her maybe five months. I’m wondering if anyone has ever taken their Honda Fit 2015 on long distance trips, and if so how it did? And if it didn’t go well, what went wrong? The reason im curious is because we just got back from a road trip and we were riding in a 2018 Subaru cross trek, and I saw TONS of them on the highways and freeways. We see lots of Honda fits around home, but I was curious why none were on the highways and freeways and perhaps there is something about them that don’t travel well. Please tell me your stories! Thank you.

Old 08-19-2022, 06:24 PM
I've taken my '16 on several cross country trips between Edmonton Alberta and Toronto Ontario. I try to go through the US if possible. Personally I find the seating position comfortable. I have had the car very, very packed both inside and on the roof rack basket. I find the sweet spot for fuel economy to be 80kph or about 50mph. Anything over 60mph and the mileage really suffers. Also the car isn't quiet. You'll experience that. Since I've upgraded my audio system including sound deadening, it's much more tolerable for me. My most aggressive past driving experience included 6 yrs of open track days (not in the Fit though) so rough weather and surfaces and other situations I can handle. I am running 195/55/16 Nokian WR54 tires on stock rims and I find them much more comfortable, slightly quieter and way grippier (they are V rated all weathers) than the stock Firestones. Just at the beginning of this month, I drove over 4000km with a comically overloaded car and with A/C on the whole time and still got decent fuel economy : Bruce Lee (Honda Fit) | Fuelly

I take very good care of my Fit either personally and with regular dealer maintenance.

I have slept in the Fit many, many times on these drives. Either across the rear seats or if there's no room, right in the drivers seat.

There is a member named Silver Surfer I think that posts great pics of his cross country trips.

If I encounter a problem, either I try to fix it myself or I always have CAA (AAA for you). Luckily nothing has ever happened.

Old 08-20-2022, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
The Fit is a small car. A trip can be fine for a couple people but you're not going to pack the wife, the three kids, and the two dogs and the goldfish in a Fit then head out on a two week vacation. You'll take something a lot bigger.

Also worth keeping in mind that the Fit sales have always been on the lightweight side of things. There really aren't that many Fits around although in some areas where they sold well they may be more noticeable locally but that also might be more because of the durability of the cars that keeps them on the roads for a long time.

Old 08-20-2022, 10:20 AM
I travel state to state in mine. And I see Fit's everywhere on the road when I'm on roadtrips. These cars are small so if you are packing or buying lots of stuff than you will want to upgrade to a larger vehicle.

Old 08-20-2022, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
we were contemplating driving down to Florida from New York late October in my '19 LX . it only has around 43k on it .it's definitely road worthy . not too sure now as i'm getting a little leery
about driving around down there with N.Y. plates .

Last edited by bill bosco; 08-20-2022 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2022, 01:46 PM
Yeah, I have taken it from Sydney to Byron Bay North Coast of NSW bordering Queensland, Australia. A few things to note. The car can do it no problem. But remember it's not going to be quite trip a lot road and wind noise. Also it does sway if you hit some gusty winds depends on the weather of course. Plus it lack torque so you can at time feel like driving a sewing machine. Buzzing along and not going fast lol. Apart from that it's all good. This car would be a awesome cruiser if it had a k24 engine, upgraded powerflex bushing, rigid collar and improved sound deadening.

Old 08-20-2022, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
Absolutely. We take a big trip once a year. Last year was 5600 miles. Our Fit has been everywhere east of Idaho from our home in Tampa Bay. There's two of us and just about everything including the kitchen sink in the car. It's been terrific.

Old 08-22-2022, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
I have a 2016 LX but they are similar enough. Last month I went on a 3500 mile (total) road trip to Idaho. Being a small car, it got a little uncomfortable after about 10 hours on the road but was never outright awful. I planned for car camping but never ended up doing that due to having a place to stay. All my luggage and supplies fit (ha), even if I did end up using the front seat. Good thing it was a solo trip. Great gas mileage, but small tank meant filling up frequently. Tiny engine with CVT gave it a little bit of a challenge in the mountains but was great on the highway. Never saw a whole lot of Fits, but that was mainly because I was in Subaru country. I almost convinced my buddy up there to buy a Fit since he was impressed with mine and his car was on the way out, but he ended up with something a little larger. Understandable when you have kids.

That being said, it'll be a while until I do a long trip like that again, especially in this car. It would sure be nice to have radar cruise control and a little more room to move around in, but I'm glad I have my Fit.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:42 AM
Just picked up a 2019 Sport w/CVT for my daughter’s use. I’m in NY while she’s in Cali so I have a 3K trip ahead of me in the coming weeks.
I love a good road-trip and have driven coast to coast before but never in such a small car.
Low mileage car (24K). Will purchase new tires before I hit the road.
Hoping the driver seat is comfortable as planning to drive 10-12 hours per day.
Thoughts, suggestions and advice welcome.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:42 PM
You guys in the New World have longer distances than we have in Europe, but I have been driving full days with my GK5 Jazz and think it is perfectly suitable for long distance road trips. I have been driving both bigger and smaller cars and trucks during my life and I would say it is different but not worse than most trucks and SUVs - and many cars too. I have tried some really horrible modern cars too. In Fit/Jazz the driver is sensing better the car's behaviour from the seat and steering than in bigger cars. Some people may take it as less comfortable but for me it is preferred and enable better control.

Old 08-28-2022, 02:03 AM
I refuse to drive anything longer than 1 hour from home in our FIT.
I know mechanically it can handle it, but the HKS cool style 2 exhaust and Honda performance suspension renders the car exhausting to drive (despite having good a/c and cruise control).

As a result I always prefer renting a large car (Camry/Malibu/Altima/Mazda6 etc).
It not only is quieter, but the fuel economy is decent and the seats are far more comfy.
But around town, nothing touches the FIT!

Old 08-28-2022, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
Long Road Trip.

I've driven my 2015 EX stick from Chicago to Charlotte North Carolina and back to Chicago. Not one problem. Well actually I had a slow leak in one of those crappy Firestone tires that came with my Fit when got to Charlotte. Had a new tire put on. All went great.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:39 PM
Morelia, Mexico to Chattanooga, TN. return 4000 miles.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:03 PM
I went from Texas to Arizona in my 2015 Honda Fit and car camped on the way and back. No issues at all

Old 09-03-2022, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
We're off to Maine from Tampa shortly.... can't wait!

Old 09-03-2022, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by exl500
We're off to Maine from Tampa shortly.... can't wait!
Lucky you, Maine is one of my favorite vacation places. My son and I spent many summers camping/hiking/kayaking through Acadia and surrounding areas.
What year And model Fit will you be traveling in?
I’ll be heading from NY to CA at some point in the next couple of weeks in a new to me CVT equipped 19 Fit Sport. Planning on taking 4 or 5 days. Hoping it proves comfortable enough so no backaches, etc.

Old 09-03-2022, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
If it wasn't for winter we'd be in Maine. But we do love Florida too. I can't see your post while I'm replying (???) But we'll be in Boothbay for a week in September. Can't wait!

Old 09-03-2022, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, it's a 2015 GK EX red with 62k miles. I'll answer any other unanswered questions when I go back and look at your post; -)

Old 09-04-2022, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Cash Money!
Lucky you, Maine is one of my favorite vacation places. My son and I spent many summers camping/hiking/kayaking through Acadia and surrounding areas.
What year And model Fit will you be traveling in?
I’ll be heading from NY to CA at some point in the next couple of weeks in a new to me CVT equipped 19 Fit Sport. Planning on taking 4 or 5 days. Hoping it proves comfortable enough so no backaches, etc.
Recline the drivers seat a couple of clicks back from your usual position. Then adjust the mirrors/steering wheel to the new position.
Every degree you recline will reduce the amount of pressure on your lower back and butt.

Old 09-04-2022, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by BMWguy22
Recline the drivers seat a couple of clicks back from your usual position. Then adjust the mirrors/steering wheel to the new position.
Every degree you recline will reduce the amount of pressure on your lower back and butt.
Much appreciated, will give this a try on day one of the trip and see how I feel after my first 10-12 hour shift.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever taken their Honda Fit 2015 ex on a road trip?